Figure assistance!

Lunatic Daring

Reaction score
Hiya hiya hiya!

I should start by mentioning that I personally don't need "figure assistance" unlike possibly Stewart, the porcine cat, but I do need some expert advice on my Muppet fig's.

So, like any good god fearing muppet fan, I have all the new action fig's, (minus that elusive exclusive Dr T!:mad: ) and here's my dilemma.

I know that I will NEVER sell them and I really want to pop them out of their packages and display them with the rest of my toy collection, however my "toy room" is full, so I keep leaving them in the pack's while I try and invent another clever way to stash more collectibles in an unused crevice of the house. So, the longer they stay in the pack's, the guiltier I feel about opening them, even though there is no real reason not to, but I get "collectors guilt" when I remove things from their packages! The other trouble about removing them is that then they'll get dusty all the time and I have to find a space that will grow with the collection that is large enough to hold the playsets as well.

Then again, they'll just look so swell minus their packages and ultimately would take up way less room.

This may be a ridiculous issue to keep one up at night, but nevertheless....

Thoughts oh wild, wooly*, and wise Muppet fans?

-LD
*only applies to certain fans

gringo

Reaction score
I'm running into the same situation. Too many toys, not enough room. I had all my muppets on my coffee table, cause that way I could play with them, but also have them somewhat organized. A couple weeks back I had the idea to move some of my other toys either into Bins or another area. I finally got off my butt and moved the stuff. Now I have a large section of my bookshelf dedicated to the Muppets. I won't have much room once some more playsets come out.

What I would do is see if you can move or put away some toys that you are not playing with or not interested at right now, and then move the muppets in that area. It is hard to put away toys, but sometimes you have to sacrifice for the benefits of the Muppets.

BTW: They are so much better out of the packages.

Mark

MM-III

Reaction score
Let's just be realisitic about collecting action figures. Today's generation of toys will never be as valuable as yesterday's generation. Back then, you didn't have everyone and their sister collecting figures and saving them in mint boxes. Today, you have literally tens of thousands. Since people back in the day actually PLAYED with their toys, finding an original toy that is still in a box became a rare valued collectible. The formula is roughly: rareness * popularity of character = collector value. (yes yes, exceptions abound)

Now, looking at it from today's prospective I usually figure there's gotta be thousands of Mint in Mint Box muppet figures resting on the shelves of a lot of toy collectors. Not hundreds mind you... THOUSANDS... people hanging on to these in the hope that it will someday become a rare collectible. The problem is, since so many people have the same idea, it hurts rarity, thus it hurts value. This is why today, companies artificially produce rarity by only making 1,000 or less figures.

So what do I do about it?

Well, despite my knowing the above information, I know exactly how you feel about "collector's guilt" when opening figures and so I usually have a compromise. Since I'm not rich enough to buy two of everything, I usually open the regular figures that I know will never really be worth much more than they are now, and I leave the more collectible stuff in packages.

Therefore, my WW Dr. T, kermit lunch box, EB piggy, invisible and vc beaker, inviso fozzie, and Tux Kermit will likely never see the light of day unless I get a second of any of those. That way I still have a decent assortment on display, but I don't worry about throwing away hundreds of dollars with one rip of plastic from cardboard. Let's face it, in this day and age, your regular assortment figures are not likely to increase more than 200-300% over retail and even that takes a long period of time.

This is why it's always good to enjoy the figures you are collecting so that if they do become worthless, it doesn't matter because YOU enjoy them.

Lunatic Daring

Reaction score
Ah, you are both very wise.

I have always been afraid to put certain toys away in a bin, in fear that they will come to life and kill me for taking away their daylight...I know, I'm therapy bound. However, I did consider this as an option, and so true that everyone and their bro is keeping packaged items so there is really no point.

I also am toying with the idea of keeping the super rare ones that I do not have doubles of, in their packages, so I am on your wavelength exactly.

I think I will find a really good spot (easier said than done, but nevertheless) and open them up as they need their freedom! I am tense about the rare ones, so I will find a shelf that can accomodate in and out of package!

thanks guys! *LD

gringo

Reaction score
I've done that in the past where I open them as space opens. I'll open the ones that need to be opened now, ie main characters or ones I love, then as space opens up I'll open the rest. With Comic Con exclusives, I have one open and one sealed. I was like that with the Simpsons Toyfare exclusives too. I have no need to sell, but there is the potential for trade bait later. I might give the Comic Con ones to my little nephew, if I can ever get him to love the Muppets. :smile:

I still need a Dr. Teeth repaint. But not overly anxious to get one. I'll wait till prices drop a little.

Mark

zachatack

Reaction score
I agree MM-III. I think most people believe that anything in a package today will eventually be worth something tomorrow. the reason items are popular usually boil down to how long children played with them in their heydey. For example, all the toys in the 70's and now (sheesh) the 80's are becoming comodities because those folk are now in their 20's and 30's and want a piece of their nostalgic childhood again. (And now they work so they can afford it.) I can't imagine anything but exclusives being of much value anymore because the marketers of toys and games now know about "collectable fever." Making people believe that everything will be valuable in 20 years. (I am always weary of something that says "Collector's Item" emblazoned on the package. Come on)

From a personal standpoint, I had collected everything Star Wars and kept them all boxed up for years. Do you know how much stress and anxiety this creates trying to keep everything MIP? It's so much of a hassle. And then I got sick last year (kind of scary sick, but I am completely well now) and opened up my figures. I HAD THE BEST TIME! I never thought that day would come, but folks, this life is just way too short to keep things holed up. And what are you saving them for? To sell them? It's a risky investment at best. You want them because you love them-to look at them and to play with them. So buy two at least, and enjoy those toys while you have them. Remember, you can't take them with you---

statler&waldorf

Reaction score
I don't have that problem, as I can't stand to leave a figure in its case, it just drives me nuts to know that i could be playing with the toys and they are in package. I need to get the rest of the muppet figures (I only have kermit right now). I'm also collecting the new He-man figures (they're super-sweat). It's a good thing I have a job now, or I couldn't afford to collect either one. Anyway just remember my motto. DON'T BE STUPID BOY, JUST OPEN THAT TOY (I'm still working on it).

Peace out
S&W
Just 2 sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Telly

Reaction score
Sad to say, but originally, I wasn't going to get ANY of the Muppet toys. For one, I have no room and another because I have bills to pay for. Then it happened. My friend bought me Bunsen because he knew I was in love with the Muppets. Of course one just can't have only Bunsen. So I bought Kermit and Dr. Teeth. I passed on the regular Piggy, but bought the EB Exclusive long haired one. Then the Muppets Lab playset came out so of course I needed that. Now these toys are my number one priority! None of them are in the box either! I'm very proud to say that I opened them all and can't wait to get a shelf to put them on! I even have urges to play with them and I'm 23! haha

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Heck, I opened my Teeth and Beaker exclusives. I only have one Inivisble Beaker but he was in a baggy and I would never sell him. I have 2 Vanishing Cream Beakers so one will stay MIB. I actually enjoy the Teeth exclusive more than the standard figure. I like it when the folks at Palisades get a little creative on these and that Teeth is spectacular.

So if there is only one figure - I will most certainly open it! Not selling these babies - ever. I can only display a couple of MOC figures at a time so the rest are stored away. Probably smarter anyway - colors fade in light. Just how freakish do we get with this stuff is the question I guess. LOL! Can you tell I'm not really a figure collector?:wink:

Lunatic Daring

Reaction score
wow, I have had a total spiritual collector's awakening from reading all these replies! It's so true that you can't take them with you (well, unless you ask to be buried with ALL your toys like I will:smile: ) Nevertheless, what's a little bit of figure dusting compared to hours of fun just making Bunsen use that totally appealing gorilla detector?! I for one have not had a gorilla in the house since I got it, and if that doesn't prove something or other, well, you get the point!

this list is waaaay too informative, in a good way!

*LD