1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Favorite Non Henson Puppets & Puppeteers

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by ploobis, Apr 24, 2010.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I remember taking glances as Allegra, but I don't believe I've ever actually sat down an watched a full episode of the show.

Didn't she have a friend/sidekick who was like some kind a yellowish girl dog thing?
  2. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Mystery Science Theater 3000
    Greg the Bunny
    Shari Lewis
    Between the Lions
    ALF (I suppose so...)
    Avenue Q
  3. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Yes, She did! :)

The yellow dog character was performed by the same puppeteer who does Grungetta on Sesame Street.
  4. D'Snowth

Yeah, like I said a while back, practically every non-Henson puppet show out there has SOME sort of Henson connection, whether it's the performers, or people behind-the-scenes.

It's almost kinda like television puppetry is a very insular brotherhood of sorts, lol.
  5. Puppetainer

Puppetainer Member

I agree with so many of the people and puppets that have been listed already, so I will just add one that I haven't seen here yet.

I'm a big fan of Jigsaw Fanclub by Ben Jones. Good stuff! If you haven't seen it I offer up this link. Click and enjoy.

http://jigsawfanclub.com/
  6. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Has anyone mentioned New Zoo Review, or am I just too old?
  7. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I will probably wind up repeating most of the ones already mentioned, but some of my favorite non-Henson puppets include:

Kukla, Fran and Ollie
    Captain Kangaroo
    Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood (Land of Make Believe RULES! By far, this is probably one of my top favorites- mainly because I also just loved Mister Rogers so much- such a great Christian man. He's one of my Christian heroes actually. There's an incredible book about him called "The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers"- I highly recommend it.)
    Howdy Doody
    The Puzzle Place
    Between the Lions
    Lamb Chop's Play-Along
    Sid & Marty Krofft
    Eureeka's Castle
    ALF (I LOVE ALF!)
    The House at Pooh Corner (this is the early '80s puppet version of Winnie the Pooh- long before The Book of Pooh came along. Loved watching this show as a kid.)
    Dumbo's Circus
    The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (ah yes- 1987 classic. LOL- it's not as terribly bad as some make it out to be- it's not that great either, but it was fun to finally watch. I didn't see this one as a kid- used to watch the cartoon though.)
    Howard the Duck (another infamously bad classic from 1986. It is a Marvel-comics based movie, so I'd still like to see the whole thing some day. But I really think Howard looks pretty good in the movie.)
    Circle Square (a great Christian children's show I watched as a child- I loved this show! I was so thrilled when I found TBN showing episodes a while back! They've got some episodes available on their website too.)
    Kids' Jamboree (another great local Christian children's show that's really hard to find any info on- I used to love watching this too.)
  8. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Member

The Bil Baird Marionettes in Sound of Music entranced me every time.

I also feel like maybe I'm the only person that couldn't stand Puzzle Place.
  9. Jivepuppet

Jivepuppet Member

Anything Bil Baird is AMAZING!
    And Puzzle Place? I'm with you there staceyrebecca, you're not alone!
  10. Jivepuppet

Jivepuppet Member

And I remember this one too!

The qustion really is "Too Old For What?" Never too old!
  11. D'Snowth

The Great Space Coaster is really growing on me.
  12. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I just saw on MTV a commercial for a new series starring Warren The Ape from Greg The Bunny! It's called The Warren The Ape Show and it premiers on June 14'th!

Looks like something worth checking out. Besides I always thought that Warren was funnier then Greg.
  13. GSmiley2007

GSmiley2007 Member

1.) The show's called "Welcome to Pooh Corner", not "House at Pooh Corner". And yes, I enjoyed that show a lot (and Dumbo's Circus as well).

2.) Spoeaking of Christian children's puppet shows, I'm really getting into Quigley's Village-- Bubba the Ape and Spike the Porcupine are two of my favorite characters from the show. :)
    I haven't seen Circle Square or Kids' Jamboree yet, but I'll take a glimpse at them.
  14. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Of course it is. Because Jim Henson and Jane Nebal led the way in demonstrating how best to make puppetry work on television. Before them although there had been puppetry on telly, they set a certain standard (for example they were the first to use moniters). And then because no one else worked in their way they had to show others how to do it, and then performers have gone on to other things and taken that knowledge with them (for example Louise Gold went on to become a founder puppeteer on Spitting Image).

Three shows I have to mention here, and yes all have connections with Hensons.

First of all Spitting Image - the scripts are very funny, and watch the early episodes it must've been quite an achievement to make that show work. A

Recently I've come across and very much enjoyed 'The Spooks Of Bottle Bay.

Finally,have to mention 'Transmission Impossible With Ed and Oucho' - those termites were scene stealers!
  15. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Glad someone finally mentioned Spitting Image! DC Follies (in the USA - highly inspired by the UK's Spitting Image) was terrific but SI puts it to shame!

All time fave DC Follies moment - Michael Jackson and Richard Nixon both having cosmetic surgery operations at the same time and ending up with each other's noses.

I don't want to do a lot of repeating of a lot of the great stuff already mentioned, but i have to name three of my all time favorites i don't believe have been mentioned...

Waylon Flowers and Madame
    The Hot Fudge Show

Forever fans of both!

...also The Letter People - though watching the shows as an adult doesn't hold up as well as the above two, they were a very cherished part of my childhood.
  16. D'Snowth

It's a shame that D.C. Follies never really took off... in my opinion, for a late-period Krofft show, I think it was one of Sid and Marty's better ventures than the likes of those variety shows they began cranking out in the late 70s and early 80s.
  17. kdking

kdking Member

There was a Canadian show back in the '80's called The Adventures of Snelgrove Snail. :)
  18. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

GREAT SPACE COASTER!
    PINWHEEL!
    PEE WEES PLAYHOUSE!
    MONGRELS!
    SPITTING IMAGE!

cc
  19. Edradour

Edradour Member

Wonder Showzen is a guilty pleasure of mine too...

My wife's favorite childhood show was "Mr. Dressup", with his puppet companions Casey & dog Finnegan.

[​IMG]
  20. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

Triumph the insult comic dog from Late Night with Conan O'Brien. :insatiable: