Fraggle Puppet Question

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was going about creating a Fraggle-ish puppet (Warrick, you know about this already - hee hee) and I have the head completed in a teal colour and the mouth interior is a navy colour (I didn't use black if only for aesthetic purposes). My question is twofold:

Firstly, does anyone know where I can find fur fabric that closely resembles a Fraggle look? (Somewhere I heard about getting fur fabric with a 'large pile,' but, as I'm not educated enough on fabric jargon, I'm clueless as to the definition - I was guided to berber, but it isn't the same thing) :frown: If anyone simply knows a location (preferrably online, since I don't enjoy paying for outrageous shipping costs, and I'd like to possibly have the stuff sooner) where I can obtain that type of fur, I'd appreciate it! And secondly...

About the fur, if someone knows a source, could you please inform me if either one of the following are okay: That the fur is either a) dyeable, or b) of a navy colouring. I would also think that teal would work, as long as the fabric was different than that of the head and appendages. Any info would be much appreciated! :smile: Thanks guys! I'll post pics when I'm done -- or you could just ask Warrick for the head-shot(s) :smile:

>Adam AKA 'PukkaPukka'
"Bring back some pink ice cream" :smile:

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Puppet...

Pukka Pukka,

Welcome to the forum. (Just a quick note... Since this is mostly related to the actual construction of puppets you might want to post questions like this in the puppetry forum in the future. The moderators may move it.)

And since no one else is answering your questions, I'll give it a shot. The term 'pile' bascially refers to the length of the fur. For example a long haired cat, like a persian, would be a long pile and a short fur, like a teddy bear might have, would be short pile. Pretty easy. Another way to look at it...The pile of the fur is basically the fabric (fur) that sticks up from the backing material.

Now about dying fur...I don't normally recommend it. Most furs are synthetic like acrylics and don't take dyes well. Not to say that they can't be dyed, usually however, it takes special industrial dyes that are really expensive and require special processes. Most time it's easier just to find something pre-dyed to the color or shade you want. Sometimes you can color fur fabric with textile paints or airbrushing dyes but it could stiffen the fabric or make it become matted.

Finding fur you want is it's own seperate monster. Since most fabric stores don't carry a large selection of furs you might have the best luck looking online. Sometimes Ebay has some finds. Just type in 'fur fabric'. If no luck there, check out the selection at www.crscrafts.com. They can send you different swatches to see what they have. Also check out their colors. If they don't have anything you like describe what you want and see if they can order it. You never know till you ask. Be forewarned, most fur fabrics are pretty pricey.

If you don't go that route check your local textile outlets and wholesale fabric stores. Sometimes they will let people buy direct at retail. Ask around.

Btw, keep us posted on the progress of your Fraggle puppet. I'd like to see it!

Fragglerockr (Lee)

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Hey Lee!

Thanks for the generous information! (BTW, my posts are getting plenty of views, just not many replies - well, only you - hee hee!) I was up in arms over whether to post this thread in either the Fraggle section or the Puppetry section due that yes, it is predominantly about puppet creation, but that the specifics relate to Fraggle and the like. Either way - it's somewhere. :smile:

The information on 'pile' was quite useful, too. Although, I can still say that I'm a bit confused whether 'pile' can also relate to the thickness of the individual fibres (long or short, Fraggle fibres are thicker, wouldn't you say?), but I'll take a gander over at CRS and see what they have in. Thanks again.

Oh, and I thought about dyeing fur fabric a while, and I would concur with you - now that you mention it, it does seem like any paint would only make the fur mussed, wouldn't it? On the purchasing, I've looked around the city here (Boise is not the best capital city for purchases of this sort), and the right material is nowhere in sight. There was a store here that had some "Fraggle-ish" fleece in, as well as, believe it or not (for Idaho), Antron...but the catch was that it was LAST YEAR (?!) Just my luck, eh? :smile:

BTW, I will be sure to keep you guys up to date on my puppet-making. The head section I have now is (finally, after some annoying problems) finished, and I'm, once I can get the right fabric (hence my previous post), moving on to the torso section. I'm calling him Wotsit for now :smile:

I'll post a head shot if you would like, but since I'm not finished completely, I don't know if I should keep you in suspense or not. Hee hee! Anyway, thanks for the info!

>Adam

FreddytheFrog

Reaction score
hey pukka im new to the gang i was wondering what did you use to make the head i wanted to make my own fraggle puppet but didnt know where to start please if you can help me out

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
FreddytheFrog said:
hey pukka im new to the gang i was wondering what did you use to make the head i wanted to make my own fraggle puppet but didnt know where to start please if you can help me out
Hey man! I actually posted an entire description of how I created my Fraggle puppet in the puppetry forum. It's only remotely Fraggly, but it gets the job done. For now, I'm concentrating on a show I've got in the works with my puppets and about a crew of 10. But yeah, look at my post in the Puppetry forum, it explains what I did to a 'T.' :smile: Hope I could help!

>Adam
(PukkaPukka)