1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Favorite Big Bird Moments

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by TravellingMatt, Aug 2, 2002.

1. TravellingMatt

TravellingMatt Well-Known Member

Here are some of them!

The first time Big Bird meets Snuffleupagus, mainly because it's interesting to see how far the Snuffy puppet has come since his debut on the Street. And I still like Jerry's Snuffy a bit better than Martin's.

Big Bird going to school for the first time, and trying to take his desk (which is nailed to the floor) home with him because the teacher said it was "his" at the beginning of the day. This episode was also highlighted with a great performance of "ABC-DEF-GHI".

Big Bird learning about death through the passing of his father figure, Mr. Hooper.

Big Bird offering to help run Hooper's Store while Mr. Hooper studies for night school. Of course, the Birdster doesn't know where anything is and Mr. Hooper has to do everything himself.

Mr. Hooper inventing a machine that makes 10 of anything put inside it...and Big Bird putting in a garbage can...you know the rest.

Big Bird and Snuffy in Hawaii looking for Mt. Snuffleupagus.

Big Bird and Bob in formal wear, with the Bird singing the "Alphabet Song" while Bob taps on glasses of water with a spoon.

Big Bird performing "The Curious Cantata" with Maria, Luis, and (I think) Bob.

Forgetful Jones sees Snuffy running in the NYC Marathon...and when Big Bird tries to get FJ to jog his memory for Bob...he naturally forgets!

2. MIKEB97

MIKEB97 Well-Known Member

Those are wonderful moments. Remember when Mr. Hooper asks Big Bird to open the store? A phone noise scares the dung out of the bird that he nearly runs away. Big Bird rides a unicycle down Sesame Street to catch Stevie wonder while Oscar stares at him in disbelief.

3. BiggNate

BiggNate Member

A small, but funny, one was when Big Bird, Elmo, and Gordon were witnessing some firemen rescuing someone from a fire. Gordon says something like, "They're going to use the ladder to get her down." Big Bird responds with, "Good thing they brought it!"

That cracks me up.

Nate

4. Jackie

Jackie Well-Known Member

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, it's the most unusual word i've ever seen...

5. Joseph

Joseph Well-Known Member

what about supercallifragilisticexpialidocious

6. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Well-Known Member

Yep, definately two important developing parts to Big Bird's character. My two favorite BB moments :D

7. CherryPizza

CherryPizza Well-Known Member

Too many classic Big Bird moments to mention.

My proposal for the Sesame Street special in 2004, to celebrate its 35th anniversary...

Guy Smiley's triumphant return to the Street will be to give the
    ultimate, long-overdue tribute. He sneaks into the yeller feller's
    nest, holds the big book before him and announces, BIG BIRD HERE IS YOUR LIFE!

All of the important events from SS history could be worked into the retrospective special, including clips from Christmas Eve on SS
    showing him trying to find out how Santa gets down the chimneys, Don't Eat the Pictures (he was locked in the museum with Snuffy and the Egyptian prince), the touching scene dealing with Mr Hooper's Death, Suffy's coming out, Follow That Bird...

And then when the other SS residents come out to "surprise"
    him, their individual tales can also be worked into the episode. Maria and Luis can remember his big cheer at their wedding, and the poem he and snuffy wrote for the baby shower when they couldn't afford a gift. Oscar can remember Big Bird's involvement in Slimey's voyage to the moon. Surely there's some scene about Gordon and Susan adopting Miles that involved Big Bird that can also be incorporated. As long as everyone's dropping in to surprise him, their own individual classic sketches could also be part of the show.

And of course the show can have a musical interlude, wherein some of the Bird's Sesame friends can perform a few of the Street's classic songs.

Cherry "the bird is the word" Pizza

8. Jackie

Jackie Well-Known Member

They should have a Guy Smilie's "HERE is your life!" and show all his past achievements. :)

9. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

Big Birds alphabet song

Big Birds Alphabet song was my favorite where he thought the alphabet was a word:)

10. Jackie

Jackie Well-Known Member

Re: Big Birds alphabet song

The funny things was, i thought it was a word too!!! LOL!!!

11. wockawocka

wockawocka Well-Known Member

All Big Bird moments are great! But Big Bird has gotten worse lately, it's sad, he is my favorite character. I liked him in FTB a lot and his few seconds in TMM. I REALLY live Big Bird though! Who can't resist a 7-foot tall bird?!

12. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

Don't feel embarressed, Rachel. I like Big Bird too. One of my other favorite S S muppets is cuddly old Grover. I will never forget when Big Bird was in the hospital for toncilitis. :)

13. guysmiley4ever

guysmiley4ever Well-Known Member

Gee by golly, fave Big bird moment? For some reason I keep going back to 'Follow that Bird'.
    My moment was when they colored Big bird blue and made him the 'blue bird of happiness' and he sang that super sad song, I was going thru the tissues like mad. *sniff*
    Then when he was rescued at the end...very awesome!

Of course, Big Bird is cool on sesame street when he's sleeping in his nest. That's always sweet, he's got his beak tucked in feathers and snoring and cooing. :sleep:

14. mikebennidict

mikebennidict Well-Known Member

There was one with Wille The Hot Dog Man, where he asks BB to look over his cart because he apparently has to go somewhere briefly. Wille shows him how to put on mustard and something else wich I can't remember.

Well when Willie returns BB does what he's told. However, he has put on both stuff on all of the hot dogs and when Willie returns, he's shocked.

15. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. Says it all.:wisdom:

16. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree that I love Big Bird in some of his movies- particularly Follow That Bird. But there's great moments all throughout- certainly the first meeting of Snuffy and the death of Mr. Hooper. I also thought the Hurricane episodes were great and Big Bird went through a lot in that one. I also love watching him in the Sesame Street specials like "Don't Eat the Pictures", "Big Bird in China" and "Big Bird in Japan". And the Christmas specials- "A Special Sesame Street Christmas" is fun, and the best part of "Elmo Saves Christmas" was Big Bird and Snuffy's friendship and seeing them reunited for Christmas! And definitely- "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street"! LOVE it! :)

17. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Because Big Bird is my absolute favorite Sesame Street Muppet, I would have to say that anything with him is worth it. It's because of how Caroll Spinney manages to bring him to life and make him the most loved Muppet on that show besides Elmo. :wisdom:

18. FatBlueMuppet

FatBlueMuppet Active Member

I think my favorite Big Bird moment was in Follow that Bird when he sees Ernie and Bert's airplane coming and says "Could that be.... Miss Finch?" Then that suspensful music plays and he runs and ducks and looks at the plane suspiciously. Poor bird must have thought Miss Finch got so fed up with chasing him, that she went crazy and was trying to plow him down with an airplane. lol :wisdom:

19. ErnieandTelly

ErnieandTelly Well-Known Member

I remember that Big Bird sang the ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ. Its so funny

20. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

It would be great to see a new Sesame Street special or straight-to-video release or something dedicated to Big Bird!:wisdom: