Favorite Movie on MST3K

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo, thank you for the huge description! That is certainly helpful. It sounds like a really cool show and something that I would enjoy.

But now I can tell you that I certainly have not seen this show. I'm from Canada and though we do have similar channels with alot of the same shows (ex. Comedy network, Space Channel), not all programs are the same, and I have never had the opportunity to see this show. I'll have to do as zns said and look on YouTube. Thank you for all of your help!

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Oh, man, my brother and I used to be addicted to that show.

Let's see, the movies themselves were universally awful, but I'd say my favorites were:

Riding With Death
Space Mutiny
The Mole People
The Thing that Wouldn't Die
Prince of Space
This Island Earth

Meepsterboy

Reaction score
I loved the 2 Godzilla's they did, "Godzilla vs. Megalon" and "Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster," "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" was great too, but I liked MST3K The Movie: "This Island Earth" the best.
"This Island Earth can be yours, if the price is right!" - Tom Servo
(Metalluna Mutant, creature with a brain for a head, is getting repeatedly pummeled on screen)
"There go my piano lessons! The third grade! I don't remember what my Dad looks like!" Crow, imitating the Mutant's voice.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Ah, MST3K! So many memories...

The Wild World of Batwoman - a strange film, complete with go-go dancers, a mad scientist with a bizarre accent, a "hunchbacked" assistant with goofy facial contortions (like Charlie Callas with the "mute" button on), and what looks like a Mexican wrestler in a Zorro outfit prowling around.

Jack Frost - horrendous Scandanavian "children's film" about a fair maiden who seeks her true love with the help of Jack Frost. Mike: "So the first plot point involves knitting socks. I think we're in for quite a ride, guys!" Mike: "This is the early version of Snow White, called 'Snow White and the One Normal Sized Person'." Mike: "All the names [in the credits] are Russian for Alan Smithee." Oh, and the hero of the film goes clomping around in a giant bear's head for a few reels.

Red Zone Cuba - don't even ask me to explain the plot of this needlessly convoluted Coleman Francis "thriller." Features an actor wearing an obviously fake beard hooked over his ears. I think he was supposed to be playing Castro or something. As a bonus, John Carradine (who has a small role) sings the theme song!

The Horror of Party Beach - filmed right here in Connecticut! I think I even recognize some of the locations! Nonsense about radioactive monsters with googly eyes (yes, there is a Cookie Monster reference) who prey on young beachgoers and have a thing for crashing slumber parties. Also features several musical numbers by a group of kids so clean-cut they make Pat Boone look like Marilyn Manson.

Time Chasers - a nerdy scientist (whose chin resembles a "dinner roll," according to Crow) travels back and forth in time. Clever host segments, in which Crow travels back to 1985 and attempts to stop fry-cook Mike from taking a job as a temp (which, as noted previously, is what got him into space). Somehow Mike's evil, beer-swilling "brother" Eddie (also Mike) gets on the SOL and watches a good portion of the movie, making snide comments at the flick and abusing the 'Bots. Later, Crow ponders, "who did they think this movie would appeal to anyway? Elderly squirrels?"

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank - shot-on-videotape sci-fi nonsense made for public television, starring Raul Julia in a futuristic society. At one point, Julia and his female co-star find themselves re-enacting a scene from Casablanca. Tom sighs, "well at least they didn't pick a good movie to steal from." Good host segments spoofing PBS pledge drives.

The Sidehackers - two rival gangs take their lives in their hands by playing a violent motor game called "sidehacking." Features a thug named "Gooch" in a goofy hat. Joel and the 'Bots sing "The Sidehacking Song."

Godzilla vs. Megalon - Godzilla battles a primitive Power Ranger. Includes the hilarious "Orville Popcorn" spoof, where Crow, as popcorn magnate Orville Redenbacher, verbally abuses his grandson, played by Tom.

Pod People - low-budget E.T. ripoff about furry creatures with long snouts that come to earth. A boy befriends one of the creatures, and names it "Trumpy." Trumpy's powers are...well, they're less than spectacular, to say the least. As Joel flatly says, "Trumpy, you could do stupid things!" Somehow a pop group figures into this mess, and they instantly become the butt of Joel, Tom and Crow. We see the group in the studio recording a song that sounds like they're saying "burning rubber tires." At the end of the take, the producer asks the lead singer how he thought it sounded. The singer smiles, makes the "okay" sign, then sneers "it stinks!" Of course, the very next host segment features Joel and the 'Bots parodying this song, making up their own words to the almost-indecipherable lyrics. When Dr. F asks Joel how it sounded, he smiles, makes the "okay" sign, then sneers "it stinks!" BTW, Crow comes up with the ultimate tagline for this movie: "ALF's back, and this time it's personal!"

Eegah! - a "monster movie" about a modern-day caveman who lusts after the daughter of a professor. Film stars Richard Kiel as the cavemen Eegah, who would later play Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker. Also with Arch Hall, Jr. as the "hero" who sings a couple of songs; the film was directed by his dad, who plays the professor. First time the MST3K catchphrase "watch out for snakes!" was used.

Operation 007 - one of the many Bond knockoffs made at the height of Bondmania in the 1960s, this one has the distinction of starring Connery...Neil Connery, Sean's brother. Joel and the 'Bots make a habit out of having the characters in the film ask for Neil's brother's autograph.

The Touch of Satan - early 70s schlock about a young man who falls in love with a witch. Kind of like Bewitched, except for the violence...and the fact that the guy doesn't know the girl is a witch until the end. This film has one of the most absurd, ridiculous lines ever uttered in a motion picture. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this film was picked just for this one line alone. As the boy and girl walk dreamily along the lake, the girl stops, points at the lake, and says "This is where the fish lives." Completely straight-faced. Even Mike, Crow and Tom are silent for a few moments, unable to fire off a quip. This is where the fish lives. Classic!

Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders - a jovial grandpa (Ernest Borgnine) tells his mush-mouthed little grandson a rather gruesome bedtime story about Merlin the magician and a cymbal-playing monkey toy that kills every time its cymbals clash. One of the funniest shots in the film has Merlin, decked out in full regalia, cap, flowing robes and all, walking down a modern-day street, desperately seeking the deadly monkey. Mike's reaction is priceless: "see, the problem is, he's stopping people at random and asking, 'have you seen my monkey'?"

The Girl in Gold Boots - a young woman (who dances like Elaine from Seinfeld, according to Mike) tries to make it as a go-go dancer. On her journey, she is accompanied by a sleazy Regis Philbin lookalike and a scruffy draft dodger named "Critter."

Manos the Hands of Fate - a fan favorite. A couple and their little girl get lost, and wind up at the abode of "the Master" and Torgo, a manservant who looks like he's smuggling watermelons in his trousers.

Mitchell - probably my all-time favorite episode. Joe Don Baker IS Mitchell, a cop who is pitted against drug dealers. The quips in this one come fast and furious. Most of the jokes are at the expense of Joe Don and his appetite. Classic scene in which a kid annoys Mitchell while on stakeout. Oh, and two words: baby oil. Eeeeeeewwwwww!!!!!!! Also with John Saxon, Linda Evans, Martin Balsam and Merlin Olson.

Final Justice - the second Joe Don Baker flick spoofed on the show. Almost as funny as Mitchell. More Joe Don Baker jokes. Miss Piggy reference. Even the end credits are mocked. Over the theme, Crow and Tom make up words pertaining to Joe Don and his supposed heavy appetite ("hey baby, you gonna finish that sandwich?") Eventually Mike tires of this and leaves the theatre, while the 'Bots are still going at it. Crow: "Listen to that guitar solo. I think it's by Eric Clap...yeah, Eric Clap."

Squirm - actually, this film isn't all that bad. In fact its maker, on the DVD commentary of the movie proper, said he intended this killer worm movie to be funny. Still, this is a standout episode, with a classic short, A Case of Spring Fever, at the top of the show. In this short, made in the 1950s, a lout of a husband thinks the world would be a better place without springs. He is visited by a creepy sprite named "Coilie," who teaches him the error of his ways.

There are so many more classic episodes: Kitten With a Whip (starring Ann-Margret), Werewolf, Hobgoblins, Daddy-O, Teenagers From Outer Space, Teenage Caveman (with Robert Vaughn), Swamp Diamonds, Monster a Go-Go, Bride of the Monster, I Accuse My Parents, The Brain That Wouldn't Die and I Was a Teenage Werewolf (another not bad film) among many, many others. The few I mentioned are standouts, IMHO.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... You'll fit in nicely here WinslowLeech.

Where to begin...
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, a good one cause of Raul Julia in the cast. Funny bit when the monster Ortega shows up for Brain Guy's sleepover.
Ega... That one stands out cause of the host segment where Joel's making eggs for the bots and they ponder on the TV families of the classic age of sitcoms, arriving at the conclusion that The Munsters were the only true stable standard American family.
Godzilla vs. Megalon... Two things to remember..
1 The wrestling commentator segment durng the fight scenes in the forest.
2 Jed Jaguwar, the goofy song at the end of the movie.
Joel: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Crow: No Mr. Jaguwar, I expect you to die!"
Tom: Nice... Nice Bond reference guys."

On the subject of rock bands... Remember the song Pitsticker or Fishlicker from Hobgoblins? That was a great movie in my book.
Crash of the Gypsy Moons, anotherclassic outer space doomed planets movie, starring John Banner.
There's a hilarious running gag with the space station in the movie refered to as a roulette wheel, Hooneymooner references, and a great line.
Kid to Royal Baby Prince: "I wish you could talk."
Bots, in reply: "Yeah... And I wish you could act."

I Accuse My Parents, that's one spawned a TV/movie-ism I always use...
Lead Character: "And that's why your Honor... I accuse my parents."
Tom: "Yes! We have a title!"

Girlstown, starring Paul Anka and revolved around a mean girl summer camp.
Classic comedy gag where Dr. Forester gets pied via the geosynchronous umbilical pod cable linking Deep 13 with the SOL through Gypsy herself.

The Painted Hills, one of Joel's last films... Loved that one because the bots took up one of my causes, inditing and putting that mutt Lassie behind bar and throwing away the key.

Mitchell... Man, what can I say...
Tom: Any movie with waka-cha-waka is all right by me.

Lots more, rully loved that show seeing as how it left its mark on me.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the welcome, Count!

Yeah, Hobgoblins was a good one...Fish Picker? Pig Liquor? Iced Chicken? I think the actual name of the song was "Kiss Kicker," or something like that. When the characters first go into the club, I like how Tom goes, "now this scene really makes me want to go clubbing...the director of this film!"

Tom had some pretty funny riffs in this ep:

"Camaro: the official car of 'peaked in high school.'"

"Meet the Hobgoblins: Frankie, Sniffles, Bounce-Bounce and The Claw!"

Then there was Crow's "can we have a rule that in the future, films have to be made by filmMAKERS?"

Funny thing about "I Accuse My Parents"...whenever I'm watching a movie, a character mentions the title, I always think "Yes! We have a title!" from this ep. I think the kid in the film is referred to as a "young Al Bundy," or something, because he sells shoes early in the film.

Yeah, I can't believe these guys lampooned a Lassie movie!

And Mitchell...like I said, probably my favorite of all time!

"This is the slowest car chase in history."

"BUZZ OFF, KID!!"

"Mitchell/veins clogging..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, the hero of our film!"

"My, my, my, my Mitchell..."

"Johnny Mathis?"

Eegah!

Tom (as Arch Hall, Jr. begins to sing): "No, Arch, no!"

Joel (as Roxy frolicks in the pool): "I'm so naughty..."

Joel and the 'Bots' applause when Eegah knocks Arch out.

The slow song that bears a slight resemblance to "Tequila," and Joel and the 'Bots unenthusiastically responding "Tequila."

Crow and Tom trying to turn Joel into Arch Hall, Jr.

Teenage Werewolf: moody Michael Landon picks up a milk bottle and grips it in his hands...

Tom: Here's the windup...

(Landon smashes the bottle against the wall)

Tom: ...and the pitch!

(Crow makes crowd noises)

The movie simply titled Werewolf:

The lead actress constantly calls the creature a "were-wolf."

A character falls down a flight of stairs:

Mike: "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"

And of course, the Werewolf song.

Brilliant, brilliant show!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... Werewolf...
Tom: "I don't know, you saw him last."
Crow: "Hey, I'm telling Mike you said that."
Mike then reenters the theater with a bowl of popcorn, is told what Servo said and OKays the joke.

Hobgoblins... The best part is when the car inches its way out of the frame and the bots are cheering it on, encouraging it to get out of the film. Unfortunately, it then careens off the side of the cliff bursting in flames...
Crow: In tonight's news, a car threw itself off a cliff." *Scene goes back to the two main actors. "Unfortunately, neither of these actors was in the car at the time of the crash."
Mike: "Shoot!"

Another good one on that same level was The Warrior Within with the star of the movie... Megaweapon!
When they got Megaweapon to phone in at the end segment, he was real nice with the bots. Seems like Killdozer was a bit of a rude jerk though. There was a Muppet reference there too, Megaweapon sent hi's out to the kids, including PrairieDawn.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Ha, "I don't know, you saw him last." I forgot about that one! I love Servo's whiny tattle-voice when Mike comes in with the popcorn and tells on Crow.

In "Pod People," there's a song on the soundtrack that vaguely sounds like Ringo Starr (but it's not, obviously); Servo cracks, "you know, Ringo's done some bad stuff in his time, but this..."

I wonder how many times the title "Manos, the Hands of Fate" is spoken by Joel and the Bots in that ep...

Crow: So this is called "Manos..."
Joel: Yes.
Crow: "...the Hands of Fate"?

Tom (tearfully): "I don't wanna watch 'Manos, the Hands of Fate' anymore!"

And they randomly go "Manos!" at various other times.

This was the show where Dr. F and Frank actually apologize to Joel and the Bots for showing such a bad film.

Manos means hands, so the actual title is "Hands, the Hands of Fate?"

I missed "The Warrior Within." Sounds like a good one, though!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... Great segments in that one, Joel dressing up as the Master, and Frank ordering pizza from Torgo's instead of Tago's.
Reminds me of Castle of Fu Man Chu where Joel and the bots were cross with the bosses.

The Warrior Within, it starred that guy they only identified as the guy from Paper Chase.

Manos: TheHands of Fate, it suffers from the same criticism the guys pointed out when they were watching Attack of The The Eye Creatures.

And remember the Gamera movies? Don't know which one, but there was a hilarious intro where they spottd Mike Yuasa as the director and launched into....
Crow: "Tonight on the Yusa Network, a very special episode of Swamp Thing."
Tom: "Don't bring your evil into my swamp!"

Other funny moments I remember...
Tom having his head blow up.
The Dark Crow Specter fightingg and dismantling Servo.
Tom changng his last name to be spelled Sirveaux, still pronounced Sero... And his first name got an H added to it.
Mike: Let me guess, Thom?
Tom: No, it's Htom.
Crow: Well Htom... Hlick me.

One of the Hercules movies where they skewered Joel with the spike walls and he started drinking a bottle of waer...
Deep Hurting!
Sand Storm!
Servo's multiple clones ganging up on Crow after Joel took the original one away, and the Servo Singing Choir.