1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Favorite Count Von Count Moments

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by TravellingMatt, Aug 20, 2002.

1. TravellingMatt

TravellingMatt New Member

Greetings! ANd now it is time for us to count all the vonderful memories of the Count Von Count on Sesame Street, ah ha ha ha ha!

The Count on "Beat The Time", where he has 20 seconds to bring forth two things that come from the sky. When he counts his 20 seconds down, the traditional thunder and lightning ensues. And what does the Count want as his prize? Another 20 seconds!

The Count sings "Eight Beautiful Notes", not to be confused with Rowlf's "Eight Little Notes".

The Count gives his irritated bats a chance to count...they can count all the Counts in the room, and he gets to count all the bats!

The Count and Susan Sarandon in a Rocky Horror spoof where they're stuck in the rain and go to a spooky castle and knock on the door. Turns out it's the Count's place...he just likes to count the times he knocks!

The Count writes a film called "Counting" (which is...well, just that) and auditions Kathleen Turner.

The Count stands on top of a lamppost to count all the lights that go on...then off...on Sesame Street. He then sleeps on top of the lamppost waiting for it to turn off, although Luis tells him to go home.

The Count sings about his first day of school. Can anyone name his ten classmates?

And one of my personal favorites...the Count sleeps over at Ernie and Bert's place, sleeping in Bert's bed while Bert crashes on the couch. Ernie gets a dose of his own medicine as the Count keeps him up all night with his counting sheep, thus rendering Ernie a walking zombie the next morning.
  2. Billy's Girl

Billy's Girl New Member

Once I got over my fear of the Count my favourite moment is him singing 'Lambaba'. The song makes me laugh whenever I hear it played which is about once a day since I have a copy of it on tape.
  3. Jackie

Jackie New Member

Nothing can beat the Batty Bat! Oh! And Count up to Nine for me!

The first day that I went to school yes, I remember clearly
    My mummy made me leave at home the spiders I loved dearly
    I felt a little sad as I walked through the classroom door,
    But then I saw more children than I'd ever seen before.
    "Ah ha!" I cried, "this new school will be fun
    For I can count all of the children one by one"

Yes, I'll count Gregory and Sue, that makes number 1 and 2
    I'll count Boris and Igor that makes number 3 and 4
    Maurice, Jane and Eloise, 5, 6, 7 if you please
    Theodore and Adeline make number 8 and number 9
    And then, I will count Ben,
    For Ben is number 10

Yes, there's Gregory, Sue, and Boris
    Igor, Eloise, and Maurice
    Theodore, Jane and Adeline and Ben
    And that makes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The teacher taught the alphabet, we had to learn each letter
    The alphabet was not much fun, but then things got much better
    The teacher said "My children dear, it's time for numbers now
    Can anybody count to ten?"
    A small voice cried "And how!"
    "Just watch" I cried, "before this class is done,
    I will count all of the children one by one"

Yes, I'll count Gregory and Sue, that makes number 1 and 2
    I'll count Boris and Igor that makes number 3 and 4
    Maurice, Jane and Eloise, 5, 6, 7 if you please
    Theodore and Adeline makes number 8 and number 9
    And then, I will count Ben,
    For Ben is number 10

Yes, there's Gregory, Sue, and Boris
    Igor, Eloise, and Maurice
    Theodore, Jane and Adeline and Ben
    And that makes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Alright, everybody! All together now!

There's Gregory, Sue, and Boris,
    Igor, Eloise, and Morris,
    Theodore, Jane, and Adeline, and Ben.
    And that makes one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten!

Yes, ha ha!
    But those are only just some of the children in the class.
    Next I must count the rest of the children.
    Then I must count the children in the all the other classes in the school.
    And then I will count all the children in all the schools everywhere!

Ah, let me begin!
    There's Ermangart, that's eleven!
    There's Gerhart, that's twelve!
    Renadi, thirteen!
    Steve, fourteen!
    Bella, fifteen!
    Oh, I love it so much!
    Oh ho!
  4. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Jeez! you people don't even give me a chance to name those kids! but yeah, that was a great one

the Susan Serandon has always been one of my favorites, and doing the batty bat, and when the Count sleeps over at Ernie's.

But actually my favorites are all the ones when he's at his castle. The ones with his family members or girlfriend or something (do any of you remember one like that?), and then i think there was one where Ernie was at his place and there was something with the telephone, i liked that one too.

Also i like him counting the credits at the end of FTB, that was clever.
  5. suggsy

suggsy New Member

My favorite was when the mailman came to his castle with sacks of mail. Turns out Count was writing himself letters just to count them. He had this great line where Henson as the mailman says "Wow, you get a lot of letters. You must have a lot of friends" And Count goes "Friends? I have no friends." in the bets Bela Lugosi impression jerry nelson ever did.
  6. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

i used to be scared of him
  7. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Here are mine:

The Batty Bat
    Lambaba
    The Coconut Counting Man
    If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake

...and there was one that I can't remember where he appears out of nowhere and is counting the stuff at a vegetable market, and the townsfolk are singing about how he's mad and should be institutionalized...I really like that one, but I've only seen it once or twice.

I also liked his car in Follow That Bird

Quinnnnnn
  8. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hey Jackie, I saw that segment on today's Unpaved episode, though it was on Sunday, Aug 23 at 3:30 AM! One segment which hasn't been mentioned and is one of my faves is where the Count is an elevator operator. Kermit comes to work in his trenchcoat, only to discover who's manning the elevator. The funny part of this sketch is that the Count commandeers the elevator to count all the floors in the building, while Kerm's forced to hop up the stairs. Also, I like the Count's new counting organ. This is something I've been dreaming of: an organ with different-looking monster features with each breathing out a new number. If anybody could help me by describing what each pipe looks like, I'd be very grateful.

Thunder clashing and Lightning flashing, the Count.
  9. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

This may be a little off subject, but it's great that there are people who still actually watch Sesame Street Unpaved, since it's only on on the weekend now. I mean, I still watch it, even though they haven't added any new shows. And you know, the fact that all the do is show the same episodes, in a way, that can be good, and bad, at the same time. I mean, I do like the ones they already have, but I think if it were to stay on, they should add more to the cycle. Of course, if they had enough shows to repeat over and over, it would be different, but I don't think 65 is enough to repeat for 3.5 years. Same thing goes for 123 Sesame Street from Season 25. I don't think they should have added Season 30, I mean, what about the other half of Season 25, or even Seasons 21-24, which haven't been on Noggin. In a way, I think a CTW channel would be better than keeping them on Noggin, if that ever happens.

And by the way, to get back on the subject, I just performed that song for my piano recital yesterday!
  10. Jackie

Jackie New Member

LOL, i know that sketch well! The Count is so obsessive, it's perfect! :)
  11. Ernie101

Ernie101 Active Member

I personally like when he does the number of the day
  12. Sidebottom

Sidebottom Member

The Count was (I beleive) hiring Ernie to answer his telephone for him whenever it rang, but he warned him it would be difficult. Ernie couldn't see what could be so hard about answering the phone, but then the phone rang. Ernie tried to answer it, but the Count wouldn't let him because he wanted to count the rings. Finally, whoever it was hung up and the phone stopped ringing. The Count said something to the effect of "I told you it would be hard."

My personal favourite (although I only barely remember it) was when the Count was going to bed and wanted to count sheep, but all the sheep were on strike or something, and so the replacement sheep showed up. It turned out to be an anything Muppet (a blue guy with a beard, I think) wearing a sheep costume. And this same poor guy had to jump over the Count's bed again and again and again as the Count counted him.

"One fake sheep! Two fake sheep! He's getting tired. Three fake sheep! Four..."

Finally, I love that moment in _Muppet Family Christmas_ when Kermit is really worried about Miss Piggy, and he's looking out the window.

Doc: "That is one worried frog."
    Count: "Aha! That's one! One worried frog!"
    Robin: "He's not the only one."
    Count: "That's TWO! Two worried frogs! Ah ah ah ah ah!"

Classic.

-Sidebottom
  13. Lu775

Lu775 Member

I love the count, and you all have mentioned most of my favourite moments (and some I've never seen!)
    I'm not sure what sketch it's from (but from some episode back in the 70's) is a quote from the Count that my family still uses today.

"I'm the best counter since formica!"

hee hee
  14. Jackie

Jackie New Member

LOL! I love those suddle jokes!! They crack me up!
  15. juliette

juliette New Member

I have a Sesame Street Christmas album where the Count introduces us to that classic Transylvania holiday song, "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth." It's wonderful.
  16. My favorite resident of SS

Yep, I too love most of these (though a few I'd never heard of---eek!)

I kan't believe no one's mentioned one of myyyyyyyyyy favorites---the one where the Kount kan't sleep, and while he's in bed, instead of kountin' sheep, he kounts elephants, and bird, and I think somethin' else---that was sukh an awesome song/skit! :D

And Jakkie, it's spelled "subtle"---LOL!

Really!

It is!

:p

And Sidebottom, thanks for bringin' up that Kount/Ernie/Phone one---that is sooooooooooo so funny, I had forgotten about it, and I love it! :)
  17. Jaboom97

Jaboom97 New Member

Hi I am new here my name is Jeremy and I watched the classic real Sesame Street from late 70's and 80's and still desire the vintage stuff including that of what came before my time(<1979).

Anyhow I saw this thread about the Count(my all time fav character). Anyhow does anyone remember the time the count is trying to blast off a rocket inside his castle, and he has the mad scientist in his castle and of course he roughly wants to count the numbers to blast off and gets crazy and starts counting in Transylvanian. I also seem to remember that he was scary in these shorts--especially one that sticks out in my mind is when he was counting candles and he asks the audience--to come closer and they pan the camera in on him and he seems to be very domineering, to give an erie feeling--this of course could be wrong as even though he was my favorite character he also scared the living daylights out of me--this is what my parents never understood, and they still remind me of that to this day. I was so surprised to find others that remember these skits with the count. Especially slumber party w Bert and Ernie(remember that one when I was in Kindergarten--which was probably in rerun then as I am only 23 and was in kindergarten in 1984/85 year. Does anyone know the approx date of the two above sketches, or could anyone elaborate more into them???? Also when was the counts first appearance on the street as he does not seem to be an original character from 1969? I have read early 70's...if so how did they ever introduce him into the whole bit...I remember once seeing a picture in Jim Henson book The Works? from the 90's that showed a picture and it looked like an early version of the count. I also got digital cable recently as to gett Noggin and now I can't seem to find unpaved, can anyone give me the times that it is on so I can set the vcr to record if I am not awake or around at the times it is aired, if so will I be privy to any old Count sketches???? He is a character theat simply intrigues me, and his legacy will live on forever-with me at least.
  18. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I would assume both of those sketches you mentioned are from ABOUT 1974. I would assume he debuted in season 4 (if not season 3).

Well, Sesame Street Unpaved is only on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 3:30 am et/12:30 am pt. And since your new, I don't know if you read about this petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/s2w3e/petition.html

Please take a moment to sign it.
  19. manoftheSTREET

manoftheSTREET New Member

The Count's celeb sketches, of course...

The Susan Sarandon sketch was charming (not to mention it's probably the only educational kids show I can think of that snuck in a reference to RHPS).

So that's what Kathleen Turner did when she appeared on "Sesame Street"...I NEED that sketch on tape...got a post about that coming up.

Also, Victoria Jackson was in a sketch with the man of the numbers once...what happenned in that sketch?

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff
  20. mikealan

mikealan New Member

Hey Count, what Unpaved episode featured the skit where the Count appeared as an elevator operator and with Kermit in a trenchcoat?