Farscape Returns with New Season 4 Episodes

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone needs to watch the new episodes of Farscape which begin tonight. Watch and then post your thoughts on the show. If you have any questions on what is going on let us know and we'll try to help.

DW asked me to pass this post along from him...

The remaining 11 episodes of season four air on the SciFi Channel 1/10. All Henson fans are being urged to tune in even if you're not a regular viewer. Whether the series continues in any form after these 11 episodes be it in the form of a movie or another season on SciFi or another network will depend largely on the ratings.

Because the save Farscape movement has been the biggest save-a-show campaign in the history of such movements, the entire entertainment industry is watching...but people have to watch the show as well!! Farscape has been a very important show to the Henson Company as a franchise and to Brian Henson personally as a dream project of his that he's worked tirelessly for a decade to even get on the air in the first place and i would urge all Henson fans to show their support at this important time!

Anyone tuning in for the first time wanting to learn more about the storyline and characters up to now may want to go to www.savefarscape.com and click on "A Farscape Primer" which does an excellent job of efficiently summarizing plot/characters.

beaker

Reaction score
I just checked out the SaveFarscape site...their forum has 2000 members with over 120 people on at any given time?

I find it both refreshing yet a bit unnerving such audacious fervent zealously runs in that camp(for a 4 year old show) when the pasison seems to be a bit down for the overall JHC world of the lats 50 years. Maybe its savvy media blitzkrieging...but does Farscape have more hardcore fans than JHC's flagship brand?

It's just strange is all...I dont see why this show was cancelled if there are so many ardent staunchly diehard Farscape fans. I guess the next 11 episodes will be the true testament to the fan agenda of saving Farscape.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Phil for giving me a heads up as to my thread's move to a more properly suited section here in the forums. As for the show itself, though I don't have a little ratings box attached to my television set, I've been watching the series since the beginning like other series I've been enthusiastically supporting. Hopefully the last batch of episodes will indeed prove to bring in the needed ratings so that the show can continue on the air. I'll tell you one thing, the first of these episodes has a nice little tribute to Sesame Street. Hope the fans can really pull it off and bring back the show for its final fifth season.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Friday's episode was excellent because it worked on several levels. The most prominent is that most of the show was based on earth. Everyone can relate to earth and experiences with family and friends. The fact that it was the past made it that much more interesting. The Kermit and Cookie Monster segment was just a great nod to fans and Henson as well that it was icing on the cake. Ratings info on Friday night should be out in the next few days...

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the place where I'm staying doesn't have cable. So I'm having my parents tape the episodes for me and then send it to me. So I have to wait even longer!! Aargh!! (Don't worry, I don't have a ratings box so it doesn't affect anything.)

Cory, about Farscape's following versus the Muppets: Keep in mind that FS is a well-made show that's currently on the air. The Muppet Show, on the other hand, is not even in reruns in this country right now, and the Muppets only have a movie about every 3 and a half years, many of which have recieved mixed reviews even from hardcore fans. If there was a TV show that was of TMS' quality that had just debuted four years ago, and was currently fighting for its survival, you can bet there would be an equally large contingent of fans fighting for that as well.

Can't wait to see the new eps!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down

Cory, about Farscape's following versus the Muppets: Keep in mind that FS is a well-made show that's currently on the air. The Muppet Show, on the other hand, is not even in reruns in this country right now, and the Muppets only have a movie about every 3 and a half years, many of which have recieved mixed reviews even from hardcore fans. If there was a TV show that was of TMS' quality that had just debuted four years ago, and was currently fighting for its survival, you can bet there would be an equally large contingent of fans fighting for that as well.
True, but when I say the Muppets..I mean 50 years of everything from Muppet Show, Sesame, and Fraggle Rock, to Bear in the Big Blue House, Hoobs, Mopatop, and everything in between.

Hey, I wonder what it will be like on the forums when the Fox show airs, AND if it is a hit? Will it be like "Oh gee, look whose all decided to jump on the forum bandwagon? Where you folks 6 months or a year ago on here?" or what Im hoping...

"Finally, everyone is finally realizing the Muppets are as hip as ever". Either way I expect a distinct fan shift/influx by this Fall.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You are mentioning a lot of shows that are either off the air or ones that are geared toward children (though many of us adults like them too).

Most adults might just watch the Hoobs or Sesame Street, but not choose to join a forum while many younger kids aren't permitted to go online without strict parent supervision.

Plus - there are many sci-fi fans in the world with a lot of time on their hands - if you know what I mean. Not that it's a bad thing - just a common difference.

That's why I am glad that the Christmas special was geared more toward the older crowd. I think many people (even some fans) have been lulled into the sense that the Muppets always have to be for kids and that being kid-friendly should be their primary focus. I see it differently and find this new step with the Muppets encouraging. I think things could very well change in years to come.

Heck, we have nearly 1,400 members right now and up to 136 Members on at a time (as forums log such things). Not too bad.

I think the biggest culprit behind the lack of Muppet enthusiasm is the Henson PR department. Who in the world knows about the figures, the busts or the new show coming out on Fox? It's a skeleton crew over there, but Muppet Central and other Muppet fans sites do what they can. In recent years, the Muppet gang has made themselves the best-kept secret.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
You are mentioning a lot of shows that are either off the air or ones that are geared toward children (though many of us adults like them too).

Most adults might just watch the Hoobs or Sesame Street, but not choose to join a forum while many younger kids aren't permitted to go online without strict parent supervision.
Ack, you know you are 100% right. It's interesting...but do you folks on here realize how big the Muppets are in the UK and Europe in general? The Muppets have remained so healthy in the UK...heck JHC and JHC CS have their biggest facilities in the UK.
Mcdonalds there has had months of continuous Muppet related stuff(Muppets, Bear, etc) They got the I love The BBC Special.
There's a true love their, and a sense that the Muppets never left the spotlight there. Here in the states, the 'nostalgia' mindset comes in.

Plus - there are many sci-fi fans in the world with a lot of time on their hands - if you know what I mean. Not that it's a bad thing - just a common difference.

That's why I am glad that the Christmas special was geared more toward the older crowd. I think many people (even some fans) have been lulled into the sense that the Muppets always have to be for kids and that being kid-friendly should be their primary focus. I see it differently and find this new step with the Muppets encouraging. I think things could very well change in years to come.
True, sci fi fans and online gamers seem to be much much more rabid. I mean forums created for an online rpg that doesnt come out for months(cityofheroes.com) already has about 25,000.
You dont even wanna kno whow many registered members are on starwars, thesimpsons, everquest, or anarchyonline.

But Im thinking...this whole notion that the Muppets are kiddy stuff will all change *hopefully* when the Fox show starts.
Hopefully this, this will finally be the change weve been looking for.

Heck, we have nearly 1,400 members right now and up to 136 Members on at a time (as forums log such things). Not too bad.

I think the biggest culprit behind the lack of Muppet enthusiasm is the Henson PR department. Who in the world knows about the figures, the busts or the new show coming out on Fox? It's a skeleton crew over there, but Muppet Central and other Muppet fans sites do what they can. In recent years, the Muppet gang has made themselves the best-kept secret.
Indeed, I cannot over look the fact JHC has for some odd reason decided not to do any sort of promotion for a variety of things. How many oppurtunities did they have to plug the figures? Why was there no 'shameless' self plug for the figures in VMC? Or any mention of em on one of Kermit's many appearences? It doesnt make any sense.

So yes, it all comes back to that Fox show...the show, the figures(when they REALLY start heating up with Pepe!), the buyout deal(What happened to that? All quiet on the Western front!), etc.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No one I knew ever knew that Muppets Tonight was on until it had been canceled. But yeah, the Muppets are bigger overseas. They aren't that big as has been claimed. That's a misconception, a "grass is greener" mentality that isn't as true as we want to make it. There just hasn't been a good Muppet vehicle for a very long time. But the UK crowd does get a lot more of the goods than we do.

Farscape has received a lot of promotion, commercials, posters, exclusive TV guide covers and countless Sci-Fi mags. It's really all about PR. When a certain property is hot and new, people scramble to attach their name to it, but the Muppets have been around a while and now they have to do more of the footwork.