Favorite NON-Henson puppets???

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i like Mr. Dressup puppets (canadian show). REALLY simple, don't even need movable mouths!!! Under The Umbrella Tree and Today's Special also rule. Today's Special was another show that scared me as a kid (along with Spaceship Surprise from ss). Under The Umbrella Tree was awesome too, hilarious kids show. Iggy the Iguana was actually played by Jim Henson too! both Today's Special and UTUT's puppets were made by Noreen Young. great puppet maker.

crazy ernie

Reaction score
I finally got the reference to under the umbrella tree that was on muppets tonight!

Salmoto

Reaction score
What was this reference Ernie?

I always liked ALF, but the ALF from the original sitcom, not this dull pseudo-ALF they're shopping around the advertisment circuit.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Actually, Jim Henson was NOT Iggy Iguana. Some people who worked on the Muppets worked on Under the Umbrella Tree, but the "Iggy = Jim Henson" thing is incorrect. Maybe he SOUNDS like Kermit, but it's not Jim.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Guy, I never liked Iggy... he annoyed me for some reason. I was all for Jacob the Blue Jay! But man... I hated Gloria! Sometimes I wished she would just DIE!

And out of all the Today Special crew, I always liked Penelope... Sam's cat. (Sure she wasn't a puppet, but she was a cool cat!) Although Muffy did have her moments. (And what kind of a suggestive name is Muffy anyway?)

And once again (sniffles) I miss Casey and Finnigan.

^_^ Debo

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I always liked ALF, but the ALF from the original sitcom, not this dull pseudo-ALF they're shopping around the advertisment circuit.
I'm going with ALF too. He's one of my favorites, but I also like seeing him in those 10-10-220 commercials. Since his show is off the air and it isn't on in reruns. Seeing ALF anywhere is good.

crazy ernie

Reaction score
The refrence was that Phil Van Nueuter said that he and Mulch were going to be appearing on a show called "Under The Yumyum Tree"

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Iggy was not played by Jim Henson...

He wouldnt work on someone elses Puppet show, Because he by that time had a whole company...

see ya

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
I liked Today's Special too. Jeff Hyslop (one of the show's humans) went on to play the Phantom of the Opera in Toronto. Wish I had seen that, although he's a better dancer than he is a singer.

As far as non-Henson puppets...love the Letter People. I know Byron does too (I'm still workin' on it). In fact, one of the Letter People performers (Allan Trautman) has gone on to work for both Henson and Disney...in fact, MuppetFest attendees saw him performing the Newsman with Brian Henson.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, my absolute favorites are ALF, Cecil the Sea sick sea serpent, and the Bullwinkle puppet used to introduce episodes of the Bullwinkle show back in the 1960's on NBC.

But a special mention goes to Between the Lions. It may not be Henson, but it's as good as their puppetry...mainly because a lot of Henson people work on it. I especially love the designs of Arty Smartypants (aka, the great Smartini), he is just so surrealistic, and Busterfeild who, though rigidly constucted out of a hard material (I don't know exactly) has great control and great expressions.