Favorite Movie on MST3K

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
The Count said:
Some of the funnier stuff happened when the gang was still carrying on during the credits.
Point in case, during Hobgoblins, Servo goes offscreen and builds a cardboard cutout of the movie's director so they can keep riffing on him. Then, when they come out of the theater, Servo mentions he went back in ime to kick the director in the shins... And Crow comes in reading an article from that time period stating that the director got the inspiration for the movie when he was kicked in the shins by a little red fireplug looking creature.
You wanna know a funny thing about Hobgoblins? Apparently the director gave the film to the MST3K crew to skewer!!!!! Talk about a good sport, eh?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's funny... Especially since this movie was sent to the gang as punishment for jumping on and spilling grape juice on Pearl's new couch.
Security Guard n phonebooth: Uh sir, there's been a little accident at the studi.
Crow: We made Hobgoblins.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Funny factoid about Manos: (maybe you all know this, maybe this isn't true. this is just what my uncle told me) one of the main characters - I believe he was supposed to be a vampire? - well, the actor died in the middle of making the movie. So what did they do? Found a new actor of course! Except instead of reshooting the entire movie, they simply had the guy hold his arm/cape in front of his face the whole time.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Samfo?!? Somebody say samfo?!? Oh, how I loved that one.

Tom: Lemon caimon he went away.
Crow: The TriStar pPictures logo is ready!

*In Rocky & Bullwinkle fashion...
Joel and Crow: Now there's something you don't see everyday Edgar.
What' that Chauncey?
A flaming moose headed down the highway.
Tom: Would someone please put me out? I seem to be on fire!

bunsenhoneydew

Reaction score
posthumous performance

Beakerfan said:
Funny factoid about Manos: (maybe you all know this, maybe this isn't true. this is just what my uncle told me) one of the main characters - I believe he was supposed to be a vampire? - well, the actor died in the middle of making the movie. So what did they do? Found a new actor of course! Except instead of reshooting the entire movie, they simply had the guy hold his arm/cape in front of his face the whole time.
I'm not sure, but I think your uncle may have been referring to Bela Lugosi...here's the wiki on it...One of Lugosi's most infamous roles was in a movie released after he was dead. Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space features footage of Lugosi interspersed with a double. Wood had taken a few minutes of silent footage of Lugosi, in his Dracula cape, for a planned vampire picture but was unable to find financing for the project

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
bunsenhoneydew said:
I'm not sure, but I think your uncle may have been referring to Bela Lugosi...here's the wiki on it...One of Lugosi's most infamous roles was in a movie released after he was dead. Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space features footage of Lugosi interspersed with a double. Wood had taken a few minutes of silent footage of Lugosi, in his Dracula cape, for a planned vampire picture but was unable to find financing for the project
Yeah, I think you're right bunsenhoneydew. Wood shot footage of Lugosi walking around his home and in a cemetery in Dracula attire. After Lugosi died, Wood hired Kathy Wood's (his wife) chiropractor to stand in for Bela, since he apparently had sinister-looking eyes. And he was approximately the right height. So the chiro walked around Wood's set with a cape masking all but his eyes, playing Bela's character!

This is all recounted in Tim Burton's great Ed Wood with Johnny Depp.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's one of the few Tim Burton/Johnny Depp films I haven't seen yet that I'm actually interested in seeing. There's one that I will never watch cause I hate the story it's based on, but that's a personal feeling.

Back to topic though...
*Hamlet.
The intro with Mike playing three-card monty to trick Pearl into sending him a movie he wanted to see for a change... Only to have it backfire and Mike end up looking stupid in front of the bots.
Mike: Dude, me and Horatio went down to Copenhagen and snorted some aquafina.
Ghost of Hamlet's father: Murder most foul.
Crow: He murdered a chicken?
Tom, as Queen Gertrude: Face it son, I'm going to rock your uncle's world.
Mike, as Hamlet: You're not my dad!!

Hamlet: To be, or not to be.
Mike: The verbal equivalent of da-da-da-duh... (Beethoven's 5th).
Hamlet: That is the question.
Mike: I'll take "To be" for 50 Alex.
Hamlet: Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Tom: Starring Shelley Long and Bette Middler.
Hamlet, in an over-dramatic voice: To dream!
Crow, imitating the same tone: The impossible dream!
Mike: Can we get a verb thrown in there somewhere?
Mike, at the end: So you're a chicken for not killing yourself! There, that's all you had to say!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Double HIKEEBA!

*Does the NBC Nightly Movie of the Week music, before slight electroshock. for saying NBC Nightly Movie of the Week.

Happy hour is over Taco Beelzebub.