Footsteps

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I pretty much know that Jim wanted the Muppets to seem as lifelike and believable as possible, hence why although we rarely see them below the waist, whenever they would walk across the scene or anything, we would hear footsteps, though it seems like to me, that may have been a little too much of an overused gimmick at one point... biggest example is Grover: almost every insert he's in, especially his physically-demanding lectures, you can hear footsteps when he's walking, but the problem is... he's a monster... he's covered in fur, therefore, the bottom on his feet are covered in fur, and unless for special occasions that would require it, monsters don't wear clothes, let alone shoes. Not only that, but there's also occasions where Grover just happens to show up in the park whenever Mr. Johnson is trying to enjoy a peaceful day, and once again, you hear those footsteps... not only doesn't Grover wear shoes, but for the most part, he would be walking across dirt and grass.

Maybe I'm thinking too far into this, but it seems like to me, at least as far as the monsters go, Jim would think of a different kind of sound to come up and use for their footsteps because of their soft, fur-covered feet, like maybe a soft pitter-patter or something, as opposed the sounds of shoes meeting the floor, which would be more apropo for, say, Ernie and Bert, Count, or Prairie Dawn, characters that actually wear shoes.

Vincent L

Reaction score
The same problem happens in The Muppet Show. Somehow the first thing that came to mind when I read this is Kermit tap dancing to Happy Feet. Obviously, we never saw his feet.