First YouTube, Now Photobucket Screws us Over...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A few months ago, I noticed that a few images I had in my Photobucket account suddenly had decreased in quality - these included digital artwork and graphics I had created for websites that I usually save as high quality jpegs (100% quality with a file size ranging from 100 to 300 KB, depending on the pixel size of the image).

Fearing someone might have cracked into my account and was messing with my images, I took the liberty of changing my password (it was originally a short, easy password anyway, now mine's more complicated).

That didn't seem to stop however, in fact, in the months to come, I noticed more and more images of mine were suddenly decreasing in quality, and ironically, its my more "important" images that are losing quality (they look like 80% quality jpegs now, like someone that was edited in MS Paint or something).

I did a little research and as it turns out, I'm not the only one going through this issue; so I read about other people's problems and their contacts with Photobucket about the issue, and as it turns out Photobucket is going through a bunch of accounts and compressing people's images to help conserve webspace and bandwidth on their server.

This really miffs me, because I've been a proud user of Photobucket for years - it served its purpose for keeping pics that I don't necessarily need to keep on my hard-drive, or backup on a CD-R, not to mention, I recently opened a new account strictly for a working photo gallery for KGZ, and as you can imagine, a lot of these images, the originals no longer exist, because after I had uploaded them to Photobucket, I was under the impression that nothing would happen to them... now here they are, a lot of them are looking like MS Paint crap, and others are upset about it too.

I've heard replacing images doesn't help either, some people have noted a drastic change in quality after a couple of hours within its upload.