Feathers needed...

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wandering if someone can suggest a few websites where I might be able to buy the strands of feathers like the ones used for animal and fraggles. What is there proper name, struggling to find them. I can find ostrich feather fringe but they all come stitched on long piece of ribbon. Is this the best way to buy them? They seem quite expensive?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Slackbot

Reaction score
I buy ostrich feathers from an Amazon seller called Crazy Cart. The 13" long feathers are relatively cheap, especially when you buy multi-hundreds like I do, and I dye them if they don't already have the color I want. (My Boober puppet's red hair came that color out of the package, but I dyed Sage's hair.)

They also sell 15-20mm ostrich feathers fer dirt cheap, but those won't give you long hair at all.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So if you buy these large feathers do you just cut the strands off and bunch them into 3 or 4 then glue them on the puppet??

Can I see your boober?

Chris

Slackbot

Reaction score
I strip the barbs off the main shaft by pulling them toward the root. (You could cut them if you like, but this saves me the step of picking up and putting down the scissors.) I tie these together in little bundles of about 20-30 (if I did 3 or 4 I'd go insane) and then stick them together with a dab of Fray-Chek. When that sets I cut off the bottom part. Repeat about 500 times per puppet.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that they sell feathers in varying amounts, from packages of 10 to big lots of 30, 50, even 100 or 200. They often sell out of this or that color or size, but I've found that if I just wait a week or two it'll come back in stock. I usually just go to the seller's main page (linked above) and search for "ostrich" to see what they have.

You can see my Boober replica in this thread.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Chris