Flippersteps in the Sand

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
This is part one. I'm not sure how many parts I'll actually end up writing. This story will have at least three parts, but depending on how people react by the end of part three, it might end up having as many as five. Anyway, this is part one. And part one, as you will see, starts in 1963. It will cover everything from 1963 to (approximately) October 24, 2006, mid-morning-ish... All in fast forward, so don't expect all the nitty-gritty details on everything. In fact, expect lots of things to be skimmed over. But it will move slowly at first. Then... something happens.

That "something" is what I have been refering to as a "major altercation to Muppet past." It's certainly not cannon, it's just... Well, it's an explanation that I think fits. It will seem very far-fetched at some points, it will seem like I can't possibly take it from where I get it to how it actually is. But rest assured, I will. I'm asking for your trust on this one. Just bear with me. (Or frog, pig, dog, chicken, or whatever with me.) And enjoy the ride.

Oh, and by the way... If this only ends up with three parts, it is to be called The Flippersteps Trilogy. If it has more than three parts, well it's not really a trilogy, so it would be The Flippersteps Series. Just thought I'd let you know.

...Did I mention that I'm insanely nervous about this story? <deep breath> Here goes.

Oh, and one other thing. Well, two other words: I'm back.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter One

September 22, 1963

Jim Henson, a tall, dark haired, bearded young man, strolled into the diner, laughing with Kermit, a short green character in a red sweater. They sat next to each other at the counter, oblivious to the silent observer in a nearby booth.

She was the darkest shade of green, with long, thick black hair. Her eyes kept a steady gaze on Jim and Kermit. They intimidated her, as most everything did. But Kermit was the first creature she had seen of her own kind since she had left home, and even though he was a stranger, at least he was a familiar species.

Jim took out a pen and started sketching on a napkin. “We’ll make it a kitchen set,” he said as he drew. “You’ll sit here... and Pam-“

“Who’s Pam?” Kermit asked.

“She’s their spokeswoman. Remember you’ve met her-“

“Oh yeah.”

“She’ll be standing here,” Jim said.

“Oh, I see!” Kermit said. “I like it. Good idea, Jim.”

“I’m glad you like it, Kermit,” Jim said. He looked at his watch. “I should get back to the office,” he said. “Frank had something he wanted to talk about.”

“Okay,” Kermit said. “I’ll be there later.”

“All right. Bye Kermit,” Jim said.

“See ya, Jim!” Kermit said.

The observer watched as the man left the diner, and the creature remained at the counter. She stood up to talk to him. She quickly sat back down. She stood up again, and sat back down, stood up, sat down, stood up, and sat down again. She sighed, stood up, and started walking towards the door, keeping her eyes on the floor. She walked straight into a waitress.

The waitress lost her balance and dropped her tray, spilling cream all over the floor and knocking the observer flat on her stomach. A customer at the counter stood up, slipped in the cream, and knocked his stool over. The stool bounced on the observer’s arm before crashing down on it once more.

“YEOWWWWWW!” she screamed.

Kermit turned from the counter and gasped. “Oh my goodness,” he said as he hopped off of his stool and knelt down beside the observer. He lifted the stool off of her arm. “Are you all right?” he asked.

Tears started streaming down her face. “It hurts,” she whimpered.

“I’m sure it does,” he said. “Here, let me give you a hand.” He carefully helped her to her feet and guided her to a booth, where they both sat down.

“Are you all right, miss?” the frantic waitress asked. “I’m so sorry-“

The observer hardly noticed her. Kermit looked up. “Do you have an ice pack?” he asked.

“I’ll get you something,” the waitress said quickly. She turned, ran, slipped and fell in the cream, stood up, and disappeared behind a door.

Kermit turned to the injured observer. “Your arm looks like it’s swelling up,” he explained.

She nodded. “It hurts,” she whispered, biting back her tears.

The waitress re-emerged with a bundle of ice in a towel. She ran over and dropped it on the table as she slipped and fell in the cream once more. “JOHNATHON, COULD YOU GET A MOP OUT HERE?” she shouted as she clambered to her feet.

“This should help,” Kermit said. He lifted the bundle and placed it gently on the observer’s swelling arm. “How’s that?”

She took a sharp breath and let it out slowly. “That-“ Her eyes locked on his Saturn-shaped pupils. “That helps,” she said softly. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” he whispered. He held her gaze in silence for a moment. “I don’t know your name,” he said suddenly.

“Melinda,” she said.

“Melinda,” he repeated. “That’s a pretty name.”

“Thank you,” she said quietly. “...I don’t know your name.”

“Oh my name’s Kermit,” he said.

“Kermit,” she repeated. “Well it- it’s nice to meet you... Kermit.”

“It’s nice to meet you too, Melinda,” he said. They held each other’s gaze. Suddenly she gasped and winced. They both looked at her arm. “It must hurt pretty bad,” Kermit said. She nodded. “You should probably go to a hospital.”

Her eyes snapped to his face. “Hospital?” she repeated. She swallowed hard. “You think so?”

“Well it might be broken,” Kermit said.

Melinda looked at her arm and nodded. “I guess,” she said. “But I- I don’t- well, I just- I don’t know where there’s a hospital.”

“Oh, well, I could take you to one,” he offered.

She nodded. “Maybe that would help.”

` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `​

Kermit sat next to Melinda in the waiting room as she rocked back and forth, holding an ice pack on her arm. She sighed. “I shouldn’t be here,” she mumbled.

“Pardon?” Kermit said.

“I shouldn’t be here,” she repeated. She kept rocking. “Pa was right; I can’t make it here. I shouldn’t have left. I should be there.”

“...Oh,” Kermit said. “...Where?”

She stopped and looked at him. “The swamp,” she said. She started rocking again. “What was I thinking,” she muttered. “I must be crazy to have left.”

Kermit scrunched his face up. “Well not too crazy,” he said. She scoffed. “Well, listen,” he pushed on, “Even if that does mean you’re crazy, at least you’re not the only one.”

“Right,” Melinda said sarcastically. “Like there’s any other creature crazy enough.”

“There’s at least one other,” he said.

“Yeah, who?”

“Well- me.”

She stopped rocking and looked up at him. She smiled a little. “I guess I’m just being silly,” she shrugged.
“Oh not at all,” he said. “I think about going back all the time.”

“I didn’t say anything about going back,” she snapped.

“Well, yeah, but-“

“But nothing,” she said. “I didn’t say anything about going back.”

“Oh,” Kermit said. “Okay.”

A nurse entered the room. “Melinda?” she said. “The doctor will see you now.” Melinda stood up.

“Do you want me to come in with you?” Kermit asked. “Or maybe just wait out here for you?”

“No,” Melinda said quickly. “I’ll be fine.”

“Okay,” he shrugged as he stood up to leave. “Well, if you’re sure...”

“Kermit?” she said.

He looked at her. “Yes, Melinda?”

She smiled a little. “Thanks.”

He smiled back. “You’re welcome.”

She nodded to him and followed the nurse away.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're writing again!!!!!

This is fantastic! I was hooked in from the very first line. I want to know so much more about the mysterious Melinda. And Kermit and Jim together and wow. Kermit's being so great to Melinda and I wonder what a certain pig thinks but of course being 1963 I suppose there is no pig yet....

I HUG you Lisa this is just amazing! I just can't even express it! So, I'll just say this: MORE PLEASE!!!

RedDragon

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
So Cuuuuuuuuute. I love it. :zany: Yay Zany. He likes it too. Well, Happy Whatever-Day and may Gonzo keep you well. And oh look it's my 800 post, swanky.

Oh and Red, you made Lisa go into fast forward mode. She's a strange one.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
RedDragon said:
Oh and Red, you made Lisa go into fast forward mode. She's a strange one.
But that is why we love her right? Go Lisa go!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Well excuuuuuuuuuse ME if I start jumping and spinning in circles really really fast while spekaing fast-forward-gibberish when I get excited about someone posting such wonderfully positive feedback to a story I probably nearly had a nervous breakdown over! OH, which reminds me, many thanks to Prawnie for convincing me to write this story, and for helping me hurt Melinda in this past chapter... I had to hurt her arm somehow, and he came up with that cream idea, which turned into a running gag... or would it be a falling gag... Well, whichever, I thank Prawnie for it! And Beth and Nyssa, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for posting so quickly, (Although Nyssa didn't have much choice in the matter <shifty eyes>) because speaking of nervous breakdowns, I very nearly have one every time I post a new story while waiting for someone to reply... So thank you, and glad you like it! (I almost typed "live it." But you don't really live it... That's my job.)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Who are you and what have you done with...
Aw, hugs for being back and it being your birthday and starting a great new story... Guess you felt Sara had enough of a head start and was trying to take away your crown?
Hee, good thing there's enough room here for all the crazy fanfics...

So... Can we have some more please?

Xela

Reaction score
Ooh! Yay! I can't wait to read more!!! :smile:

Leyla

Reaction score
Ooh, I know how you feel. It can be terrifying to post something that's been waltzing through your brain if you're not sure how it will be received. Writing is such a personal thing. Good for you for being so courageous. I love what you've written so far. Melinda's quite interesting, and it's neat to have Jim and Kermit hanging out together.

Sounds like your story's going to quite ambitious, covering that amount of time. Oh, and I love the title. Is that a reference to the Footprints poem per chance?

Leyla