Fellow Church People

furryredmonster

Reaction score
And while it's true we can never prove the existence of God our own common sense tells us that there has to be a creator for this world is just too amazingly put together for it to have just happened on its own.
But if you can't prove the existence of a creator why do you choose to believe in your God, not the countless other gods out there people have chose to believe in?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well the one true God has revealed Himself in the Holy Scriptures that He led His servants to write many centuries ago Kendra. Unfortunately I cannot remember where it comes from but I know God says somewhere in the Old Testament. "I am the Lord alone. Apart from me there is no other God."
The book of Judges is full of incidents in Israel's history when they abandoned God to worship the idols of all the gentile nations and God proved time and time again that these gods had no power at all to protect them by delivering them into the hands of invaders until they cried out to Him for mercy and He sent judges to fight their enemies and deliver them. But after each judge died they kept repeating their folly. Elsewhere it says that all the gods of the nations are only blocks of wood, stone, gold, silver etc. Whatever they're made of, idols stand for things that don't really exist, but the invisible all-powerful God created all things.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Also: Our God is logical. He (and the events of the Bible) fits in with history. Even many historians and scientists agree that events of the Bible would fit very well and answer alot of questions, IF you choose to believe it. The only reason they still support evolution is because it is not religiously-based.

Plus, if you do enough research, you will find that if you look hard enough, you will find the beginning of most other gods. I say most because I do not know for sure if this is true with all other gods.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Thanks Alex. It's great how we can compliment each other sometimes when trying to make a point about our faith across isn't it? :smile:

I like that point you made regarding the beginnings of most other gods. They all originated through the minds of the people who derived them for something to worship instead of the one true God. He goes right back to the Bible itself. He had no "beginning" for He is the Eternal Supreme Being. He has always existed and will always continue to exist.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But if you can't prove the existence of a creator why do you choose to believe in your God, not the countless other gods out there people have chose to believe in?
I personally don't mind what other religions people chose to believe in, as long as they're good people. In my mind, all religions have it at least partially right. In my case, Christianity works for me. Partially because I grew up with it I suppose. But also because of the things Jesus taught, such compassion and responsibility, and taking on issues many other groups are unwilling to touch. And because it stands up for the least of humanity, and encourages forgiveness and mercy. I'm not saying no other religions do this. I'm just saying this is why I have chosen Christianity. The Church itself makes mistakes, but the faith is what ultimately matters. I personally think evolution is accurate, nothing is impossible with God (But I do not want to debate it right now lol). :smile:

I've also heard of an interesting God-proving theory, The Watch Theory. A watch proves there's a watch maker. :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I've also heard of an interesting God-proving theory, The Watch Theory. A watch proves there's a watch maker. :wink:
That is a very good illustration heralde. Nothing just comes about by chance.
A watch needs a watch-maker just like a statue needs a sculptor, a pair of shoes need a cobbler and a cake needs a baker.
So in the same way the universe needs a Creator God otherwise it couldn't be here. :wink::big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
And getting back to 2 Samuel there is one more major incident I want to mention in the history of King David.
From Chapter 13 on you read about terrible times he had within his own family in particular how one of his own sons tried to murder him and become king in his place.
Prince Absalom had desired the kingdom and gathered a band of followers who conspired to kill his father and all who would stand loyal to him but word became known to David and they all fled for their lives.
David was very upset indeed to think that his own son should be capable of such unbelievable wickedness but God was on his side and David's life was saved from Absalom just like it was saved earlier from Saul.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
David was especially devastated to learn that Ahithophel, his most trusted advisor, had gone over to Absalom's side. He prayed to God that Ahithophel's wise counsel would be turned into foolishness and God answered his prayer through his loyal friend Hushai.
Hushai had been sent as an infiltrator to Absalom's army feigning that he was pledging his allegiance to Absalom himself. In this way Hushai was able to turn the tables on Ahithophel's good advice. Ahithophel advised that Absalom attack and assassinate his father while David's forces were weak from fleeing from the palace. Absalom liked what Ahithophel proposed, but he also asked Hushai what his personal counsel was. Hushai said that Ahithophel's counsel was not good this time. Hushai advised rather that Absalom delay his move and then attack David with the full force of all Israel. Naturally Hushai sought to give David time to recuperate and reorganize. He was also playing on Absalom's ego, saying that all the people would flock to him and he could lead them all into battle against David.
Now even though any intelligent, sensible person can see that Ahithophel's advice is so obviously the better option God had purposed to cloud the judgement of Absalom and his conspirators so that He would bring upon their heads the judgement they deserved.
Hushai smuggled word to David warning him to flee across the river and marshall his troops and we are told that when Ahithophel saw that his advice was rejected he went home and hanged himself. He must have felt so positive that the revolution would fail that he opted for suicide rather than face the consequences for his treachery.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
And of course it did fail.
The army of David annihilated the army of Absalom. Absalom himself tried to escape on a mule but as he rode under the low hanging branches of a big tree somehow his head got jammed in the branches. His neck wasn't broken, but he was stuck and couldn't free himself. The mule ran off empty saddle leaving him dangling in the air trapped.
David himself hadn't gone into the battle by request of his men, who feared for his safety but he had ordered his commanding officers to deal mercifully with Absalom for his sake. But one of his senior officers Joab disregarded these orders. Joab plunged three spears into Absalom's chest while he was still alive in the tree and those under his command hacked him up with their swords. They buried the pieces in an unmarked grave.
Well Absalom had certainly deserved such a death in one perspective. But we are told when David heard that his son was dead his sorrow was an enormous torrent of grief. In spite of what Absalom had tried to do, David had deeply loved him with all his heart. We are told he cried with bitter wailing, "Oh my son. My son Absalom. If only I had died in your place. Oh Absalom. My son. My son."
Eventually he composed himself at Joab's advice for the sake of his troops morale who had fought to save his life. But how great a loving father was David to mourn for a son like Absalom?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Those are a few of the major parts of the book Second Samuel.
Soon I shall begin posting about some of the parts that are worth highlighting in the book Daniel.
I hope you all continue to enjoy this thread.