Finally saw Elmo in Grouchland

Drtooth

Reaction score
In case anyone wants to know, I'm on a mission to see all the Muppet Movies, and I had to see this. I need to see KSY next... but anyway:

Usually when I write a review, I give an entire synopsys and comment on it. But since I have limited time, I'll just go right to the Gritty Gritty. When the term "Elmo DVD" comes to mind, I think of the lame "Elmo's World" compilations that flood the Sesame Street home video market. Given the fact I have mixed feelings about Elmo, I bought this movie at ol' Sprawl*Mart for 6 bucks thinking the worst.... but I was delighted by jokes about Ataris, Wonder Woman refferences, and playfully moronic chickens. Yep... I enjoyed this one. Though, I must say, compairing this movie to Follow That Bird is like compairing Attack of the Clones to The Empire Strikes back (at least to me). I think both were good movies in their own right, but....well, the older one is the better of the two.

Even when the movie started I was put off by the fact the kids had to help Elmo out during the film... but I have to admit, after seeing it, it's a cute little feature for the youngest of young. It almost reminded me of a Sesame Street live I saw when I was 8, when the children had to yell out where Grover was hiding. Though the songs weren't as memorable as the first movie, they weren't as forgettable as the Muppet Oz music (yes... one of my many compairisons to Oz, so far my least favorite of the Muppet canon!) And I was afraid I would rabidly dislike Mandy Patankin as Huxley..... you see my dislike of him stems from the fact my mother loves Broadway music, and has just about all his Cd's and tapes, and she used to play them constantly.... well, you can see where it's going. I liked him in Princess Bride, though... but was laughin' and enjoying his performance throughout. I feel he should be one of the Muppet Movie villain greats, right up there with Doc Hopper and Charles Grodin (I'm not a fan of his acting abilities, but playing a villain in a Muppet project twice puts you on top!) There is an unwritten rule in Muppet films that the bad guy is always a human, broken only by Follow that Bird and Muppet Oz (Miss Piggy as a villain was one of the only memorable things i the whole project)

I especially liked Ernie and Bert stopping the film through the duration, commenting on what's happening (including the jokes on how Titanic and Gone with the Wind were tragedies when Ernie replies that nobody likes a sad ending). They really helped spice up the film. Now, if another pair of Muppets were to do that in future projects.... :boo: :sleep: (wink wink)!

The action focused on more of the a-list characters, even though a lot of them were brief cameos. Sure, Elmo was the primary focus, and Super Grover only lasted a good 2 minutes... but at least it isn't as bad as a human taking centerstage and the Muppets playing second (or third) to them (cough cough... MTI, MCC). Plus it was nice to see Elmo take a more emotional role than just "Guess what Elmo's thinking about today?"

I loved all the new characters and designs. The land of Grouches, the bugs, the Junk monsters, especially. They really let creativity fly. I just wish they had that kind of budget for the tv show.

And the best thing of all, I just love how Sesame Street (the street itself) looked on film. It was absolutely beautiful. Due to budget constraints, the street looked a tad dead, and flat. It wasn't as busy, bustling, or as widely dimentional as it was here. And the swan song of the expanded streets, blending effortlessly into the main zone..... it was just wonderful. I always feel they take more care in a theatrical film than a direct to video/TV project All muppet projects, that is. It's one of the primary reasons I felt cheated by not having a Fraggle Rock movie.

But now, of course, I have to state the complaints. First of all, I hate the DVD. The special features are rotten (the Making of Featurette seemed more like a movie advdertisement, then a behind the scenes tour). And secondly... I understand they have to make it full frame for the little kids, but... A) I like widescreen. I had a taste for it, and I ain't NEVER going back to Full Frame!!! and B) the camera "panning" to make the entire thing fit in the screen made everything look very jerky. the Welcome to Grouchland number looked completely out of sync at certain points. I have the same problem with a Ghostbusters VHS I have. Considering these are both Columbia releases, I had to bring that up.

Secondly, I wasn't thrilled with Vanessa Willaims.... that segment, as well designed as the puppets looked, seemed added on, tacked in if you will. Not a great moment. Plus, as fun as it may have been for the kiddies, the 100 raspberries in 30 seconds was painful to watch. As much as I like tongue based fart sound effects and all.

Thirdly, Frank and Jerry didn't have so much of an involvement in the movie, much like some of the latter Muppet films. Count's brief appearance was gold, but it would have been just grand if they were in it more. plus the main Muppets didn't have a large appearance. And, as great as Maria and Gordon were in that film, I wish Bob had come along on the journey too.

But all and all, given the fact this was for little kids and parents of them, I had fun watching it. The humor was absolutely a delightful addition, a lot of stuff they just couldn't get away with on the show, added for the parents. I mean, Telly going berzerk in prison? That was pure gold! I enjoyed this movie on the level I liked MFS and MTI... I really enjoyed them, but they weren;t as good as the first. But certainly much more than MCC, and much much MUUUUCH more than Muppet Oz.

Here are a couple questions to end with...

How involved was Frank in the movie? His characters did appear briefly, but I wonder if he actually performed the puppets, or just dubbed his voice in. Seemed like the former.... and with that said, how involved was Jerry Nelson? He only really played a few characters, but I've noticed Fat Blue's voice switched from Jerry Nelson to (what sounded like) David Rudman and back to Jerry again. Also, the only other character he played (besides Count) was the singing grouch mayor, which was a song, which has to be dubbed in anyway (prerecord).

BEAR

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
There is an unwritten rule in Muppet films that the bad guy is always a human, broken only by Follow that Bird and Muppet Oz (Miss Piggy as a villain was one of the only memorable things i the whole project)
Dave Thomas and Joe Flaherty were villians in Follow That Bird. I enjoyed reading your review though.

BEAR

Reaction score
Also, I will agree that it would have been awesome if they used Bob more. I think he should have gone on the trip to Grouchland too. His interaction with Oscar's grouch "friends" would have been great comedy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Dave Thomas and Joe Flaherty were villians in Follow That Bird. I enjoyed reading your review though.
Actually, I meant as main villains, and I considered Ms. Finch to be the main "villian" throught the movie. Sort of like Doc Hopper vs. the Mel Brooks nazi scientist and the marksman who Doc hired near the end. But then again, it's been YEARS since I've seen FTB.

I forgot to add, I didn't really like how they only had one cameo guest star, unlike the first movie (which like TMM, MTM, GMC, and MFS) had numerous cameos from other celebrities. Guess it was a budget thing.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Parden my question but which is "the First Movie" you mention cinderelmo?

BEAR

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
Parden my question but which is "the First Movie" you mention cinderelmo?
Follow That Bird.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
So Bob didn't go along on the trip in either movie? I think the poor guy really needs to get out more.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
So Bob didn't go along on the trip in either movie? I think the poor guy really needs to get out more.
Both Bob and Susan.

But what is weird is Ruthie barely had any screentime at all. She must have been in the movie for a total of 2 seconds.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
That's true,the villians always seem to be human characters in muppet films.An interesting fact I never thought of.Even in A Very Muppet Christmas.

BEAR

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
That's true,the villians always seem to be human characters in muppet films.An interesting fact I never thought of.Even in A Very Muppet Christmas.
I guess it's always been kind of a tradition that the villians would be played by human actors. In Christmas Carol, the Scrooge character isn't necessarily a "villian" but I guess it works.