1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

First Elmo original sketch!

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by FUZZYRED, Oct 25, 2011.

1. FUZZYRED Member

Here the website that you can see very first Elmo original sketch paper that Kevin clash was holding:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...et-elmo-bert-ernie-through-the-years-11707660

You would be shock how different Elmo was in the past! I just wonder if any one remember that puppet version or that puppet version was used for We Are All Monster because there a tall grey monster sketch there as well.

What do you think?
  2. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I noticed that Elmo's name is labeled, but it looks like that part may have been written on it years later, after Elmo's name was established.

In Caroll Spinney's autobiography, he said that the Elmo puppet was around in an early season and called Baby Monster, then was put in storage for many years, until they decided they needed a red monster. But seeing that sketch of Elmo with the tall gray monster, I wonder if maybe Caroll Spinney misremembered.
  3. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

At first I thought sketch refered to skit/insert/number/bit/etc.

You know, perhaps the actual writing on the sketch was later added to confirm it was the original design art for what became the character of Elmo? I know I once had to go back a later add such to designs of mine, like when I have to have puppets sent out for wardrobe and such, so the seamstress will know which puppet is which and which puppet wears which outfit.

And yes, Caroll Spinney did mention all of that, and I'm pretty sure Kevin Clash has said the same thing as well.
  4. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, too.
  5. gbrobeck Member

The sketch seems to share the page with one for the Kermit the Forg puppet (was that one used earlier than 1978?) and is signed by Caroly Wilcox.
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Just so you don't have to click on that link...

[IMG]

I wish they officially named that other puppet... I never liked calling him Kermit the Forg. He HAS to have an official unofficial name.
  7. Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

gotta agree the note looks like it was added after...other wise it wouldve been faded like the rest of the pic...but other wise the sketch does look like elmo so it couldve been added after to show its connection
  8. FUZZYRED Member

I just found interesting someone said where the red fur use for first Elmo verison puppet is

when Caroly Wilcox recarpeted the office, that's the color rug that was removed.

I found this at http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2450941 Look for fouth answer and you will find it.

Also, I'm not sure if this proof cause that not my answer but, it might someone remember that time when work for Sesame Street. Interesting, the date was
    March 13th, 2011, before the sketch of original Elmo was shown on website.