Favorite Books/Authors

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I'd love to write a whole list but for now - my favorite book of all time is If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino. Followed closely by The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My favorite author is probably John Updike, especially his "Rabbit" series of books. I'm also a big fan of Flannery O'Connor (especially "Revelation") and Woody Allen's essays (as weird as he may be now, he was pretty funny a long time ago).

As for less traditional stuff, I recently read "The Golden Compass" for a young adult literature class and it completely destroyed my mind. I can't believe that it's a young adult book with all its dense religious symbolism and layering. Has anybody else on here read that book?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------------
The whole Philip Pullman series is on my "should read" list but I haven't reached it yet. I have newish China Mieville, Harlan Ellison, and Jasper Fforde in the wings first!

Hey! someone else who knows who Walter Moers is! Bravo! Have you read "The City of Lost Books"?

-----------------------

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I love Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Timothy Zahn in the way of authors. As for books I like the Lord of the Ring Series, the Hobbit, Chronicles of Narnia, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and lately my dad has turned me on to the Star Wars novels.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------------------
All the fiction you guys are listing is good solid stuff, I think...but what about nonfiction? Other than celeb bios, does anyone read serious nonfic?

My reading jag lately has been all press/journalism/censorship works. There's another thread on here discussing those in particular. But I'm curious whether anyone else prefers nonfic reading.

-------------------------

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I enjoy reading reference books if that counts. Right now I've got a zoology textbook that I'm making my way through.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------------
Of course reference counts! Heck, most of my NF reads are for my own research. I've learned a great deal about the American Revolution, 19th-century classical music, Eastern European myth and folklore, the Rom, and journalism. MUCH more enjoyable than any class!

---------------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Favorite Authors:
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
James Patterson
Ray Bradbury
Edgar Allen Poe

Favorite Fiction Books:
The Catcher in the Rye *top favorite*
Fahrenheit 451
Lord of the Flies
Odd Thomas
Maximum Ride (the 4th book was kinda meh...)
Pet Sematary (Truly a book for Ramones fans if there ever was one)

Favorite Auto Bios:
Punk Rock Dad-Jim Lindburg (its funny because my dad is an ex-punk, and both he and Jim Lindburg have the same, dry sense of humor that I inherited)
Lobotomy: Surviving the Ramones-Dee Dee Ramone (he is a surprisingly coherent writer, even if it is a tad disjointed)

Favorite Short Story:
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Yellow Wallpaper

Favorite Poem:
The Road Not Taken

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------
EXCELLENT choices (IMHO)! Sgt Floyd, have you read Ambrose Bierce (whom Bradbury loves, and who was more succinct and dry-witted than Poe) or Dan Simmons? You would probably like them.

------------------