Fix-it shop change

abiraniriba

Reaction score
What's your opinion on the change of the fix-it shop into a mail-it shop. Do you like it or not? I think it's okay, but I wonder what would happen if I asked Maria to mail a broken toaster.:smirk:

Censored

Reaction score
One of the final nails in Sesame Street's coffin. JMO

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I liked the Fix-It Shop better, but this leads me to ask a question...

I've read that the Fix-It Shop was remodeled in 1980. Can anybody tell me what changes were made to The Fix-It Shop?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I like the new addition of the Mail-it-shop, I just wish there was a way for SS to have both, like have a different owner or something.

zanimum

Reaction score
While it would have been wonderful to keep the Fix-It Shop, and just add the Mail-It Shop on, things aren't fixed as much these days, the store just wasn't practical anymore.

BEAR

Reaction score
zanimum said:
While it would have been wonderful to keep the Fix-It Shop, and just add the Mail-It Shop on, things aren't fixed as much these days, the store just wasn't practical anymore.

You're right. The changed it to keep up with the times. I mean, who needs a fix-it shop these days. If a toaster breaks, you throw it a way and buy a new one for 20 bucks. Big deal. I do wish they would have shown the cast more in their professions. How often did we actually get to see Susan as a nurse? Not much as I recall. What does she do now? Is she retired? We hardly ever see her so I guess we won't know.

Censored

Reaction score
zanimum said:
I know that's what they say, yet in my local phone book, there are over 30 businesses listed under "Television & Radio-Service & Repair."

But, let's say that ultimately people are throwing things away more and not getting them repaired as much; is that a good thing? A throw away society goes against all of the ecological messages that Sesame Street has given kids throughout the years. Since repair shops are just less popular but nowhere near extinct, would it have really been so out of step to keep it on the show and TEACH children about the value of conserving what they have? And perhaps if that message was emphasized, maybe, just maybe, the next generation would be more inclined to build quality goods and take care of their property. Instead, Sesame Workshop seemed to be more than happy for kids to grow up following a trend of cheap products and overflowing landfills. There was a time, however, when Sesame Street was about showing kids the world as it SHOULD be in hopes that they would later make it more of a reality. Ah, well.