Favorite Characters Then and Now

dvakman

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that different characters have appeal when watching the show in adulthood versus childhood? For example, Big Bird is much less appealing to me now; he was mainly for the kids. However, characters like Bert, Oscar, and Grover are much more interesting now as I notice all the nuances of character and little jokes that would have gone over my head back then.

BWSmith

Reaction score
Bert, Ernie, Kermit, and Grover have always been far more interesting to me than anyone else on the street.

Cookie is funny, but he's a one-trick pony. Big Bird is whiny. Oscar only serves to balance out the cheese potential of the human actors. Herry was underdeveloped.

Censored

Reaction score
Bert has been my constant favorite throughout the years.

Jessica

Reaction score
I used to like that one African Muppet. I think his name was Alexander? Hasn't been on there for awhile though.

I think my overall favourite would be Bert and Ernie as well. They've become less and less into the script though.

Mike

Reaction score
Well that's a shame, because Bert and Ernie were my favorite part of the show as a kid.

I think the more I grew up the more I liked Oscar. When I was like 2 I thought he was scary, but over the years he grew to be one of my favorites.

I also always loved it when Kermit showed up. It's a shame they don't do that anymore.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
My mom told me that this is how it goes in Japan:

*Little (3-5) kids like Elmo and Big Bird

*When they get older, they like either Cookie or Bert

*Average ones like characters like Oscar (and the same goes for other characters)

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
Big Bird was once my favorite charachter. Now he just seems okay. But not my favorite. But I remember as a kid watching the show, the show just didn't seem complete if Big Bird wasn't in it at least once, even if it was just an insert. Especially if Snuffy was in the episode and Big Bird wasn't. Surprizingly, Elmo never appealed much to me. I was about 4 years old when he first made his debut on the show, although at that time he was played by Richard Hunt and the charachter was kind of dull. When Kevin Clash started performing him in November 1985, I was close to turing 5 years old, so my taste had probably changed. Cookie Monster used to be one of my favorites and now he's not. Amazing Mumford was always one of my favorites. I always loved it when he was in a main storyline because some of his tricks were hillarous. Especially the time he turned Maria into a duck and a duck into Maria, and the time he turned Gordon into a Grouch and Oscar into a nice, friendly person. Biff and Sully never interested me before, but now I think those 2 are awsome.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Cookie Monster was and always has been my very favorite character.. but I also liked the Count (and still do), but I've found that I like The Amazing Mumford more and more as I get older

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I was a kid, Ernie was by and far my favorite. He was so funny and mischevious. But now when I watch Bert and Ernie, Ernie seems frustratingly inconsiderate. I always end up feeling sorry for Bert. Guess that means I'm getting old! lol :frown: :stick_out_tongue:

Plus, I was never that into Big Bird, but now I really enjoy his voice and childlike attitude.

anytimepally

Reaction score
heralde said:
But now when I watch Bert and Ernie, Ernie seems frustratingly inconsiderate. I always end up feeling sorry for Bert. Guess that means I'm getting old! lol :frown: :stick_out_tongue:

yeah.. if Ernie was my roomy, I'd change the locks :stick_out_tongue: