1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Favorite Jerry Nelson Character

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Hubert, Aug 24, 2012.

?

Who is your favorite Jerry Nelson character?

1. Floyd

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Robin

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Crazy Harry

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Lew Zealand

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Camilla

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Pops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Count

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. The Amazing Mumford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mr. Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sherlock Hemlock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Gobo

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  12. Trash Heap

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  13. Pa Gorg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. His announcing voice

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  15. Other

3 vote(s)
    5.3%

1. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

That was an easy vote for me.... Floyd all the way! He's the coolest cat who can play one mean bass guitar! :sing:
  2. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Cliched though it is, I've always loved Floyd, for obvious reasons.

Although I think one of the greatest examples of his vocal versatility can be seen in "The Dark Crystal." You've got the Emperor, with his high pitched, gritty voice, and the High Priest, with his powerful, bellowing voice. In fact, The High Priest sounds nothing like any of his other characters. I couldn't believe it was him.
    Yorick likes this.
  3. catherine

catherine Active Member

I liked them all too, it showed a true supstar in all that he did.
    Yorick likes this.
  4. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

This is a really tough, tough question. I'd say it's a three way tie between Gobo, Robin, and Floyd. But that's hardly a good answer. His announcing voice is really awesome too. He's like the fourth main character of the Veterinarian's Hospital sketches or the reason you can walk into a room of nerds and start saying "PIGS IN SPACE" and people will chime in with you.

There are just so many characters he had a hand in making so memorable.
  5. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Floyd will always be my favorite. Although Robin and Lew Zealand are a VERY close second.
  6. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

So Many. He's always been my favorite performer. Little Jerry is the greatest rock star on Sesame Street. The Trash Heap was my favorite Fraggle Rock character. Poor Mr. Johnson must be a masochist to keep returning to Charlie's. I've always had a soft spot for Camilla, because Gonzo's my favorite Muppet Show character. Count von Count, who I believe has more ex-wives than anyone else on Sesame Street, probably belongs in a padded room somewhere, but he's delightful.

And at least one person does love Robot Lincoln!
  7. ProboSowa

ProboSowa Member

Can't go wrong with Count but he's not my sole fave of Jerry's. I also love Lew's wackiness, (the disruption of the wedding in his debut ep was priceless) Robin's sweetness, Floyd's chill demeanor, and the design of Uncle Deadly.
    MissMusical12 likes this.
  8. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I would say Gobo and Emmet Otter are my top Jerry Nelson characters. But I do like Robin and The Count and the Trash Heap, too. Floyd ranks up there with Gobo and Emmet. :sing:
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's a tough choice, but that's the amazing thing about Jerry's characters. There's usually one character each performer does that the audience and or the performer doesn't care too much for... but I don't think there's any Jerry character I don't like.

So I chose Trash Heap for two reasons... one, Julius Strangepork wasn't on the list, and the character is amazing in and of itself. A sentient pile of garbage brought to life by the love of Philo and Gunge that gives wise advise to the Fraggles, even if the advise isn't as wise as the thinks it is. She almost seems to be a grandmother figure to them.
  10. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I just know I miss the man...:(
    DrDientes likes this.
  11. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Me too! My mom (Jane) loved the Count and Snuffy when he said, "Hello, Bird!" She will really miss too. Also, I LOVE Floyd and the laugh he gave to that cool dude.

My list would be:
    1. Gobo Fraggle
    2. Robin the Frog
    3. Floyd
    4. Emmet Otter (however I better see the special by December I guess)
    5. Majory, the Trash Heap
    6. The Count (that's one one Count ah ah ah!)
  12. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Ever since I first saw him as a lad, Crazy Harry has stuck out in my mind like the deranged lunatic he is:crazy:. I also always thought he was the scariest and most menacing of the Muppets, and recall having a nightmare about him as a child. He defaced a national monument in the last movie; shouldn't that put him on the FBI's 10 most wanted list or something?
    Zoot the Saxer and AlittleMayhem like this.
  13. Zoot the Saxer

Zoot the Saxer Active Member

Floyd, fer sure. :sing: He's been my favorite since I was little, and influenced me to pick up the bass guitar.
  14. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

I liked strangepork, madame heap, robin, and floyf.
  15. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

Yeah! I liked the space frog - I mean Robin. Ahem! Robin has been my favorite for I don't know like for all of my life. He's cute too!
  16. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Jerry also performed Statler during the pilot episodes of TMS (1975), and took over the role from 1992-2003 after Richard Hunt passed away in 1992.
  17. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

Marjory is my favorite. I think it's funny that Drtooth mentioned her and Dr. Strangepork in the same post because they both have the same voice.
  18. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I should note Robin would've been my second choice and while I love them all Gobo has a special place for me because it was really Fraggle Rock that brought me into the world of Jim Henson as a child. I didn't get into Muppets till I was a little older. So thanks Jerry for teaching me how to dance my cares away. :smirk:
  19. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

I just finished watching The Great Muppet Caper, and even though Louis Kazagger (the Muppet sportscaster) had a considerable bit of dialogue during the big scene where the Muppets stop Nicky and the thieves from stealing Lady Holiday's Baseball Diamond, his name was omitted from the cast of Muppets voiced by Jerry Nelson.

And Peter Falk also had an uncredited cameo role as well....
  20. PanthraDion

PanthraDion Well-Known Member

I voted for Gobo as my favorite, but Robin and Floyd were very close seconds.