Figure Variants: Most/Least Wanted

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is inevitable that if the Muppet series of figures continues past the next few waves that top characters must be represented every year. This will mean variants not only as exclusives but in the regular assortment.

These characters will undoubtedly include: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, Beaker and likely others. Those are just the really big guns.

They will all undoubtedly receive a few versions. Which ones do you think deserve them the most and which ones do you not want to see over exposed? Just thought it would be interesting.

Kermit - must be well represented. Deserves several variants becaues he will always be a big seller, but he does have 2 versions out already.

Piggy - Eeek! The regular version is sitting on shelves so I think Palisades will be very careful about her in the future - only giving her spaced out/very distinct exclusives. I'd think she'd sell the best, but I was certainly wrong. Absence makes the heart grow fonder for the pig IMHO.

Fozzie - There really isn't that much to do with him so I'm not to concerned about over-exposure.

Gonzo - 2 versions this year planned and one next year so far. We'll just have to see what they have in store for him. Not too exposed yet under the current arrangement. He may skate the lines though.

Animal - Not too much to do with him but he is insanely popular. He deserves some representation.

Beaker - What's with all the darn Beakers? Well, you can do so much with him! And I think that's a great thing. He'll sell, I just hope they don't go overboard. He's wearing thin with me and I don't even have one yet. My opinion may change once he's in my froggy hands!

uncleduke

Reaction score
This is such a dangerous topic.....
I think the Tuxedos are cool they create a sub-set of the figures, and with the exception of Piggy, all of the main characters (even Janice :stick_out_tongue:) have been on screen in a Tux.

the Wizard of Oz set sounds like a fun set, with huge appeal if it is mass marketed.

I want the Dirth Nader and Princess Piggy (I'm gonna beat that dead horse till my arm falls off).... I think they could be a Muppetfest exclusive. Don't tell George, by the time he finds out, they will be all gone! It is sooooo much easier to ask forgiveness than permission :wink:

For Animal, apart from the Tux, I think I remember him in a kimono with a gong from the James Colburn episode. Other than that I cannot remember too much

I think all of them were dressed as cowboys at one point or another? Or maybe I am just thinking those would be cool since I am in Arizona, and Cowboy stuff sells like mad here. (Make Beaker the Indian, we need more of him :wink:) Or Gonzo can be the indian with Camilla as his headress (Yeah, Henson would approve that.)
I am trying to think of the themed episodes, like the one where they were all superheros, or the one where the pigs took over some of these would be cool, but I kind of dislike the Simpsons figures based on a single episode (daredevil Bart / Mascot Homer). But there is more for them to work with, since the show has more characters, and a longer run.
So this is where my opinion gets muddled, the Simpsons have more available (yet weaker) one shot figures, but Muppet show has stronger possibilities, that can work better. Any Muppet fan will remember a specific episode, and want the figures from that show.
The viking Pigs would be a hit, the Wiazrd of Oz would go over big. They would sell to fans and to people who are not buying them now. I think the Vets hospital will be HUGE, selling to medical professionals all over!
Also figures of them in their camping gear from the John Denver episode would be nice.

Did I answer any of the questions, or just babble on and on for a half hour. It's 2:30...... yikes no wonder I'm only semi coherent.:wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Dangerous topic? Don't get that. Such talk is what MCers do. Anyway, yeah - I get you, but I am also fairly confident that these characters will likely be represented yearly. That means more Kermits and Beakers etc. The question was more about which one deserves the most recognition and which one may suffer from over-exposure. At least to the fan crowd.

uncleduke

Reaction score
I meant dangerous, in that every one is very opinionated.
It is almost like they are defending there own children! :wink:

I think Piggy is in the most danger for over exposure (there is a terrible joke in that statement, but I am not gonna make it).

GWGumby

Reaction score
I would absolutely love a "Marley & Marley" variation of Statler & Waldorf.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ah, I get you. Yeah, people are sure opinionated. It's kind of like making a list of favorite to least favorite characters! Eeeek. Good idea though. We've done stuff like that before - especially with Muppet Survivor. I got flamed voting Mokey off. LOL! She's just too kind for such competition. Yeah...that's it.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Although I enjoy all of the ideas that Palisades has come up with so far, I like the idea of versions we've actually seen on screen more than say, Invisible Beaker. I don't know what I'm saying. The ones I'd be most excited about:

Tux Versions of the Main Muppets
Hula Piggy
Vacation Fozzie
Biker Piggy
Reporter Kermit
Purple Suited Gonzo
Wizard of Oz versions
Alice in Wonderland versions
Star Wars versions (in my DREAMS)

Another I was thinking about that I don't think has come up yet--
"Art" versions of some of the characters, as seen in the Kermitage Calendars and other places--IE, Piggy as Mona Lisa...could come with a backdrop to look like the painting, with a frame on the front of the packaging bubble....Fozzie as Henry VIII...Kermit as Blue Boy.....Animal as The Thinker.....

I dunno.

That's what I was thinking.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking of art versions today. Weird!

radionate

Reaction score
Once again, may I say.......

Please Ken, Make the Alice In Wonderland Characters!!!!!!!!

GWGumby

Reaction score
Ok, I know we've got Beaker variations out the wazoo at the moment, so this one can be scheduled way down at the bottom of the list, but I just got this idea reading a review of Bunson at:
http://www.zentertainment.com/article.php?sid=4104

In there the reviewer suggests an "action" feature of being able to lower Beaker's head into his coat.

So I would love a future "action" Beaker with raising/lowering head, and arms that stretch out from his sockets, and maybe a glow-in-the-dark interior skeleton to make him look like he's getting electrocuted when the lights are out.

Yeah, Action Beaker would be awesome.