Food Network Challenge: Sesame Street Cakes

mbmfrog

Reaction score
It's the Food Network Cake challenge centered around Sesame Street 40th anniversary on tonight and I'm enjoying it very much. :insatiable:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
hmm, i'm not sure parente is the best sw representative to judge. she doesn't like the big bird cake guy creating his own muppet character...while i don't like the character too much, doesn't sesame street encourage creativity? the elmo design looks the most creative, with a tv parody theme & characters that look very muppety, so i bet it will win. although big bird looks the most realistic, which in regard to our recent conversation about how merchandise never captures big bird, for a guy to do it out of sugar is pretty impressive.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm surprised the judges didn't notice Rizzo's little cameo on the Oscar cake! That was making me crazy! :grouchy::shifty:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
yay! i'm happy with the outcome. and it was cool that all the chefs seemed to love sesame street. but geez, what an awful program concept--all fake exaggerated drama and unconstructive criticisms, like most of the fn shows. but i thought all the cakes turned out pretty cute. though i don't know if i'd eat any of them--how come none of them are judged on taste? do they eat them after the show? i'll just imagine that they plan to share them with the studio audience, but while they're giving the check to the winner, somebody is in the back devouring all the dessert:insatiable:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I felt either the Elmo or Cookie Cake should have won, but the Big Bird cake looked almost too realistic as well.

Still it was a fun show and I enjoyed it very much. :insatiable:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I thought every cake was gorgeous in their own way. The Big Bird was spectacular! It almost seems like a waste to have to eat it!

And I didn't notice until Bob said it, but Rizzo is on the Oscar cake!

MWoO

Reaction score
Honestly, I think the Big Bird cake missed the mark. The eye placement was really awful. Yes, he did amazing work on the body of the character, but the face was just off. Also, the scene itself was a little "meh". I happen to agree that using a non-show muppet jumping out of the cake was odd when you have hundreds of characters, and frankly Jellybean isn't the most creative muppet name. Also Prairie was nice, but the missing eye lash, to me, should have been more of a hit. Overall the cake he made just didn't look good enough to win, though it was impressive.

As much as I'd hate to say it, I think the Elmo cake should have won. First of all, it had a really nice scene. Parody of popular shows has been part of sesame street since day one, and so have whatnots, or in this case Anything muppets. Also I think the Anything muppets looked fantastic, as if designed by Jim Henson himself. I think the coloring was perfect, the shape was spot on, and most important the eye placement was perfect on all the characters. Let's not forget the cake within a cake that 3 out of 4 contestants tried to do. The one on the Elmo cake was the best and could have won by itself. Combined with the fact the assistant was literally working with one hand behind her back I don't get why the Elmo cake didn't win.

The Oscar cake was really poorly done and the guy doing it was way over confident. And really, how do you not try to include Slimey in that cake? It just seemed like the person doing it didn't really get Oscar at all. It was really a bland scene and the character work was pretty bad as well.

The Cookie Monster cake, to me, should have been second place to Elmo. It was a good scene, iconic, and felt like something that would have happened on Sesame Street. The muppet food, again, is iconic.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem I had was... If you're going to criticize the inclusion of a self-created character as losing points, then why do you praise and give points for the Muppet Parody Judges? Sorry, but that's what I kept railing against while watching the show. Rully glad I caught this, okay, was waiting for it to come on. This was great, I'm looking forward to everything SST 40th-ish this year.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I enjoyed all the cakes and loved everyone of them. And i thought to myself. Me, my sister, youngest necie and my brother-in-law watched too and really liked it.

I thought it was still funny that the guy who did do his own character still won. So what's that all about too. To me that character looked almost like a cross between one of the Two Headed Monsters and that one pink little monster you would see back in the later days of Sesame Street. Like in the seasons 1 & 2.

If i was a judge i wouldn't be able to choose the one who won. I would have to go with all of them. They all won to me. I hope i get to one day go on the set of Sesame Street. It's almost if you have to be some one special or on some TV show to do so.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... And there's this part where the guy working on the Oscar cake says he sees the Big Bird cake, and he's not impressed by how quickly and neatly the sculpture's been made. Spoken like a true grouch.

Long live Jellybean!