Fraggle Rock DVD Petition

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
So you mean release one Disc with the first 6 eps on ?

And then One disc containing 6 eps at a time ?

I think it is a good idea, For us it would be great to see them in order, And to other buyers they wouldnt be any the wiser if it was a Compilation disc or in order !
That's exactly the idea.

Right...the casual viewer wouldn't know a "compilation" disc from a disc with 6 chronological episodes...nor would they care.

To the real fan, however, they do care and they want them in order. So this is a simple win-win.

I think the reason why so many "compilations" come out is that the marketing guys think "oh, this is just kids stuff and nobody really takes that seriously so just put a few episodes on a disc and we're done". That would be a travesty with Fraggle Rock DVDs.

And besides...kids would benefit from having all the episodes available and in order just as much as as the die-hard fans who sign the petition :smile:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
David,

i should think that is more than likely the way they will go if they release 'em.

But we need to find more ways of Promoting the Petition.

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Warrick

The way they'll more than likely go is a compilation - basically because they are selections of the best episodes and because its standard Henson policy - however David has a nice idea.

The petition needs more than 5,000 signatures ideally to submit if not a lot more - Henson already knows there are a thousand or so dedicated fans on the net who will buy DVD's. It basically goes back to what Danny said at Toughpigs.com in his article about petitions.

I suggest you go to 80's and 90's site webmasters (cult tv sites and stuff) to get some publicity. Just do a search for them.

Jessie

Reaction score
-You Guys!-

I really don't see it happening with Fraggle Rock.
Okay, I know I'm going to sound all cheesy and optimistic, but hey, someone has to say it.
*Pulls up soapbox*
Just because it is very, very unlikely that Henson will actually release all Fraggle Episodes on DVD doesn't mean that we should just throw in the towel. I know it's a long shot, but even if Henson rejects the idea now but only shelves it for awhile when DVDs are a lot cheaper, then we still will have made a difference. I personally have only seen 20 episodes on Fraggle Rock. I have them recorded from HBO on realy crappy VHS that's falling apart. I've never ever seen the last episode! If this petition even gets a few released, then it will be worth all the time that I've put into this. Not to be mean, but it kind of insults the people that have worked really hard onto making the site and spreading the word when you say, "Hey nice effort but it's not going to happen."
Just think of Andy Dufresne from the Shawshank Repemption--he wrote a letter a week to the government asking for funds and after 6 years he got them. If it takes 6 years to get Fraggle Rock on DVD then it will be worth it to me.
What we need now is encouragement, not discouragement please. The glass is half full to me. :0

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like that kind of sentiment. Nothing ever comes from those who say things can't be done. Good to see somebody keeping the faith. It's bound to happen someday, and I'm not going to give up.

Luke

Reaction score
Jessie

You needed to read the post properly and ended up quoting me totally out of context. When i said "i really don't see it happening with Fraggle Rock" i was talking about full boxes of season by season DVD's - not the whole thing in general. Read back and have a look !

I don't see the point in campaigning Henson specifically for something that is so out of character and fairly unrealisitic when you can campaign them to do something that IS totally possible and realistic. David had a great idea though when he phrased it another way - doing single DVD's in chrono order !

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
If it takes 6 years to get Fraggle Rock on DVD then it will be worth it to me.
Exactly.

I don't view it as being overly-optimistic. I just view it as needing a little patience and dedication.

EVENTUALLY if enough fans keep telling Henson they want Fraggle Rock (and they want them all) we'll get them. We might have to wait a while...but we'll get it.

I've been very active in the DVD world trying to get DVD releases done right and I've seen some real success stories. These aren't Muppet related but just to show you what I mean:

1. Original "Termiator 2" DVD was anounced by "Live" entertainment as a "flipper" disc that would only be 4x3 lbxed. I started an emailing campaign to the studio and they haulted production on the disc because of the influx of consumer feedback. They delayed the release date by several months and not only released the title remastered in 16x9 anamorphic widescreen, but also released the world's first RSDL (reverse spiral dual layer) DVD so that the entire program could be watched continuously without having to turn the disc over in the middle of the movie.

2. I contacted Image entertainment and spoke with their head of production about their plans to release "Dances With Wolves" in 4x3 lbxed (using the existing laserdisc master). I told him that the laserdisc transfer for the theatrical version was terrible, and that he should use the transfer for the "extended cut" or, better yet, remaster the title in 16x9 anamorphic. He said that he couldn't get the rights to the extended cut and that they only had 5.1 audio stems for the theatrical version, but that he hadn't really thought about 16x9 anamorphic but that my suggestion was a good one. He went on to say that another studio was already preparing a 16x9 anamorphic transfer but it wouldn't be ready in time for their disc production time-line. I kindly suggested that Image delay their time-line and utilize that new 16x9 transfer.

Guess what happened. A week later an announcement went out anouncing the delay of Dances With Wolves and when it was released it boldly stated "16x9 widescreen" on the cover :wink:

3. I wrote several letters to United Artists asking that they release the Soundtrack to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on CD (only available on out-of-print LP). 3 years after I wrote those letters I received a call from the studio letting me know personally they had finally been able to release the soundtrack and that they had taken the best of care to remaster from the original audio stems with the highest fidelity. The P.R. person asked if they could give my letter to the one living (of the 2 who wrote the score) Sherman brother who was being honored at a banquet in honor of the CD release--she felt that he deserved to see how much appreciation there was for the music he had composed for the movie by children who had grown up with the film and were now adults. Of course I said yes :smile:

4. Need I remind everyone of the success we've all had with getting Willy Wonka in widescreen on DVD???

5. Why doyou think Disney is releasing *all* the School House Rock shorts on DVD??? Becuase the fans have told them that we want them and we want the *all* (originally Disney had planned on just doing a "compilation" or "best of" DVD).

Why am I tell you all this? Because these are just a FEW examples of how we, as consumers, can have a DIRECT impact on the products that we buy. Now is the time. Don't be shy!!! Tell Henson Company you REALLy want all those Fraggle Rock episodes...the whole series. Tell them you really want to watch them all and have them all to share with your family and kids...and not just a handful of "best of" episodes taken out of the context of the series.

Let them know you'll buy them. I know that not only will *I* buy them, but I'll buy my sister a set and my nephiew a set as soon as they're available. That's 3 sales of the complete series on DVD right there and I'm just one person making my voice heard.

Get motivated. Be dilligent and be patient. It can happen and it *will* happen if we make it happen.

-dave

Jessie

Reaction score
Everyone and Luke

Hey
I didn't mean to make you mad or anything, it's just that when I read your post it sounded to me like you were saying, "Why bother." I didn't mean to make you out like the villain or anything, but a lot of people have approached this negatively, & I just wanted to add my 2 cents. But I understand what you were saying.
Dave--That's really cool about all the things you've helped release. Hopefully the same thing will happen with Fraggles!
592 signatures--that's something, right?

Luke

Reaction score
Jessie :- It's ok - sometimes we all misinterpret things - i just want this petition to be as focused and effective as possible so we get what we want in a way where we get taken seriously and it's all do-able. I certainly wasn't saying "Why bother" !

David :- I noticed a Disney mention in there and that the fans had been effective in influencing their decisions. IF Disney buys the Henson company do you reckon we've got more chance of getting Fraggle on DVD in the format we want ? (bearing in mind the whole thing was filmed in fullscreen so we won't have a hoo-haa over that). Thinking about it - i tend to think so !

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
Yes I do.

If Disney got a hold of Henson Co. I've got a good feeling that if consumers like us gave consistent input that we wanted the Fraggle Rock Series to be made available that, after a while, they'd oblige us. (humorous dig about the non OAR issue :smile: )

Do you know any info as to the situation with Henson and Disney?

Of all the things I want to see on DVD, this series has got to be one of my top 5 :smile: