Follow That Bird Discussion Thread

BEAR

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Yes for sure. Every time I've watched this movie, including tonight, I've thought about how visually attractive it is. That's one of the reasons it is a delight from start to finish for me.

Oh ok what I must have been thinking of was the time that SS had someone else start to run the store (there was a period after Mr. Hooper passed away that there wasn't anyone shown in the store, right?). That's nice that they decided to leave the name of the store the same.

A couple people have managed the store since Hooper left. David took over for a little bit immediately after the death, Mr. Hanford came to the street and ran it for a few years and now Alan (who just recently arrived) is running it. I think that during the time of the movie there was no official manager. They were probably between people and by observing the film it kinda looks as though Bob was taking care of it for the time being.

AAO

Reaction score
Maybe even Luis and Bob were taking turns at running it....Bob mostly, but Luis just kindly took over when Bob was busy....just a thought....lol

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
I adore this film. Back in 8th grade, I did a complete social studies fair of Jim Henson titled, "Jim Henson & His Muppets"...I used a rare Grover puppet and added "rods" to his arms. I used all my muppet characters - ones from the 80's! I designed the board like the Muppet Show Stage. I had a large curtain pulled back with Jim Henson's picture with The Muppets and a small stage with the stuffed animals sitting around in a certain pose. This was before I got a copy of "Of Muppets And Men"...I sat out the book to the film "Follow That Bird" and one of the judges said that it was oneo f their favorite muppet films! I did a Henson timeline and even dedicated a spot for "Follow That Bird". I even got from "Parade Magazine" a one on one interview they had with Caroll Spinney! I cut out the entire interview and picture and put it on the board... You'd be surprised at how people react when you describe operating the Big Bird puppet. I won in the school, then county, and the week before i went to state ,the Hurrican Series for Sesame Street was starting up. So, Biography did the special and I got to learn ten times more on the Muppets than I already had! But come to find out, "Follow That Bird" was not mentioned in the biography special. Though, I did hear, in a clip where they're making "the Hurricane Series", i hear the woman that plays Susan say, "Yeah, like 'Follow That Bird'". I rewinded it so many times to make sure. So then I thought that maybe they had discussed "Follow That Bird", they just wanted to cut it out for time or another excuse. Though it should have been included!
I saw the Biography special and even taped it, but never caught Loretta Long's reference to "Follow That Bird". When exactly does she say it so I can find it? Thanks.

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
Maybe even Luis and Bob were taking turns at running it....Bob mostly, but Luis just kindly took over when Bob was busy....just a thought....lol

Yeah, but Luis had a Fix-It Shop to tend to. I just assume it was Bob since he is the one who is seen (Along with Telly and Grover) cleaning up the store the night that Big Bird is announced on the news as a runaway. Bob was sort of the leader of the adventure in that he planned the routes and all. They were always told to call Hooper's Store with any problems or updates and it was Bob that was on the phone. So I just guessed he was tending the store. He was also Mr. Hooper's best friend.

AAO

Reaction score
well, the biography special part I'm speaking of, Harry Smith is speaking while Caroll is putting on the Big Bird puppet on Gordon's apartment set. You can't really hear it...But i only hear the title: "Follow that bird"...in the background...after Harry Smith stops talking. It's hard to tell you the exact place for they continue to go to the past Sesame Street and then the present Sesame Street (well "then") ...LOL

AAO

Reaction score
I do wonder what ever happened with the Dodo's houses? They were so unique and different. What about the cage Big Bird was in and or Miss Finches' van. Oh! they should really bring back the Feathered Friends club on Sesame Street like Big Bird's little club he had - Bird-kateers..or like Oscar - Grouch-kateers....I almost forgot about that!

AAO

Reaction score
Toadstool

I watched Follow That Bird last night before I went to bed. I really enjoyed the Toadstool Parade. I wonder, is Toadstool even a place? LOL :rolleyes: But I enjoyed it all over again. I watched the part where Ernie and Bert fly the plane right over Big Bird, nearly hitting him! I think this was a parody of a film from the 50's or 60's. I can't remember which film, but I've seen it before where the man is running from the plane similar to Bert and Ernie's, but black, and it nearly misses him. Does anyone know what film I'm talking about?

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
I watched Follow That Bird last night before I went to bed. I really enjoyed the Toadstool Parade. I wonder, is Toadstool even a place? LOL :rolleyes: But I enjoyed it all over again. I watched the part where Ernie and Bert fly the plane right over Big Bird, nearly hitting him! I think this was a parody of a film from the 50's or 60's. I can't remember which film, but I've seen it before where the man is running from the plane similar to Bert and Ernie's, but black, and it nearly misses him. Does anyone know what film I'm talking about?
Wasn't it North by Northwest? I'm not sure of, but i know what scene you mean.

AAO

Reaction score
OKAY! That's it! Family Guy even made fun of this and called that episode, "North by North Quaghog" - Peter runs from the plane in that one as well - My brother kept saying, "They're acting like Big Bird did." I was so tickled cuz I know they were making fun of that other movie instead....But it was good to let him dream that "follow that Bird" could have made a parody...