Final "Oz" Rating Report from MHC

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score

I received an e-mail today from the Muppet Holding Company. They wanted to put to rest all the speculation and rumors of how "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" really did. As many of you may know, this was the first Muppet production to be released since Disney acquired the brand. The fate of the franchise was not solely riding on the performance; but the better Oz did in the May sweeps, the better the Muppets' future would be (as it would show Disney that the brand could still survive today). Needless to say, the Muppet did great, and Oz was a totally success in the eyes of the executives! Below is a portion of the e-mail I received from the Muppet Holding Company. Enjoy!

Debbie McClellan (Muppet Holding Co) said:
I hope this email finds you well! I was so excited to see on MuppetsCentral.com that the fans enjoyed the premiere of "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz." Since you love to receive email news about any and all things Muppets, I thought you would want to hear about the films' ratings – and despite what some media spin would have you think, we think they are FANTASTIC! I've given you the top-line information below so that you can share them with Muppet fans. I think everyone will be ecstatic!

Drum roll, please...

Here are the ratings for "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" --
  • Won its slot with children; Girls (ages 2-11) and Boys (ages 2-11).
  • Among teens, Oz placed first with girls (ages 12-17); and among boys (ages 12-17), the Muppets ran a strong and close second.
  • Among adults (ages 18-49), the Muppets placed second with women and men, just behind “Dateline”.
  • Oz ranked #1 overall in four major markets: Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and San Antonio.
  • The adult (ages 18-49) rating was up five percent over what ABC had delivered in the May 2005 sweep with their regular “America’s Funniest Home Videos” and “Hope & Faith”.
  • The movie delivered a 5.2 rating of kids 2-11. (That was the best Wonderful World of Disney numbers for kids in the last two seasons (with the exception of “Lilo & Stitch”, a non-original non-premiere movie).
  • The Muppets provided the third best television kids delivery in prime time this entire season (just behind a couple of “American Idol” episodes on FOX).
  • Both ABC and the Muppets were excited about the overall performance.
Again, as a loyal Muppets fan, this is such great news to receive -- I hope you feel the same way! Feel free to put this information on MuppetCentral -- I am sure the Muppets fans will go wild (just like all of us working with the Muppets have)!

All the best,

Debbie McClellan
Director, Creative Affairs
The Muppets Holding Company

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Wow, that's good news. And San Antonio, huh? Glad to hear I'm not the only Muppet fan who lived there.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
San Antonio is a major market? I guess New York is small potatos compared to San Antonio then!!

By the way, i would love to have Debbie's job. I bet she's making a bunch of money.

ryan

That Announcer

Reaction score
That's great news, Greg!

Now I suppose Jim Hill is gonna have to come out with an article that looks like this:

"SEE? Disney, the crap company that they are, is up to their old tactics again! They're trying to make that idiotic junkworthy film Muppets Wizard of Oz look better than it actually was, and it's total JUNK. They keep jacking up the ratings! Well, know what? It sucked! Don't try to make it look better, because you CAN'T, you IDIOTS! Kermit sucks! I hate Gonzo! End of story."

amiki chan

Reaction score
Well I'm glad that the movie did well. I didn't think my little nit-picking of it would ruin anything but I'm happy that everyone gave their opinions about it so the people at Henson Co. would know what we liked/disliked.
Congratulations!!! :smile:

unclematt

Reaction score
Great to see such good news as far as the ratings go. Great to see. Hope to see new Muppet stuff soon. :smile:

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
That's great news, Greg!

Now I suppose Jim Hill is gonna have to come out with an article that looks like this:

"SEE? Disney, the crap company that they are, is up to their old tactics again! They're trying to make that idiotic junkworthy film Muppets Wizard of Oz look better than it actually was, and it's total JUNK. They keep jacking up the ratings! Well, know what? It sucked! Don't try to make it look better, because you CAN'T, you IDIOTS! Kermit sucks! I hate Gonzo! End of story."
That is too funny. And probably amazingly accurate. Too bad for him he can't back his claims up with legitimate facts. Just skewed and misleading stats on the ratings. Can't wait for the DVD release.