1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Figure Variants: Most/Least Wanted

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by frogboy4, Jul 10, 2002.

1. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It is inevitable that if the Muppet series of figures continues past the next few waves that top characters must be represented every year. This will mean variants not only as exclusives but in the regular assortment.

These characters will undoubtedly include: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, Beaker and likely others. Those are just the really big guns.

They will all undoubtedly receive a few versions. Which ones do you think deserve them the most and which ones do you not want to see over exposed? Just thought it would be interesting.

Kermit - must be well represented. Deserves several variants becaues he will always be a big seller, but he does have 2 versions out already.

Piggy - Eeek! The regular version is sitting on shelves so I think Palisades will be very careful about her in the future - only giving her spaced out/very distinct exclusives. I'd think she'd sell the best, but I was certainly wrong. Absence makes the heart grow fonder for the pig IMHO.

Fozzie - There really isn't that much to do with him so I'm not to concerned about over-exposure.

Gonzo - 2 versions this year planned and one next year so far. We'll just have to see what they have in store for him. Not too exposed yet under the current arrangement. He may skate the lines though.

Animal - Not too much to do with him but he is insanely popular. He deserves some representation.

Beaker - What's with all the darn Beakers? Well, you can do so much with him! And I think that's a great thing. He'll sell, I just hope they don't go overboard. He's wearing thin with me and I don't even have one yet. My opinion may change once he's in my froggy hands!
  2. uncleduke

uncleduke New Member

This is such a dangerous topic.....
    I think the Tuxedos are cool they create a sub-set of the figures, and with the exception of Piggy, all of the main characters (even Janice :p) have been on screen in a Tux.

the Wizard of Oz set sounds like a fun set, with huge appeal if it is mass marketed.

I want the Dirth Nader and Princess Piggy (I'm gonna beat that dead horse till my arm falls off).... I think they could be a Muppetfest exclusive. Don't tell George, by the time he finds out, they will be all gone! It is sooooo much easier to ask forgiveness than permission ;)

For Animal, apart from the Tux, I think I remember him in a kimono with a gong from the James Colburn episode. Other than that I cannot remember too much

I think all of them were dressed as cowboys at one point or another? Or maybe I am just thinking those would be cool since I am in Arizona, and Cowboy stuff sells like mad here. (Make Beaker the Indian, we need more of him ;)) Or Gonzo can be the indian with Camilla as his headress (Yeah, Henson would approve that.)
    I am trying to think of the themed episodes, like the one where they were all superheros, or the one where the pigs took over some of these would be cool, but I kind of dislike the Simpsons figures based on a single episode (daredevil Bart / Mascot Homer). But there is more for them to work with, since the show has more characters, and a longer run.
    So this is where my opinion gets muddled, the Simpsons have more available (yet weaker) one shot figures, but Muppet show has stronger possibilities, that can work better. Any Muppet fan will remember a specific episode, and want the figures from that show.
    The viking Pigs would be a hit, the Wiazrd of Oz would go over big. They would sell to fans and to people who are not buying them now. I think the Vets hospital will be HUGE, selling to medical professionals all over!
    Also figures of them in their camping gear from the John Denver episode would be nice.

Did I answer any of the questions, or just babble on and on for a half hour. It's 2:30...... yikes no wonder I'm only semi coherent.;)
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Dangerous topic? Don't get that. Such talk is what MCers do. Anyway, yeah - I get you, but I am also fairly confident that these characters will likely be represented yearly. That means more Kermits and Beakers etc. The question was more about which one deserves the most recognition and which one may suffer from over-exposure. At least to the fan crowd.
  4. uncleduke

uncleduke New Member

I meant dangerous, in that every one is very opinionated.
    It is almost like they are defending there own children! ;)

I think Piggy is in the most danger for over exposure (there is a terrible joke in that statement, but I am not gonna make it).
  5. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

I would absolutely love a "Marley & Marley" variation of Statler & Waldorf.
  6. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Ah, I get you. Yeah, people are sure opinionated. It's kind of like making a list of favorite to least favorite characters! Eeeek. Good idea though. We've done stuff like that before - especially with Muppet Survivor. I got flamed voting Mokey off. LOL! She's just too kind for such competition. Yeah...that's it.
  7. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Although I enjoy all of the ideas that Palisades has come up with so far, I like the idea of versions we've actually seen on screen more than say, Invisible Beaker. I don't know what I'm saying. The ones I'd be most excited about:

Tux Versions of the Main Muppets
    Hula Piggy
    Vacation Fozzie
    Biker Piggy
    Reporter Kermit
    Purple Suited Gonzo
    Wizard of Oz versions
    Alice in Wonderland versions
    Star Wars versions (in my DREAMS)

Another I was thinking about that I don't think has come up yet--
    "Art" versions of some of the characters, as seen in the Kermitage Calendars and other places--IE, Piggy as Mona Lisa...could come with a backdrop to look like the painting, with a frame on the front of the packaging bubble....Fozzie as Henry VIII...Kermit as Blue Boy.....Animal as The Thinker.....

I dunno.

That's what I was thinking.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I was just thinking of art versions today. Weird!
  9. radionate

radionate New Member

Once again, may I say.......

Please Ken, Make the Alice In Wonderland Characters!!!!!!!!
  10. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

Ok, I know we've got Beaker variations out the wazoo at the moment, so this one can be scheduled way down at the bottom of the list, but I just got this idea reading a review of Bunson at:
    http://www.zentertainment.com/article.php?sid=4104

In there the reviewer suggests an "action" feature of being able to lower Beaker's head into his coat.

So I would love a future "action" Beaker with raising/lowering head, and arms that stretch out from his sockets, and maybe a glow-in-the-dark interior skeleton to make him look like he's getting electrocuted when the lights are out.

Yeah, Action Beaker would be awesome.
  11. John Steffens

John Steffens New Member

well I love the idea of the beaker figures.

The lower/rise beaker head, could be simple as a lever in his back that rises and lowers his head.

the electric Beaker could work, maye have a small watch battery installed in his back(or somewhere) where the inside of his head lights up!
  12. MuppetQuilter

MuppetQuilter Member

Gonzo in the argyle sweater. That's a must for me.

Dirth and the princess would be great-- but it will never happen. Don't think Palisades can risk it, plus, I get the feeling they are a bit too reputable to do anything that fragrantly illegal. And even if they were willing, Henson would never approve it. But hey, beat the dead horse all ya want, just don't beat any live ones.

I want variety. Kermit with the banjo would be fun, but how different would he be from series 1 Kermit? Perhaps we need a banjo in a playset (could come with the stage, couldn't it?) or something like that.

Ummm I agree with Frogboy on the Piggy variants. They need to be very different. Piggy as Benjamina, that kind of thing.

I know MTI isn't all that popular, but I think there are some great figure possiblities in that movie. What works for Muppets fans in a movie may not be the same as what works for Muppet fans in a figure. (I've discovered some of my worst Muppet drawings make the best Muppet quilts, and like wise, some of my best drawings are pretty awful once quilted-- just saying sometimes you don't know what will work until you actually see it.)

I like the Animal in kimono with gong idea. That was a great Animal sketch. Was Animal in a 20s costume in the gangster sketch from the same ep? I could get behind 20s costumed figures.... Gonzo in a striped suit with a violin case....
  13. uncleduke

uncleduke New Member

The Electric Beaker is probably easier to pull off. The main problem I imagine with the lowering/rising Beaker would be the sides of the head scraping against the collar of the shirt, and makinig the paint (on the shirt and/or the head peel off)
    Stupid physics........
  14. grail

grail New Member

You just made my day...that was MY review. There's a new review coming on Wednesday. It's not Muppets, but check out my new rating system (assuming the editor okays it).
  15. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Great review! I've quoted you twice! BTW welcome to the board!
  16. GonzoFan

GonzoFan New Member

Does anyone have a pic of the muppets as the Wizard of Oz characters? I am interested in seeing what they look like! Thanks!!!:)
  17. grail

grail New Member

Really? That's so awesome...and it's just the beginning for Zen toy reviews. I already have 2 more completed, and one that's half done. I have to admit, though Mike and Ken and the gang over at Palisades have been the most accessable company I've yet talked to. Now if I could just get that interview up...soon, very soon...
  18. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

What i would love to see more than anything - the one thing i would buy if i wasn't buying any other Muppet figures - would be a "scrunched-up face Kermit".

...and Piggy has appeared in a tux at least once - in the closing number of the Rudolph Nureyov episode (not saying i would want that as a figure though!)
  19. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

D.W,

Do you mean the 'Sheesh!' Kermit Face?

I would like that too !

Miss Piggy also wore that Circus Ring Leader Costume, Its a bit like a colorful Tux, aint it ?

See ya
  20. towels

towels New Member

I'm still patiently waiting for Kermit the Pig.