The Jungle Book
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Chicken Run
Lilo & Stitch
Waking Life

Craig

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Hehehehehe....Just saw Ice Age.....Add THAT to my list of favorite movies!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I don't enjoy anime so I never caught Spirited Away, but I'll bite the bullet when it comes out on DVD. Spirit looked uninteresting and the public seemed to agree.
No, more like Disney purposely under promoted Spirited Away to such a degree...Im surprised John Lassetter hasnt publicly expressed outraged at Disney. Yet another major blunder the Diz made this year. If I was Lassetter I'd be p'd as heck. If Disney put even half the marketing into Spirited Away(which it justly deserved) as that money pit Treasure Island Im sure it would have done way better. Sorry, but it is so annoying to hear people dismiss what is such an epic film because of their opinions on 'anime'. Which has been clouded by s*** like Pokemon and all the other related shows. Its as uninformed as people who pass off the Muppets as 'kiddy' stuff because of Sesame.

But just watch...if Spirited Away takes home the Oscar(which it should) then youll see everybody going 'Oh yeah! I now gotta see that'. But yeah Disney can suck it.

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Im surprised John Lassetter hasnt publicly expressed outraged at Disney.
there's a reason for that...it's called "not biting the hand that feeds you". Pixar is still under contract with Disney until they hit 5 theatricly released films. Disney's already jerking them around by not wanting to count Toy Story 2 "because it's a sequel". so it wouldn't exactly behoove Lassater to go spouting off yet. AFTER things have settled, then sure, go for it...but at least we got a good translation out of it, even if it's not been widely seen yet.

for the record, Spirited Away SHOULD win the Oscar, and if not then Lilo and Stitch should. however, because the Academy are a bunch of old fogey idiots, Spirit will end up taking it. sad but true.

Gonzo

Reaction score
It really MUST have been underpromoted, because I consider myself fairly in the loop in terms of movies, animation, blah blah blah, and I didn't know anything about it.

Personally, I don't think there should be an Academy Award for animated films yet. That seems like more of a Blockbuster Movie Award or MTV Movie Award...like "Wettest Kissing Scene" or something like that.

I just don't know that the industry is putting out the amount of quality animated films per year to justify having five contenders each year to have one winner that really merits an Oscar. I don't think "Shrek" deserved any sort of Best Picture Oscar or nomination; even if it is in the self-limiting category of Best Animated Picture.

If the Animated Picture is REALLY good enough to be Oscar Material, let it go to bat against the big boys in the "Best Picture" category. If it's not, then let it win the technical awards.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying (but disagree about Shrek). Under your logic though, there should be no Best Picture award given some years.

I wish animated films could compete on the level with live action films, but the truth is one would never win. Actors and industry people want to vote for their peers and not animated characters (if that makes sense). By creating the extra category, more animated films get the same kind of respect and promotion as live action films and that's really what the Oscars are all about. Not best anything, really. It's all about PR. Not that it's bad.

On the PR front, I think Ice Age will win. Many people loved the teasers and voters who have kids will have seen it a million times before the votes are cast. It was clever enough for the adults while being very kid-friendly. Lilo was marketed to a kids only audience. That will probably hurt its chances, but it's the second contender. Spirit the Stallion seemed so incredibly dull from the ads. I remember getting restless just watching the trailer, but I don't particularly care for horses. The acadamy could choose this safe choice and the Dreamworks trio has pull with the academy so it ties with Lilo IMHO. Spirited Away is really the dark horse here. Just the fact that it stands out as something different could intrigue voters. And if voting is split between all the other contestants this may pull in Sprited Away's favor. Treasure Plannet has been getting bad press (even by the folks at Disney), so I don't know if it will be a contender.

Just the way I see it. I could be wrong.

beaker

Reaction score
I saw Ice Age...was bored silly. The only thing that kept me semi interested...ok, more like afloat from demanding my money back was Sid the Sloth. I loved him. I wish JHC could buy the rights to him and put him onthe upcoming Fox show.

Spirit of the Cimmaron: Yeah...no comment.

Wildthornberries: Cannot wait to see this. Looks to be of the exceptional quality of animation the RugRats theatrical features have.

Treasure Planet: Does Disney even like this film? Dont they know Don Bluth esque watered down anime style with over reliance on cgi isnt exactly a surefire win. I mean Atlantis sure didnt get handsome Lion King like returns.

Im all for Spirited Away to win. America needs to be made aware that there is other cultures besides Ameriduh, that films from the far east can be quite beautiful(I mean look how well Crouching Tiger did!) and that anime can be epic...and not all of it is Pokemon garbage like a lot think. Disney could never make something like Spirited Away, because itd be too painstaking for em. This film is literally a hand made cel for cel painting with hardly any cgi. I mean this film is nothing less than astonishing...remember that exuberence when you saw Neverending Story? Imagine that except even more exotic.
My respect for Disney really dropped with how they treated Spirited Away...especially all the hard work Lassetter did to bring this film in and be faithful to it. If Pixar wasnt held by its hand by the Diz, I'd be all for Lassetter taking out a whole page in Variety to give a big F U to Disney.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
...remember that exuberence when you saw Neverending Story?
No.

But I've never seen it. And now it's too late.

And Jamie,

I think there ARE some years where they should just nominate 2 or 3 or 0 films for Best Picture, and say, "ya know....sorry. None of these were good enough." And then other years they can give out more than one.

I still think that Shrek was a fairly obvious parody with poor animation, which in trying to rock the boat, didn't deviate an iota from the stories it was parodying; and it was too foul-mouthed and vulgar for young audiences. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion. I thought it was funny, I enjoyed parts of it, but I certainly don't think it was Oscar worthy.

Quinnarama-lama-ding-dong

Lu775

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo

I still think that Shrek was a fairly obvious parody with poor animation, which in trying to rock the boat, didn't deviate an iota from the stories it was parodying; and it was too foul-mouthed and vulgar for young audiences. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion. I thought it was funny, I enjoyed parts of it, but I certainly don't think it was Oscar worthy.

Quinnarama-lama-ding-dong
Quinnnnnn- I totally agree with everything you said there! Can I be in the minority with you?