For tho's who STILL love VHS

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got done making my "Save VHS" petion on line heres the address: http://www.petitiononline.com/SaveVhs/ PLEASE sign it:smirk: Ohhhh DON'T get me wrong I LOVE my dvd player but I also love my Video player at the same time, to tape and record stuff! Yes, yes i know thers a few mised spelled words:embarrassed: LOL but PLEASE just sign it and Help Keep/Save VHS around still!

Thank u!:halo: :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was wondering why there has been NO REPLYS to this thread
Probably because this thread dates back to 2003, and by then VHS was on the verge of exstinction.

I used to LOVE VHS, but after I started watching DVD, VHS started to slowly phase out for me.

The problems with VHS is that after a while the older the tape gets, the older the ribbon inside gets, next thing you know the picture quality is poor, the play quality is poor, and depending on the VCR, the picture can get staticy, wavy, and if the tape is really old, the ribbon will come undone inside the VCR.

Not only that but the average VHS lasts about 15 years if taken good care of, I myself have several tapes that aren't even ten years old that have been taken pretty good care of but aren't playable anymore.

Besides, there's actually DVD recorders out there now, I happen to have one, you can program it to record like a VCR (SP, EP, SLP, et cetera), not only that but you can also set the chapter limit as well... the only drawback is that a lot of DVD recorders (including mine) have special copyright things in them that distorts the picture when you recorder something to a blank DVD; I recorded a movie to DVD once, but the quality of it looked like an old VHS because of the copyright thing.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I have one of those things, too. But I know what you mean. I had a lot a videos that were in storage when we moved into this house, and when I got them out, they were dusty as all get out when I tried to watch them again. :stick_out_tongue: But luckily I've found the same things on DVD.

Kiki

Reaction score
VHS seems almost obsolate now. I think DVD's are great if you want to see a clearer version of something with subtitles and all the other features, but I'll always have a soft spot fer videos. :smile: Same with records, most of my friends have no idea what they are and I still buy them! :big_grin:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know? It really strikes me as interesting that some kids really don't know what a record is now-a-days.:smirk:

Kiki

Reaction score
Same here. I must admit that my taste of things (such as music, fashion, TV, etc) are from about 3-4 decades ago and I have a lot of knowledge on the 60s, 70s and 80s and all that but most people my age have never heard or seen a record player... :smirk:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know that used to be a big joke not to long ago about kids not know what a record player was. But not that is actually true, it's almost not quite as funny anymore.:stick_out_tongue:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I still own videotapes. Last summer, music stores such as Strawberries and Coconuts were selling their entire stock of VHS for $2.99 each. So I picked up several titles that aren't on DVD yet.

I use my VCR regularly. Don't have Tivo.

And I have a large vinyl collection. Some of them I bought in stores when they were still regularly available. Now, I'll purchase them online or at specialty stores.

Have a lot of Beatles, Beach Boys, Doors and Zeppelin on vinyl.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That cool that they have so many VHS tapes at such a low, low price. That's a long way from the $100 dollar price tag they may have started out with. I don't have Tivo either, but I don't want to pay for to use there service, either, LOL! But I want DVR, though. Yeah, records were still a lot more common in the eighties and cassettes were starting to take their place as starting to fade out in the nineties.