Favorite Bert and Ernie Sketch

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
i don't think this was posted but it was where Ernie wants to play football and bert would rather read and Ernie asks if your OK and Bert says he's fine but Ernie doesn't think so and exammines him like a doctor would. i love that part where Ernie listens to Bert's heartbeast and sings along with it and Bett says alright alright i'll come with you to play football but then Ernie claims he's not feeling well and doesn't want to play football. yeah like he's really sick.
Just looking at some of the past posts on this thread, and this one brought back another funny B&E memory. I also loved where Ernie was listening to Bert's heart (while Bert was lying flat out on the table) and started singing. From what I recall, what Ernie sang went like this: "Kathump, kathump, kathumpie, kathump, yup ba da beeble dee beeble dee bup bup bup bup bup!"
To which Bert reached his breaking point and leaped up off the table. The whole skit was very funny, with Ernie going back and forth getting things to put on Bert (like a hot water bottle but then an ice pack!). At one point when Ernie says, " Be right back", Bert's lying on his back on the table and turns to the audience and says,"Why am I doing this?" Loved it!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
but do you remember the plot to it? Ernie wants to go and play Football and Bert rather stay home and read and Ernirie thinks or more like pretends to think Bert's i'll and the last straw was Ernie's listening to Bert's heart and he's gives in choosing to go and play football with Ernie and then he claims he's not feeling well.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes I remember this entire skit pretty well. And the ending where after Bert finally agrees to play football with Ernie, and Ernie suddenly changing his mind and saying he doesn't feel well and is going to lie down, brings up an interesting idea. When Ernie gets Bert aggravated is it due to his character being well-meaning but stupid, or is Ernie just playing dumb but just likes to intentionally tease his buddy and see him exasperated? My thinking is that sometimes it is one and other times it is the other. In this skit, it seems that Ernie did a 180 on playing football on purpose, to tease Bert. And the one where he counts to ten and keeps starting over he definitely appears to be realizing what he's doing and enjoying Bert freaking out. He's definitely got that teasing streak in him, as we see in the one where he turns the radio knob up and down on Bert's chest as Bert is yelling. On the other hand, there are plenty of skits where I think Ernie does dumb things out of actual stupidity or naivety. Like the ones where Ernie empties the overflowing water in the house by using a small cup, where Ernie is wondering who is sick on SS when it should be so obvious with Bert right there in bed coughing and
moaning, and all the times Lefty the Salesman persuades him to spend money on worthless things. Then there are those skits that are kind of hard to tell either way. I'm thinking of the one where Bert can't sleep with the faucet dripping and Ernie takes care of it by turning on the radio and the vacuum cleaner. Was he just messing with Bert or did he sincerely believe he was helping eliminate the dripping nuisance?

astrotrain

Reaction score
Mine... The Imagination Airplane

Bert and Ernie imagine they are going to fly a plane, and sit in two chairs.

Then as they imagine, there apartment turns into a field, and they start
the motor.

From what I recall, Bert panics as there airplane nearly misses some trees
and shouts "Thats a silly place to put trees!!".

Ziffel

Reaction score
I never saw this one with Ernie and Bert, however I remember from the mid 70's seeing one just like it with Bert and Maria. Bert and Maria are sitting in 2 chairs on Sesame Street ( in the playground area to the right of Hooper's store). They imagine they are flying a plane with Bert as the pilot. During this "flight" it's Maria who is very nervous and afraid of hitting trees and other objects. Bert is cool as a cucumber and enjoying it. At the end, after they "land", Maria is still a bit shaken up and says, "Bert, the next time we go up in the air I'LL fly the plane."

SesameMike

Reaction score
astrotrain said:
Bert panics as there airplane nearly misses some trees
and shouts "Thats a silly place to put trees!!".
Is this the one in which Bert and Maria are pretending to fly a helicopter?

In this case, Bert's quote was "What a stupid place to put trees, don't they know people are flying here?"
Maria: "Oh Bert, that was a close one."

Bert had a book on how to fly. At one point Bert dropped the book under Maria's leg while they were upside-down! At that point, the countryside background suddenly switched to the edge of a large city.

Finally, Maria spots an "airport" (actually a smaller office building with a helipad in the back) and Bert looks in the book to learn how to land. "Landing, page nn." At the pad, Bert almost collides with another landing chopper, but Maria reassures him that it's only their shadow. Bert said "landing, light as a feather." In reality, "It's a heavy feather, eh-eh-eh."

At the end, back on chairs near Hooper's store, Maria did say, "Next time, I'll fly the helicopter."

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes that's exactly the same one I was talking about. Only difference being the helicopter. Maria did say at the end, "Next time I'll fly the PLANE", but was probably meaning plane in a general sense as any flying object (as the word car is sometimes used for any ground vehicle). But I'm positive you are talking about the same segment.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Also, on the way to that office building/airport, they came dangerously close to getting entangled in some telephone wires. While I'm sure that the real helicopter that did the filming was a safe distance away, it still looked kind of precarious.

astrotrain

Reaction score
Yes!

SesameMike said:
Is this the one in which Bert and Maria are pretending to fly a helicopter?

In this case, Bert's quote was "What a stupid place to put trees, don't they know people are flying here?"
Maria: "Oh Bert, that was a close one."

Bert had a book on how to fly. At one point Bert dropped the book under Maria's leg while they were upside-down! At that point, the countryside background suddenly switched to the edge of a large city.

Finally, Maria spots an "airport" (actually a smaller office building with a helipad in the back) and Bert looks in the book to learn how to land. "Landing, page nn." At the pad, Bert almost collides with another landing chopper, but Maria reassures him that it's only their shadow. Bert said "landing, light as a feather." In reality, "It's a heavy feather, eh-eh-eh."

At the end, back on chairs near Hooper's store, Maria did say, "Next time, I'll fly the helicopter."
Thats the one know after reading it... yes it was not Bert and Ernie, but it's the "Classic" Bert that I enjoy remembering (and hopefuly watching again soon).

Thanks for the memory jog.

FshyFshyFshy

Reaction score
Wow it's been great reading through all these posts...so many great memories!! Of all the Muppets, Ernie & Bert are by far my favorite, especially Ernie. I was always drawn to his happy go lucky personality and could identify with that at quite a young age and onward. I have many favorites, but a few of them include:

A segment where Ernie brings home (or somehow has a television) that only says "H...H...H.." and then when he turns it off, he pulls out things that start with H. Then the tv says, "I...I...I.." I haven't seen this skit in YEARS and would give my right arm to see it once again! hehe It's funny how I was so scared of that tv as a young child (maybe the deep voice?) but it's still managed to be a favorite!

I can't believe no one has mentioned (unless I missed it somehow, if so I apologize!) the skit of Ernie & Bert in Egypt - what a CLASSIC!!

There's another skit, I don't remember the complete storyline behind it (something to do with a party?) where at the end of the skit Ernie is telling Bert about a special guest and he points him to the camera and Bert is supposedly looking at me (the audience) and "I'm" (the one watching the tv) that special guest. That made me feel soooo good! lol

I remember another skit that had something to do with Ernie selling apples and I loved the cash register he used, so much so that I begged my mom to buy me a toy cash register.

I loved the one too with the clay headbust of Bert that was missing the nose (which of course was taken off the real Bert), but there's another one I remember where Ernie is drawing an outline on the tv screen of Bert that I also enjoyed alot.

Not to be forgotten of course is the "Here Fishy! Fishy!! Fishy!!!" skit!! :stick_out_tongue:

Man, I wish Sesame Workshop would come out with a "Definitive Bert & Ernie" collection on DVD...that would be a dream come true!!