Film vs. Theatre

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not in school, no, but I remember being in a stall in a grocery store, where someone has scribbled what looked like a lowercase b or d sideways, then wrote, "My first d***" next to it. I took my keys and scratched underneath it, "Learn how to draw!"

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Froggy Fool, have you done theater yourself?
Yes, I have in fact. Been in a couple of musicals and plays namely, Alice In Wonderland, Madagascar the Musical, and 13 the Musical. I've mostly done acting, but I want to get into the more behind the scenes stuff.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Is anybody guilty of graffitying the bathroom walls in school?

....I am.
Guilty. Even as far back as grade school, the boys' bathroom stalls got every square inch covered in sexual innuendoes, colorful four-letter words, tributes to favorite bands, and names of various teachers on the hate list.
Every few months the custodians would give the stalls a new coat of paint. But before long the graffiti was back.
But if your intestines determined it would be a long visit, reading the graffiti helped pass the time.

Funny thing was, even though it was obvious the stalls were getting defaced every day, the principal didn't even bat an eye. Nobody ever got in trouble (nobody ever snitched, either) so we got away with murder. Well, not murder, but petty vandalism.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
True story.... In 8th grade in the fall of '07, me being the dumb 14-year-old I was, I would make an excuse to go to the bathroom to write graffiti on the wall.... I wrote some pretty nasty stuff, not even just swearing but saying stuff like "I hate (n word) they all need to die!" (Which, of course, I never actually meant; I was just bored and wanted to have a little fun.

Little did I know, this would catch up fast.... There was one day we all had to go back to our homerooms and write down a sentence.... I was completely oblivious to what was going on, until the following day, we had to go to the gym for a meeting on what happened (unfortunately, when **** like this went on, we all had to have a huge meeting in the gym). There was a police officer there discussing what was going on, and I'm just thinking "Oh ****.... I'm in deep ****." I remember just feeling hot and scared since I knew it was me and they'd probably recognize my handwriting from the sentence I wrote..... But lucky for me.... They never found out it was me. :big_grin: it was a huge relief.

I know one kid got expelled because he wrote on the bathroom wall that he was threatening to bring a bomb on 9/11 when I was in 10th grade 2 years later.... There were police with dogs out and we had to get our bags checked... Guess some apples just get unlucky there.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There were several kids that got suspended or expelled for things worse than graffiti.
One kid pulled the fire alarm, so the school got evacuated. The fire department was not happy their time was wasted on a false alarm.
They found the guilty party. If you pull the fire alarm, you get this blue dye on your hands that doesn't wash off. Kid was busted, and I think his parents had to pay a $500 fine for the false alarm.
Makes sense. You pull a prank, the fire department chases your false alarm, meantime somebody's house could be burning down.
How would you like to live with that?

Another kid called in a bomb scare (this was 1985). Expulsion. I actually knew the kid, saw him in handcuffs getting put in the police car, knowing he screwed up his whole future. The look on his face said it all.

I still beat the graffiti rap.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In Grade 8, one girl got expelled for sneaking a bottle of vodka into school, and anyone who had a drink of the stuff got suspended.

Uhh . . . wait a minute . . . how did this thread go from being about the comparison of film and theater to grade school hijinx?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
As was already said, film and theater both have their downsides, and one sort of makes up for the shortcomings of the other. One thing i've noticed, I think the acting tends to be better in movies. Not all the time, of course, but I guess with movies, the acting can often feel less cheesy, but that could all be down to the directing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As was already said, film and theater both have their downsides, and one sort of makes up for the shortcomings of the other. One thing i've noticed, I think the acting tends to be better in movies. Not all the time, of course, but I guess with movies, the acting can often feel less cheesy, but that could all be down to the directing.
Well it's somewhat more naturalistic in movies. Theater has to be larger than life by its nature. That's why it's often easy to spot a stage actor in a movie or TV show, they're using a different style.