Favorite Real-life Films

Mister Fred

Reaction score
I liked the skits with the colored numbers that would fly at your face, but I never liked the end parts with the chef that always fell down the stairs. I would feel sorry for him because he might've gotten hurt

That was the counting segment with the baker, who was Jim Henson, falling down the steps with the deserts, pies or cakes. I didnot like that at first but now I think it's really funny. I also forgot two others I really liked. The first one is making apple cider. A bunch of kids pick apples in a orchard, load them in crates on a old chevy pickup truck and unload them in a building then the apples are dumped in a hopper, taken up a conveyer belt and ground up into mush in plastic bags on a apple press, then a man loosens something from above, pulls a lever, two heavy layers drop down, and a man with a white apron presses on the top and out comes the apple cider. they picked 10 boxes and got 34 gallons of apple cider! The other real life film is the song about pockets. This had different scenes with people doing something with his or her pockets. A woman with a high screetchy voice sings the song. I know it starts"What do we do without pockets.....pockets are perfectly fine." There is a woman with a tan jacket opening a pocket that has a snap and flap, a boy combing his hair then putting the comb in the back pocket of his jeans, another woman with a tan jacket opening a pocket that has a zipper, a man pulling a hankerchief out of his shirt pocket, a magician pulling a long colorful cloth out of his little suit coat pocket, a man wearing overalls and all the pockets full of tools gets on a step ladder to fix something and breaks a borad on the ladder,and a woman with a white sweater putting her hands in the pockets on the sweater. That's all I remember and whenever it was on, my mom would sing along. I think one time she was watching this with me, and was wearing blue pants with pockets and put her hands in the pockets when she was singing along. I used to have a few pairs of overalls when I was a kid and when my mom dressed me in them she sing "What do we do without pockets".

Censored

Reaction score
Some of my real life favorites:

"Same Voice"

"Me and my Llama"

"Hard Workin' Dog"

"Garbage"

"The Sad Flower"

"Somebody Come and Play"

"The letter "O" being hoisted up on the building"

Some favorite Semi Real Life skits:

"The Number Skits with the Baker"

"David and Maria missing one another over and under the bridge"

I know there are more that I like, but that's all I can think of for now.

Censored

Reaction score
Oh, I also like "A Lot Of Little Nuts" about the making of peanut butter.

However, there is another more obscure version of the skit that I've only seen on a couple of occasions. It starts with pot boiling over in a kitchen and then shows a bunch of children dressed as bakers chasing one little girl who is dressed in brown to symbolize a peanut. Every time I saw this one, it was shown right after the factory version as a kind of encore presentation. Then it just seemed to disappear. I really thought it enhanced the whole song and I wish I could see it again. Anyone else remember this?

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
the one that sticks in my head is the one about rhythm..where there is kids in a horse buggy and steel calypso drums...im forever drumming the tune away in my head, da da da da da da da...

Mister Fred

Reaction score
The US Mail

I forgot the film about the US Mail. A black girl in the city writes a letter to her grandpa about coming to visit him for the summer. I remember the letter had "It is very hot and dry in the city, I would like where is cool in the country." I'm not sure if those were the exact words. I know the grandpa's first name was Frank. The girl drops the letter in a mail box and shows how the letter travels from the post office to the mail carrier to her grandpa. It also shows how the mail is sorted. I really liked that. Where her grandpa lived looked like the good south, perhaps the Carolina's, with nice downhome people. No better place to be.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
what about that other mail film where it's just like the other but a man and some kids were singing a song about how they deliver the mail witch it sounded very jazz sounding. also rememebr theese 2 early films about the lifestyles of 2 families. 1 was about a family who lived on a pleblo in New Mexico and about a black family where the youngest 1 is narrating and telling what goes on every day in their household. the same was with the other 1.

dalexandre

Reaction score
Wow! I had compleatly forgotten about the crayon factory one, but it was definetly good. I had also forgotten about the up/down controller.

I also remember one where a girl takes cans of soda to a recycling factory, and where this girl and her younger brother loose thier dog, so they go to a printing press and make flyers.

I Think there was also one about taking care of your dog, and one where a black kid stays over at another kids house and they say something about spinache (sp).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
speaking of the mail, rememeber this 1 with the mailman who delivered mail in the mountain area of Eastern Kentucky? i like that 1 also rememeber this film where you kids playing where as a kids is different hammering on 1 of those pounding tables or whatever you call them and then you see a carpenter a kid painter and a professional painter. the last part shows a kid watching SS, and the people in the TV control room at probably the WNET studios. i wonder what SS skit that was supposed to be? you just saw cookie and some other muppet.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Real-life skits on SS

Here are some of my favorite real-life skits:

1)crayon factory
2)which came first,the chicken or the egg?
3)hard-working dog
4)Dustin Hoffman in clown makeup
5)long-hard climb
6)there's a bird on me
7)the skit about the dairy farm,milking cows:milk,milk,milk
8)lot of little nuts,to make a jar of peanut butter
9)the recycle sketches
10)sketches with Joe Raposo songs in them

Also,the baker sketches,two-little dolls,somebody come and play,luis pushing the wall.

My favorite real-life animation skits are:behind your face,loaf of bread....,Willie Wimple,J jamboree,king minus,Land of 8,Daddy Dear,Land of 6

My fav. puppet real-life sketches:News Flash,There's a hole in the bucket,Get This Train Through(cookie)

Mokeystar

Reaction score
These are all from the early early early days of Sesame. (Am I showing my age here?) :smile:

The clip with the kids on the beach pretending like they're bulldozers and steamshovels. This intermittently cuts back to a real life tape of a steamshovel thoughout the clip. I always loved the music that went with this one.

The clip with the song about parts of the body which showed kids playing around on a jungle gym. At the end, they all run down the Brooklyn Bridge..."These feet are running away, I guess I've sang enough today."

The one with that's done in Spanish about a runaway bicycle tire. The music was very, very cool and reminded me of the steamshovel clip.

The one with the two boys and the dragon kite on the beach.

The "Raposo" clip that showed kids sledding through a tunnel of snow. I always wanted to live in a climate with lots of snow like that so I could make my own snow tunnel. :smile: To this day, every time we get our annual centimeter of snow that lasts for a day, that tune goes through my head.

Okay......let me summarize. Basically, anything that had a soundtrack by Joe Raposo falls into the category. That was easy. :smile: