1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Fede Alvarez to Write and Direct Labyrinth Sequel

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by D'Snowth, Apr 14, 2017.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

gavry3 likes this.
  2. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Apparently it is now a spin off to the original not a sequel or reboot

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Wasn't this already announced like last year?
    Well, anyway, I don't mind them being CGI, as long as they have enough budget for the effects. And wasn't one of the Guardians of the Galaxy writers originally supposed to write this? I wonder what happened to that.
    This could potentially be good, I mean, obviously it's too early to judge one way or the other. But honestly, i'm mostly just skeptical that this will even get made.

4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Of course the goblins will be CGI, they have to replace the apparently currently deteriorating puppet cast somehow. And as a supposed spin-off they no longer have to be stuck in David Bowie/JarethxSarah Willaims storyline mode. Bleh, I'm sticking with what we've already got until any true news materializes. :scary:

5. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Excuse me while I cry out all the parts of my soul that believed in keeping classic movies alone.

MikaelaMuppet and D'Snowth like this.
  6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

This is why the movie remake should be not necessary. Some movies should just be left alone.

gavry3 likes this.
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This isn't a remake, it's a direct sequel to the original movie.

MikaelaMuppet and gavry3 like this.
  8. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Oops. I must have misread.

9. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

How is The Goblin King not represented in a movie in which the main setting is his kingdom?

10. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I hope it crashes and burns during production. Knowing JHC's difficulty of getting anything off the ground these days (The Fraggle Rock movie, the Dark Crystal sequel, Happy Time Murders, etc.), that's likely to happen.

11. Pig's Laundry

I still don't get why everyone's being so negative about this when we have such little info. But at this point, I really don't care what the project is, I really want JHC to finally have a big production that isn't a CGI preschool show. I hope, if this does actually get off the ground (which it probably won't) that it at least does modestly well so that they can finally start making more of those unfinished projects, and whatever other ideas they may have in the future.

It's really sad. From Sesame Street to The Muppets to Fraggle Rock to Dinosaurs, those Ninja Turtles movies, even some Saturday morning cartoons, they used to be one of the biggest names in entertainment- Now, their little more than glorified puppet builders.

MikaelaMuppet and gavry3 like this.
  12. Pig's Laundry

Sorry to double post but, speaking of Happytime Murders:
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/melissa-mccarthy-will-star-in-puppet-noir-movie-the-hap-1794858671

Not sure if this actually means the movie's gonna get made because I remember them announcing Jamie Foxx as the lead a couple of years, but i'm still optimistic.

13. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

Not sure what to think of this without the original cast, especially Bowie, as it was said above - the story surrounds his labyrinth / kingdom. I'm all for exploring the world of Labyrinth, but they should stick to realistic effects and puppets as much as possible...

14. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

And seeing as how that new Dark Crystal Netflix series will be using those effects, there's a glimmer of hope that this will, too. :)

15. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

I sure hope so, the practical effects and puppetry is what made both Labyrinth and Dark Crystal beloved cult classics. The storyline will be vital though, especially without the original cast - they'll have to make it interesting enough that the audience isn't always wondering where they are. Perhaps we'll see a grownup Toby?