Fraggle Rock fanfic: Song Of A Midnight Place

Redsonga

Reaction score
Author's Note:
This whole idea came about on the LiveJournal Fraggles group when I was asked the question about if Mokey and Boober should get together. I said..well, you will find out later :wink:. But it all ties into my own idea about the future of the lifes of the main fraggles, about ten years after the show ended. Some may say I take it too seriously, but the way I see it the future of Mokey most of all is more than a bit depressing. And yet, keeping the fraggles true to themselfs, they are always able to find happiness in the small things, and know that with darkness there is light...

Song Of A Midnight Place
By Alicorn (aka Redsonga aka Alicornmoon )

~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~
Prologue
~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~

The design seemed to be far too perfect to be natural and yet, at the same time, something somehow born of the world itself.
The rock-formation of a lotus flower with three lonely petals reaching up toward the unseen sky beyond the stone ceiling looked as if they were carved from a prism of magical fabric.

If a passerby was to look closer however, they would have found that the colors actually came from a collection of ordinary pebbles. Blue starfoot, clear white weedring, and rare rubysend rocks, were all intently woven together with doozer glue, were polished bright by the hands of time upon the marker.

Even at its base, a small patch of snowdrop flowers grew on with a silent dignity of having once been faithfully cared for…

All this could be seen by any creature that passed by with even a bit of artistic wonder. But even the sharpest eye would have to be very quick to notice the slip of weathered paper tied tightly to the central petal of the lone headstone inscribed deeply with the fraggle lettering of 'Cantus'.

The paper was marked with a much neater fraggle hand in what had once be brighter shades of berry juice ink:

The leaf,
the leaf,
the one leaf,
from its place on high
it falls down, down
to die.
In death as in life
The song of a midnight place,
Sings
I love you.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Wow, it seems Fraggle Rock fanfics are just popping out of the bassboards these days! Very cool!
:smirk:
:excited:
:coy:
It's very interesting the pairing you have planned, as we have several stories here already in which Boober and Mokey are together. This one will fit in nicely!
Just remember Mokey's my favorite, so please try not to torture her too much...

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, it's not just you're everyday Mokey/Boober fic, at least I hope not. The start of the fic should be enough to show that:excited: ...
It's not so much torture as it is how I would think things would really play out...I never have read any other fraggle fics so my ideas are 100% unaffected by fandom :3

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I am already hooked! I also wrote a couple of Fraggle fics where Mokey and Boober get together, so I LOVE the pairing. :smile: Can't wait to read more.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
:O OMG!
-Clings to RedSonga-

I.Love.You.

X3 Postage...is needed.
Moooorreee...

-Puts on a weird face-
O_@ :big_grin:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Yes Redsonga, she's always like that.
:smirk: Love ya Squeaky!

No, I would hardly call any story in this story tipical, but I do recomend you read some of them. Beth is a great fraggle author, as is Ryan (Theprawncracker) and Christy B.

Redsonga

Reaction score
No, I would hardly call any story in this story tipical, but I do recomend you read some of them. Beth is a great fraggle author, as is Ryan (Theprawncracker) and Christy B.
I have this rule I live by: Never read any fanfic for the fandom I am writing for untill I am done with said fic :smile:. It helps, because I sometimes pick up other peoples themes without thinking about it...I try to keep my write pure of any outside things :3.
I'm glad everyone likes it, at first I thought it might be too dark, but I'm glad no one thinks so.
Next part will be posted..when it's done :smile:. I don't know how long this story is going to be so I am not putting it into chapters so much as writing part by part of one big story that will be slapped together in the end, so sometimes it might be 200 or 1500 words, I can't say right now, it just wants me to write it...*goes back to writing her own songs for said fic*:excited:

Redsonga

Reaction score
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The colorful berry ink mosaic wallpaper that decorated the small , dank, nook of a hole in the ground was a wonder to beyond

. A wonder that is, if anyone was not running and playing and otherwise whipping though the fraggle rock caves. Since nearly all fraggles did this by nature all their lifes, the artistic merit of the wall was left unnoticed, save for the watchful eyes of Boober.

Secretly, this was just as the little green fraggle liked it.

Inhaling the steam from the pot that was now shimmering beneath his wooden spoon with an almost merry bubbling sound, he raised his head slowly.

His gaze fell upon the wallpaper, which actually was a collection of single pages of parchment all lined up neatly together. Each page had no words printed upon them but as a simple picture, nearly a living travel history of every living thing in the rock:

Here a doodle of a flying dreedlebug , there a profile of a lily at night, and every dozen pictures or so a group doodle of five smiling fraggles together, done in a little bit more skilled hand each time.

Boober paused for a moment in turn at the profile of two flying birds weaving together a ribbon, and much farther down, the outline of an egg with green spots, colored in with soft blue watercolor.

His eyes trailed down to the newest looking paper, a bird flying though inky black darkness.

Boober sighed softly, turning his red furred head back to the business of his pot.

Suddenly a loud shrill voice rang out, nearly making him dunk his nose into the burning stew.

"Boober? Boober Where in the rock did that little…?"
A set of ginger red pigtails tailed into view from the doorway, followed soon after by their owners sunny yellow face. Which was at this moment smiling bright enough to light up the whole rock.

"Oh, there you are!" She continued, trotting in with was pace that would make a gorg dizzy.

Boober sighed again, this was the deeper more practiced sigh of the two. The sort of sigh, he admitted , he was getting a bit too use to using as the years went by. Still. He did try his best to talk…

"Oh hello Red, be careful I just…"

"Hey Boober guess what I just got from outer spaaa!"

The young fraggle slid halfway across the kitchen, and fell head over tail, ending her trip with a painful sounding crash.

"….Waxed the floor."

A pitiful whimper of a voice trailed up from the ground.
"I can see that. Why are..you..so extra clean..all of a sudden?"

"I just want everything to look nice for Mokey when she comes home. Something you could have been helping me with you know." He added, pointing his wooden spoon in Red's direction.

"Oh, that's a great welcome home present, " Red said, grunting as she tried to get a better hold on the broom she had found to keep herself upright.
'Hello Mokey, fancy not seeing you for the last five years, so sorry about you lifemate, here, step into my parlor and break your neck!"

Red said a quickly before the old broom gave way and sent her into another face-plant with the floor.

"Hmm. Maybe I did use a bit too much polish."

"I'll say…Anyway, I just got a new new..letter..from Gobo… and Wembley."

"What did they ?...ACK!" He yelped as Red grabbed him around the waist trying to steady herself and only succeeded in taking him down to.

With great effort Boober craned his neck up slowly to come eye to eye with the offending Red.

"You do realize if I wasn't in so much pain I'd force you to finally read a whole one these yourself don't you?" He spat

"Yes. Don't care. Read!" Red barked with her usual good manners.

"All right, all right. "Dear Red," Oh he's writing right to you now is he? What…"

"Please just read the card already…"

A polaroid photo overlooking Niagara Falls was papercliped to the top of the letter, showing Gobo sitting on a railing bravely and waving, only half of the scene viewable thanks to a telltale thumbprint over the lens.

“ Dear Red,
You won't believe what we found the other day: the end of outer space!

It's a magical, wonderful place where all the water of all the fraggle ponds go to crash over the edge!

The oddest part about it is that the falling water makes a mist that seems to act like a love potion for silly creatures!
Whenever they come near the edge, all the couples stop to hug and kiss.

Even Wembley got kissed by one of them, I think he was a little upset when we had to leave her.

Our little guy really is growing up!

We look forward to coming home for our yearly break, it will be great having the whole gang together again…If Mokey gets back before we do tell her hi for us!

Love,
Gobo & Wembley

P.S. Red I think… “

"..and thaaat's enough! Thank you Boober." Red said in a suddenly rushed tone, snatching the letter from Boobers hands from where she now stood above him.

"A little bit secretive are we?" Boober said, a rare playful tone in his voice.

"None of your beeswax!" Red said, crumbling the letter to her chest protectively, and holding up the attached photo to the light with an annoyed grumble "Why does Wembley always put his hand over the lifemirror?"

" Fine, fine. I really should be watching this stew."

"Oh no not Steeu ….!" Red's last comment trailed off from the inside of the cave as she was jettisoned into the distance in her attempt to cross the floor again.

"And maybe put down nice entryway rug." Boober added to himself.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Ah, that was great! Very funny what with the running gag of Red slipping on the waxed floor, and the banter between her and Boober. Great and a little wistful with Gobo saying that their little Wembly's growing up. Wonder what's happened with Mokey these past years? And I also wonder how Gobo and Wembly got hold of a camera. For a bit I thought maybe Doc was with them. Oh well, maybe it was a present from him when the boys started exploring together.

Please post more as soon as you can.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oooh, I like! I love how Gobo and Wembley have been exploring Outer Space, Boober is still good old Boober, Red falling on the waxed floor, the letter and Mokey, gone for five years? Oh I must know more about this! I can't wait to read more of this story, you have me hooked!