Fozzie Name Origin

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
This comes directly from Dave Goelz. I always thought he was named for Muppet builder Faz Fazakas, but Dave doesn't think so, especially since they are spelled differently. He said there was a rumor that it was "F. OZ-zie" for Frank Oz, but he's not even sure that's true.

What's the real story? I guess no one really knows!

:stick_out_tongue:

travellingpat

Reaction score
Hmm i always thought it came from Faz Fazakas...who knows....

dwmckim

Reaction score
This was actually mentioned in the TMS S1 Muppet Morsels (RIP). Since Jerry Juhl was among the team working on those, i'm guessing the history on this was one of his contributions:

He was originally going to be named Ozzie Bear as a tribute to Frank. They couldn't use this name because of copyright reasons. So they adjusted it to Fozzie with the new name being a nod to Fazakas. So basically a mixture of homages to Frank and Faz.

Lab Rat

Reaction score
A few years ago Frank Oz was on the UK breakfast show "The Big Breakfast" some one asked him about Fozzies name and he said he was named after Faz Fazakas.

Princeton

Reaction score
He was originally going to be named Ozzie Bear as a tribute to Frank. They couldn't use this name because of copyright reasons.
So this is basically saying that "Ozzie Bear" was already copyrighted. I'm curious as to what the preexisting "Ozzie Bear" was; anybody know?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
This was actually mentioned in the TMS S1 Muppet Morsels (RIP). Since Jerry Juhl was among the team working on those, i'm guessing the history on this was one of his contributions:

He was originally going to be named Ozzie Bear as a tribute to Frank. They couldn't use this name because of copyright reasons. So they adjusted it to Fozzie with the new name being a nod to Fazakas. So basically a mixture of homages to Frank and Faz.
Cool! I've always wondered about this too, as I've heard he was named after both. :embarrassed:

Beauregard

Reaction score
No, I don't think it was "Ozzie Bear" but just "Ozzie" and perhaps they didn't want flack from either Ozzie Nelson or Ozzie Osborn in terms of using "Ozzie" as essentially a marketing tool.
Ooh...now I'm imagining Fozzie Bear as Ozzie Ozbourne...Not good for my mental images.

Count von Count

Reaction score
This comes directly from Dave Goelz. I always thought he was named for Muppet builder Faz Fazakas, but Dave doesn't think so, especially since they are spelled differently. He said there was a rumor that it was "F. OZ-zie" for Frank Oz, but he's not even sure that's true.

What's the real story? I guess no one really knows!

:stick_out_tongue:
That's cool to know.