Folkmanis Puppets

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here has used or has any puppets by folkmanis, Theres a shop here in Australia that sells a whole range of them which is quite rare as things like that arent easily available and they are actually in a country town too.

I went there yesterday with my mum and had a great time playing with them for ages, I tried almost all of them, I dont get to use puppets like that very much so it was very exciting.

Some of the puppets are mainly intended for use by children but some are intended for adults doing storytelling for kids etc.

I think they are great puppets, some with a very muppet like style to them. They had some excellent ones there yesterdat , I only wish I had more money so I have decided to build my own.
:smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Folkmanis has a great Web site with pictures of all of their current puppets as well as many of the discontinued ones at www.folkmanis.com. They also have links to online stores that sell their puppets and have a store locator to help you find puppets in your area too!

Baby Animal

Reaction score
Most of Folkmanis puppets are too small for my hand. Actually, most of them are not real mouth-moving puppets, more dolls you put on your hand. But I got the camel from them and that was an amazing full-body puppet. You really have to be selective with them.

My experience.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Folkmanis has a great Web site with pictures of all of their current puppets as well as many of the discontinued ones at www.folkmanis.com. They also have links to online stores that sell their puppets and have a store locator to help you find puppets in your area too!
I have been to their site and its excellent, I visit it regularly.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Baby Animal said:
Most of Folkmanis puppets are too small for my hand. Actually, most of them are not real mouth-moving puppets, more dolls you put on your hand. But I got the camel from them and that was an amazing full-body puppet. You really have to be selective with them.

My experience.
I found the same with the puppets I was playing around with on Saturday in the shop, I think they make 2 different styles of puppets, the smaller puppets that are hard to fit on your hand I think are intended for children and storytelling as you can't move their mouths or if you can its hard to do.

The other ones are character puppets that are much bigger and easier to use and better suited to adults, I even found a few puppets there that were too big for my hand, I couldnt reach the top mouth control.

I think some of the Folkmanis puppets are excellent not to use as main characters but to use as background characters for shows or something.

They had a really really good Tarantula spider puppet there and it looked really well made and realistic. This would be ideal for use in the background as a story with a spider in it, it can even walk, much like a real spider too.

There was also an owl puppet there that was quite expensive but its neck and eyes moved and it was controlled by a rod in the centre. It looked quite real. That would be a great addition to a puppet show.

:smile: