1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Foam Carving/Sculpting

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by mercnrufus, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mercnrufus New Member

Hi, was wondering if there are any video clips on line, or videos/DVDs for sale, demonstrating foam carving/sculpting similar to what Dave Pavelonis & Whattacharacter are doing. Amazing looking characters.
    Thanks for any info.
  2. SesameKermie Member

3. Buck-Beaver Active Member

John Kennedy's Puppet Planet book has some basic, but very useful tips on foam carving if you are just getting started.
  4. fishbone Member

so i'm thinking that's how human heads for more human like puppets are done?
  5. Buck-Beaver Active Member

It really depends. I have seen fantastic-looking human like heads done both ways. Some types of shapes are easier to do one way or the other, I think it depends on your preferences and what you feel comfortable doing.

I could probably figure out how to pattern almost any shape out of sheet foam at this point, but I couldn't carve if my life depended on it so I tend to go the patterning route with most things. I really admire puppet builders who can do both equally well.
  6. fishbone Member

you know like barry gordemer..he made the puppets i worked with back in 03"..manafter that i was just really into learning that style of puppet making..such detail..