Forum Width Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you sometimes run your computer in a high-resolution (above 800 by 600) you have likely noticed that our forum may appear thinner than before. This change has been done for a variety of reasons including having the forum width be the same size as the rest of the site.

Just wanted to mention that nothing is wrong and that this change is the intended effect. If your display size is 800 by 600 or lower than the forum should look the same as it did before.

matleo

Reaction score
Phil,
Mind if I ask what doem of those "other reasons" are? As I see it you've basically just changed it so it looks silly to those with higher resolution screens. People with lower resiloutions screens don't notice a chanege but it looks silly to the rest of us. Just wodering if you could provide a different reason for doing this as "making it the same width as the rest of the forum" doesn't make any sense. Nothing personal, just looking for an explanation
--Matt

MahnaMahna

Reaction score
Are you working for Disney Phil?

You should know by now that the change from widescreen wouldn't be well received!

Mark

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MahnaMahna
Are you working for Disney Phil?

You should know by now that the change from widescreen wouldn't be well received!
Beautiful Mark! That's hilarious! Thank you both for your comments. Hopefully this will make things a little clearer.

I did not say "making it the same width as the rest of the FORUM"... rather the forum is now made the same width as the rest of the site. The forum is not a separate site, it's a part of Muppet Central just like news, collectibles, radio, etc. The forum will soon have a menu at the top to match the other sections throughout Muppet Central. The width change needed to occur so that the menu aligned properly with the forum and so that the forum has a similar look and feel as the rest of the site.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I view at 1280x1024 and it looks fine to me :cool:

Struble

Reaction score
I do not know why, but the width change makes me feel dizzy and makes my poor wittle head hurt.

Sh.

Luke

Reaction score
The major reason for a forum is in usability and the ability to communicate easily. When you consider we have short sighted and older people here a fixed forum width is going to take some of that away for a minority. I can see the reasons for it though and Jamie's flash header will look great once it's up but right now the contrast of empty black space and white create a minimalistic illusion. It's a common trick in web design and looks smart and although bare puts the focus on the content in the middle of the page.

Maybe people could have the option of viewing the forum on its own full screen or as part of the site with the header ? You'd have to use two different templates that access the same script rather than just adjusting the pixel width in the admin options though.

scarecroe

Reaction score
You'll get used to it in a week and never notice it ever again. I promise.

Joggy

Reaction score
I just think this is highly annoying. I can't read anything in here without scrolling left/right, and when I turn my computer to 1024x768, I have to sit in front of the screen in order to read the ant-sized text.

Besides that, I often run messengers like AOL while posting on MC, and I'd like to have access to both windows at a time.

Phil, couldn't you please change it back or something?!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jogchem,

Just wanted to check to see how you are adjusting to the forum width change. Now that the forum menu above is in place, hopefully it's a little more clear why the change was implemented, so that the forum and site would have the same look and feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.