Flanderized Muppets?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That annoys me because all that computer nerd stuff came from Muppet Babies. Now, I like Muppet Babies, but it's completely separate from The Muppet Show. On Muppet Show, Scooter was a kid who desperately wanted to break into show business at any cost.
I'd say it's all in character interpretation. To me, Scooter did have some generally dorky qualities about him. Not a computer nerd, obviously. But he was eager and enthusiastic to a dorky degree in some episodes. Six String Orchestra strikes me as a dorky guy dreaming of being more.

Now, with Muppet Babies, we have to remember 1 thing. It was a 1980's cartoon. And as such, the kids had to be specific tropes. Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Piggy and Animal fit right in without being heavily altered and obvious. Scooter and Skeeter, however... Scooter was the prerequisite Nerd and Skeeter was the prerequisite sporty kid. Again, all of these shows needed a sporty kid, hence why they didn't just make Janice a recurring character instead of having to create a new one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now, with Muppet Babies, we have to remember 1 thing. It was a 1980's cartoon. And as such, the kids had to be specific tropes. Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Piggy and Animal fit right in without being heavily altered and obvious. Scooter and Skeeter, however... Scooter was the prerequisite Nerd and Skeeter was the prerequisite sporty kid. Again, all of these shows needed a sporty kid, hence why they didn't just make Janice a recurring character instead of having to create a new one.

So if all the characters had to have those personalities and they needed an atheletic character, I feel that a baby Sweetums or Link Hogthrob could have filled this role. Or a baby Louis Kazagger...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd say it's all in character interpretation. To me, Scooter did have some generally dorky qualities about him. Not a computer nerd, obviously. But he was eager and enthusiastic to a dorky degree in some episodes. Six String Orchestra strikes me as a dorky guy dreaming of being more.
Well that's the thing, there's a big difference between being vaguely geeky and being a computer nerd. Six String Orchestra is Scooter to me. Working at Google is not.

I totally get why they did it in Muppet Babies, I don't think Scooter's Muppet Show personality would have fit there. It would be weird for a baby to be another baby's go-fer, lol. But that shouldn't have affected Muppet Show Scooter. I guess what I'm saying is, "Hey, you got your Muppet Babies in my Muppet Show!" :wink:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Does anyone think Fozzie was flanderized a little bit? His jokes got more and more lowbrow until it turned into fart shoes and the "Santa Jaws" joke in LTS.
I strongly disagree.

The only time Fozzie got Flanderized was in the 1990's, when he lost his intelligence and became a bit of a dim-wit. As of VMX, he has gotten his old personality back, including his original intelligence, cleverness and razor-like wit.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Because it felt like studio mandated humor. "Oh it's a kid's movie, we need at least one bodily fluid joke!"
Not true!

Besides, he was using whoopee cushions--a traditional prop that has been used in comedy acts for ages!

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Well that's the thing, there's a big difference between being vaguely geeky and being a computer nerd. Six String Orchestra is Scooter to me. Working at Google is not.

I totally get why they did it in Muppet Babies, I don't think Scooter's Muppet Show personality would have fit there. It would be weird for a baby to be another baby's go-fer, lol. But that shouldn't have affected Muppet Show Scooter. I guess what I'm saying is, "Hey, you got your Muppet Babies in my Muppet Show!" :wink:
Paging DrTooth, paging DrTooth. We need a rebuttal on Aisle 7... :big_grin:

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I thought Fozzie was pretty good in VMX and TM (at some parts), not so much LTS.
The fart shoes bit was actually tame compared to most PG rated family films. It could've been much worse.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I totally get why they did it in Muppet Babies, I don't think Scooter's Muppet Show personality would have fit there. It would be weird for a baby to be another baby's go-fer, lol.

It also would have been weird if Baby Scooter could manipulate others by mentioning his uncle (though I guess it'd be funny if his uncle owned the nursery and he could get his way with Nanny as a result). Though by the time Muppet Babies began they pretty much dropped the "my uncle owns the theater" running gag a long time ago (even before The Muppet Show ended and they started doing things outside the Muppet theater).

Good point- why was he working at Google anyway? Shouldn't he be working at a theatre management company?
I wonder what that montage would have been like if we saw a few characters doing work that seems out-of-character or very unexpected of them.