1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Fozzie Bear on display at the 'Teddy Bear Collection' in Wimbledon, UK

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by markit, Jun 15, 2012.

1. markit

markit Member

Here's an interesting fact, not sure if it's been documented on here already, apologies if it has, but just down the road from where I live, in Wimbledon, Surrey (yes, where they have the Tennis..and the Wombles..er..look them up kids) there's a collection of Teddy Bears on display at the Polka Theatre, and included among a varied selection of well known Bears is of course, everyone's favourite 'furry, fuzzy, funnyman' (er..bear) Fabulous FOZZIE BEAR!! :) cue music.....

Of course you can't have a collection of famous bears without Fozzie :)

Not quite sure where he's come from or the history of how he got there, no doubt you'd have to go and see the collection to find out.

Judging by the look of him, i'd say he's from the early days, or possibly just a replica that someone's had made..because something doesn't look quite right about him, what going on with his nose?! Poor thing's been smooshed! :) Possibly been damaged over the years.

Take a look for yourselves, in this screen grab taken from the promo vid.

[​IMG]

And here's the link for the theatre.

http://www.polkatheatre.com/editorial/teddy-bear-collection

Thanks to Alex who I met at the HMV Kermit appearance for the heads-up on this info.
    Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  2. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Fozzie road-kill? That...is...frightening!! :o
    Lola p and markit like this.
  3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Whew! Looks to me like the foam inside him has turned to toast, and he was rather inexpertly stuffed.
  4. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

It's an original fozzie bear puppet from season one of the muppet show ( there were three). It was given to the teddy bear museum by jim Henson in Stratford on Avon. This was owned by Charles brandith. He sold the museum and the collection which is when fozzie ended up at the polka theatre.
    He looked better at the other museum than he does now!! Poor fozzie.
    I'll send you a pic mark. Please post it in this thread as I'm not sure how you do it??

Hope this helps.
    So you have seen 3 original muppets in as many days!!

Chris
  5. Kermieuk

Edit: Ok his name is gyles brandrith!
  6. markit

markit Member

7. markit

markit Member

Sorry, clicked 'reply' not so easy when typing on Iphone :)

As I was saying , best way to post pics is to open a photobucket account , add the photos there and add the direct image link to your reply.

Theres probably other ways but that's how I've always included pics in posts.

:)
  8. Kermieuk

Thanks Mark,

I have a photobucket account. I usually copy the link option, I'll try a different way now??
    Chris
  9. Kermieuk

10. Kermieuk

Does this technique work on iphone?? Is there a app for photobucket??

Chris
    Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  11. Luke

Luke Active Member

I remember Gyles from TV back in the 80's

It's fantastic one of the three original Fozzie's is there. I must go and see him. Looks great on display but could do with being preserved in better conditions.
  12. Kermieuk

The pic of me with it was at the original Stratford museum in 2006. He's probably behind glass now!!

Chris
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Ah right, thanks Chris. He looked good in 2006 then ... now smooshed. Its great that he's in the UK.
  14. catherine

catherine Active Member

I want to see some more pictures of them in the uk.
  15. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Yeesh! Honestly, I have nothing to say about this... just, ugh! :ouch:
  16. mo

mo Well-Known Member

old fozzie is kinda creepy....
  17. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, the poor thing. Can he be restored or something?
  18. I also saw Fozzie in Stratford Upon Avon (and had a sneaky touch). It's a shame to see him smooshed up like that. :o
  19. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

This is incredibly awesome with a pinch of nightmare fuel.
    I've always loved the original Muppet builds, but it's kinda sad what happened to that Fozzie... maybe someday he'll be fixed up...
  20. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

When did Fozzie become a giraffe?