Fraggle fic: The Minstrel's Path

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, as I sort of remember, poison cackler are crablike/scorpionish critters. And this applies if scorpions are part of the arachnid family which I could be mistaken towards...
"Ushi" as in "ushi-oni" refers to one of two species of Japanese monsters:
1 An arachnid-bovine hybrid being (think of a bipedaled minotaur with spider shell and spider legs) like Arachnitaur from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy: Wrath of The Spider Queen; or
2 A bovine-cecaelian hybrid being (upper body of a minotaur and lower body of an octopus) like the Eight-Tailed Beast from Narudo.
You can go to either franchises' Wiki to search for these creatures, hope this helps explain it better.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ah. I was confused because "ushi" means cow, cattle, or ox. ("Ushi-oni" would mean, more or less, "cow demon.") I didn't see what that had to do with scorpion-like Poison Cacklers.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So it's name is "cow/ox demon". Then that would make either creature an ox-octopus or ox-spider monster. So Hunghorn from Power Rangers, as an ox monster was the one that got it closest to correct depiction, splitting the spider aspect into Arachnofiend (Tsuchigumo) and the octopus element into Hydro Hog (Umibozu).

Thanks for clarifying these for me. *Leaves choc chip muffin for Kim.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Nom nom nom.

"Ushiwaka" is a character in the video game Okami, the title of which is the neatest bit of Japanese punnery I've ever seen. He's an odd fellow who appears out of nowhere, spouts prophecies, maybe engages in battle, and then is gone again. He's based on the Japanese folklore character Ushiwakamaru. I was thinking of someone who could live up to his pop in the bafflingness department.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That actually makes sense. The funniest concept in Japanese monsterdom I've come across is the Yamaoroshi, which is a whirlwind, but was reimagined as a possesed radish or radish grater. Although the source I found it at also says it could be a spiky porcupine demon as well.

And then there's the Ittan-moman, a strip of flying cloth that wraps itself around humans. Imagine being attacked by a scarf already wrapped around your neck.

So yeah, Tarin sounds perfect for Cantus's son. :zany:

Slackbot

Reaction score
In Japanese mythology, an item that has been in existence for 100 years can come to life as a supernatural being, a 'demon' without the satanic connotations. Demon teapots, umbrellas, fans, and especially dolls. I have no problem believing that kitchen implements or items of clothing could undergo this transformation.

Speaking of transformations...I have an interesting idea about Cantus's's's's fate, and I'll need to let it set a while before I decide whether it's brilliant or just goofy. No, not a Fraggle Kitsune; he won't live long enough to grow extra tails (100 years, by Shinto tradition).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, the category for those monsters is "Tsukumegami" (not sure if I got the spelling right).
There's the Biwa (sandal monster), Chochinobake (lantern), Kasa-obake (umbrella), Kesaron Pasaron (fluff or cotton balls), and other such from Japanese lore.

:boo: Say, where is the land of the Rising Sun anyway?
:sleep: I wouldn't know, I don't get up that early.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heyyy... if we make puppets out of really durable stuff that won't go toast on us, and wait a century, we'll have real Muppets! OK, they'll be spirit/demon critters, but that's fine, we can start with Uncle Deadly.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Fright. Or would you prefer to start with a fanged :smile:?