Fraggle Rock Animated

Count von Count

Reaction score
So Fraggle Rock the animated series is going to be on dvd? Has someone seen the show, i have just seen the start on youtube, is it good? Does it start at the end of were the the Fraggles left off. Is it a U.S. show or was it just in Australia?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I've only seen what's on youtube (1 ep plus the opening) ... I barely remember there WAS a cartoon ... From the one ep that I've seen on youtube, it can't possibly take place after the series, since the Gorgs are still bent on stopping Fraggles. According to plot summaries I've read, some eps are like follow-ups to certain episodes of the main series, but all in all it's basically it's own thing.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Someone else can sum up the story better... but i'll try my best :smile:

Fraggle Rock was originally aired on HBO. So, for children less lucky then others, there was the cartoon. I believe either ABC or CBS aired these shows on Saturday mornings (wow how i remember the days when cartoons were only on sat mornings and how excited i was lol).

So, no it wasn't a follow up. It aired i think at FR's 4th season... i could be really wrong.

And no... it wasn't follow ups. They had different stories. They remade the music to match the characters voices, but they kept the music fount in the HBO version of FR.

But this is exciting news to me. Where did you learn this? I saw some on ebay awhile back but nothing on Amazon so i felt they were fakes

Drtooth

Reaction score

Fraggle Rock was originally aired on HBO. So, for children less lucky then others, there was the cartoon. I believe either ABC or CBS aired these shows on Saturday mornings (wow how i remember the days when cartoons were only on sat mornings and how excited i was lol).

So close. Actually, it was NBC. It was definately not the network that aired Muppet babies (CBS). I don't know why, myself. maybe it was because Henson was knocking at NBC's door.

I'm going out on a limb and say this show was probably meant either as a prequal or sequal to the series, as in the original series Bible, Doc and Sprocket wouldn't have been in the show. That could of course meant they moved, or just weren't living there yet.

No DVD set is avaialble, but if you check out the single release disk Fraggle Rock DVD's, not the season sets, they have a full episode of the cartoon series each. The 12" Fraggle Plush (which you may still be able to find at KB Toys) came with a free DVD that had half an episode on it- half an episode as it's a 11 minute cartoon short that was part of a full half hour.

EDIT- Actually a DVD is available, but only in Australia, and it's a region coded 4 disk, so unless you have a region free DVD player, you can't watch it.

GSmiley2007

Reaction score
Plus it started airing in September 1987, about six months after the puppet version's 96th and final episode in March of that year.

BTW, who would've been a better choice to voice some of the characters on the animated FR, if they couldn't spend more money to get the original puppetteers (especially Richard Hunt for Junior Gorg, who I wish Marvel would've used since the original puppet sounds a lot better than the baby-sounding version in the cartoon) to do their voices? (Although I have to admit, I myself think Rob Paulsen's animated Boober is spot-on to the original Dave Goelz puppet version, kinda like how Frank Welker's Baby Kermit is similar to the original adult Kermit as performed by Jim Henson, as is Greg Berg's Baby Fozzie being similar to the original Frank Oz Muppet)

Drtooth

Reaction score
BTW, who would've been a better choice to voice some of the characters on the animated FR, if they couldn't spend more money to get the original puppetteers (especially Richard Hunt for Junior Gorg, who I wish Marvel would've used since the original puppet sounds a lot better than the baby-sounding version in the cartoon) to do their voices?
I've heard conflicting things. I think Karen Prell herself once posted here saying they couldn't get the puppeteers due to a schedualling conflict. But I've also heard money was a problem as well.

That said, I think some of the voices really worked, Rob Paulsen didn't just impersonate Dave Golez, but he also made the roles his own. And whoever voiced Red was very close too. But Junior Gorg was way off, and almost more Elmer Fudd like than a big goofy guy with a goofy deep voice.

Plus, there's no way you can impersonate Jerry Nelson. When that guy's vocal cords were made, someone dropped the mold.

GSmiley2007

Reaction score
And I'll admit, Townsend Coleman's animated Gobo was OK, but it just wasn't the same without the Canadian accent Jerry Nelson gave to the original puppet. (I think Townsend's still doing VOs for NBC's famed Thursday night "Must-See-TV" line-up, if I'm not mistaken, plus I think his best role might be either Michaelangelo of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the Tick from the 1994 cartoon)

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I hope we'll see the entire 13-episode run on DVD after the 4th season set is released here in the US in October.

Count von Count

Reaction score
Ok cool! But did some of the writers or cast members, of F.R., write it? Or was it someone other?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope we'll see the entire 13-episode run on DVD after the 4th season set is released here in the US in October.
It would be perfect if we did. I mean, then we'd have the complete complete series. The animated series basically is nothing too much more than a supplimentary show. Plus, they own the distribution to the cartoon, so there's nothing majorly stopping them from doing so.