Forum feedback

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I was just wondering about how MC handles spammers, bad eggs and the like. Are there a certain amount of warnings a user gets before being banned? Or is it a user by user basis? Also, how do you know if a user has been banned? I mean, like; is there an icon or somethin' next to his/her name? On some forums, I've seen little markers by user names that when you hover your cursor over it, it tells you things like: "so-and-so is on the road to becoming a distinguished member" or "so-and-so is a diamond in the rough" or "so-and-so has one foot in the grave and better watch out!" Okay, so I made the last one up, but I guess I was just curious and interested if MC ever considered such a system that rewards it's "well behaved" users or something.

In discussion of this, please don't bring up members who've been banned or you think should be banned.

And please don't ban me for asking! :halo:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Usually at most forums if a member has been banned, then their entire account is deleted; but I notice here usually if a member is banned or "suspended" their PM option is disabled.

As for dealing with spam, I believe FozzieKevinBear said something about deleting the spam and then PMing the user to say "dude, dat ain't kewl!".

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Rully? Cause me thinks the better policy is to post the link to the spammy thread in the Spammers on MC thread and report the potential spammer to the mods via PM's titled "Member Alert".

And Vic... Those titles were from the Palisades reputation system.
Please forgive me for saying this... But whatever the mods here at MC decide, I implore that such a reputational point system is never instituted. Just leads to bad feelings all around: you get messages from people who get easily upset, you get messages from people who don't even sign their names when poinently negative or just because they can post negativity, others get depressed because their reps are badmouthed by bogus members. It's just something that I don't think should be brought here at MC.

But then again, it's up to the mods, it's ultimately their decision to make.
Sorry but them's my 13 cents on the subject.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
As for dealing with spam, I believe FozzieKevinBear said something about deleting the spam and then PMing the user to say "dude, dat ain't kewl!".
The most recent updates were that it's good to activate the "Report Bad Posts" button on such threads which alerts all MC mods, but it's helpful to post them in the SPAM thread for verification. The current internal problem is mods taking care of threads of Spam and not knowing if it's already been taken care of yet.

Good call, Ed. I'm perfectly happy with the way MC is set-up; I guess I was just wondering what makes it tick.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No worries there Vic... Sometimes it's good to be curious about something you love.
BTW: You spoken to Layla about that secret mission?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Count said:
Please forgive me for saying this... But whatever the mods here at MC decide, I implore that such a reputational point system is never instituted. Just leads to bad feelings all around: you get messages from people who get easily upset, you get messages from people who don't even sign their names when poinently negative or just because they can post negativity, others get depressed because their reps are badmouthed by bogus members. It's just something that I don't think should be brought here at MC.
That's the reason that I've never implemented this. In theory it's a great idea, but it's something easily abused.

We are considering such a setup where only mods could leave public comments on an account concerning warnings, issues etc.