1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Favorite version of The Rainbow Connection

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Vincent Liu, Aug 10, 2012.

?

What's your favorite version of The Rainbow Connection?

1. The Original by Kermit the Frog

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. The version in The Muppets

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Kermit with Debbie Harry

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. The Carpenters

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Justin Timberlake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Willie Nelson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kenny Loggins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sarah McLachlan

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  9. Darren Criss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Judy Collins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Me First And The Gimme Gimmes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Less Than Jake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Peter Cincotti

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Weezer and Hayley Williams

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  15. Other…

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, there are many covers of The Rainbow Connection, including Judy Collins, The Carpenters, Sarah McLachlan, DAT Politics, Aaron Lewis, Kenny Loggins, The Dixie Chicks, Justin Timberlake, Kris Aquino, Kiki and Herb, Jason Mraz, The Pussycat Dolls, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Tay Zonday, Jim Brickman, Caroline's Spine, Estradasphere, Leftöver Crack (with dramatically different lyrics), The Dresden Dolls, Willie Nelson, Peter Cincotti, Jane Monheit, Fifteen, Lea Salonga, Andy Bernard (played by Ed Helms) in The Office, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, The Loves, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and Trespassers William.

Which version is your favorite? Personally, I like the original most, but I also like the Carpenters version a lot. I mean, who can dislike Karen's voice?
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I picked Kermit, lol, but yeah The Carpenters' cover is really lovely too. :)
    Hayley B likes this.
  3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I have to go with the original version from The Muppet Movie, though I adore the ending version with The Magic Store. I really like the lyric change in that version.

why are there so many songs about rainbows?
    that's part of what rainbows do.
    rainbows are memories, sweet dream reminders,
    what is it you'd like to do?
    all of us watching, and wishing we'd find it
    I've noticed you're watching too
    someday you'll find it, the rainbow connection
    the lovers, the dreamers, and you

To me, this verse is saying that no matter how silly or outlandish your dreams may seem, it's okay to believe in it, to keep looking for that "rainbow connection". I love that message. :)
  4. Auberoun

Auberoun Member

I chose the original. However, I do admit the one in the Muppets had me teary eyed because it was as if Jim was watching, and saying "Wow, it's like I never left, good job guys!" It was that special feeling that I got during the 80s films...something quite rare post Jim Henson era. It's like something just clicked for that scene.
    dwmckim likes this.
  5. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Definitely the original Kermit version.

Although I really really loved the Weezer cover on the Green Album too!
  6. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I liked when the Muppets all sing it together and when The Carpenters sang it. :)
  7. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

My favorite are both Kermit's version from The Muppet Movie and the version from The Muppets :)
    Greengables95 and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  8. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

My favorites are the original, the one from The Muppets, The Carpenters cover, Sarah McLachlan's cover, and the one from The Green Album.
  9. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Sorry but no one can touch the original version the way it was meant to be heard and that's Jim Henson's version. I always cry no matter how many times Ive listened to it. With all due respect to Steve because I love his version too. I cried when he sang it in the movie as well. But nothing will top Jim's version. Call me a snob but I ONLY wanna hear Rainbow Connection sung by Kermit. When Kermit sings it it literally moves me to tears NONE of the other versions have done that for me. And that's my opinion on the matter. Not that it's important or anything. Lol.
  10. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I say Weezer. Although, I haven't heard many versions of the song to begin with
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I just have to say that I rully, rully fail to understand how people can vote anything other than the original one...or I can maybe give you the stretch of the new Muppet version. But just how the other non-Muppet versions put up any votes is beyond me...I mean, the Rainbow Connection is the most intimate song, and Jim Henson displayed that magic so well...it's like a perfect Muppet moment.
    Pinkflower7783 and charlietheowl like this.
  12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't choose. They all are great in their own ways. I like the big finish from the new movie's version. I also love portion of the "Jim Henson's Musical World" performance when the choir does background "ahhs" during the last verse.
  13. muppetfan24/7

muppetfan24/7 Well-Known Member

You know what? I agree, because I am glad I got the original one by Kermit from Muppet Musicque a year or two ago before it went down.

To be honest, I love that song! Jim was extremely the one who believed that rainbows could have connections. I mean my gosh! Sooner or later, I am burning the Muppet Movie album to a Cd. So, for both of us, the top of the list is the original one performed by Kermit from Mr. Jim Henson. Gosh, I really still miss him so much.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  14. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe he would've been 76 next month had he lived. :(
  15. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I love the one in The Muppets version, as well as the one from The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years. :):mad::fanatic:
  16. Animal'sBunny

Animal'sBunny Active Member

I love the original in The Muppet Movie and the one in The Muppets. :)
    Greengables95 likes this.
  17. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

You can't beat the original, and it was such an iconic scene in the 1st Muppet Movie.
    Hubert likes this.
  18. Greengables95

Greengables95 Member

Pretty much what Yuna Leonhart said.
  19. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

My favorite versions of the song are the original one from The Muppet Movie, also the one with all the Muppets on A Celebration of 30 Years at the end of the special.I do like The Carpenters version a lot, too. I made a Jim Henson tribute with that version of the song, but I have yet to upload it someday.
  20. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I should mention that there is a verson with Paul Williams singing the song as a duet with Willie Nelson on his album, I'm Going to go Back There Someday. I encourage everyone to check it out on iTunes!