Favorite Honker

Xerus

Reaction score
It seems like they had 7 Honkers on that show.

1. The purple Honker with an orange nose.
2. The orange Honker with a red nose.
3. The aqua Honker with a yellow nose.
4. The dark blue Honker with a green nose.
5. The dark pink Honker with an orange nose and red hair on top.
6. The green Honker with a yellow nose and blue shaggy hair.(Later named Alfonse.)
7. And then came the cute little pink baby Honker with a yellow nose.

I think I've always liked the Dark Blue Honker for he had some interesting stories. One was where four Honkers were honking, Mary Had a Little Lamb, but Dark Blue kept hitting the wrong note by accident.

Another episode was where Dark Blue caught a cold in his nose and couldn't honk at all. So Big Bird gave him a bell to ring. Later, Susan examined Dark Blue and made him blow his nose in a handkerchief giving him his honk back. Susan called her handkerchief a Honker.

And one time Dark Blue wanted something at Hooper's Store, but David couldn't speak Honk. He remembered Big Bird understands Honk since his relatives are geese. David rushes out to ask Big Bird to come in and help translate, but Big Bird was waiting for Snuffy at the bus stop and couldn't leave it. (This was during the time they thought Snuffy was imaginary.) So David had to keep going back in the store and back to Big Bird to repeat the Honk rythyms Dark Blue was saying. Big Bird said, the Honker wanted a ham and cheese on rye with a tomato to go. David gave Dark Blue his order and he left. But then a Dinger came in and David asked Big Bird to translate. Big Bird said he didn't understand Ding, but Snuffy does. David got frustrated.

Later, Big Bird was on the store phone talking to Snuffy for he couldn't make it to the bus stop today. The Dinger was dinging his head out while David tried to calm him down. Big Bird asked Snuffy what Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, meant. And it meant, "I want an orange." So David gave the Dinger and orange and he left. A relieved David thought Big Bird had finally gave in and translated for him, but Big Bird explained that only Snuffy knew the Dinger language and David looked at Big Bird funny.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I like the purple one. I don't remember the other ones, truthfully. Just purple.

But those were cute stories.

BEAR

Reaction score
There was also an elderly Honker with greyish fur. Also, wasn't the green shaggy haired Honker named Homer? Anyone remember how or why or when the Honker was given a name. He seems to be the only one who had one.

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
The dark pink Honker with an orange nose and red hair on top.

He always makes me feel tingly, he's a very cute Muppet you know? :stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
Was the Honker from Follow That Bird the one that they later called "Homer"? I am so happy they included the Honker in the main cast of that movie. "I've got a Honker in the back cuz my horn's broken..." Seriously, Sesame Street would not be the same without these little guys. What a unique and original creation.

Thijs

Reaction score
I've always found that whole 'Homer' thing a little bit questionable. has anybody ever seen the episode where he got his name?

Xerus

Reaction score
In a skit where monsters were demonstrating, Next to. That green Honker was named Alphonse. And the order went like this. Elmo, Telly, Rosita, Herry, Alphonse, Ingrid, Humphrey, and Zoe.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Thijs said:
I've always found that whole 'Homer' thing a little bit questionable. has anybody ever seen the episode where he got his name?
The only time I've seen this name used in in "The Works" book, but since Christopher Finch has a few other mistakes in the book (such as Kermit's debut as a frog in "The Frog Prince"), it's possible that someone mistook "Honker" as a misspelling of "Homer".

Thijs

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
The only time I've seen this name used in in "The Works" book, but since Christopher Finch has a few other mistakes in the book (such as Kermit's debut as a frog in "The Frog Prince"), it's possible that someone mistook "Honker" as a misspelling of "Homer".
That's it, I am from now on a non-believer!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
green!

My favorite is the green one.

By the way, the gren one is not the only one whose name has been mentioned. The small one was called henrietta in an episode from season 35, in which Seth Green played a delivery man.