1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Fraggle Rock to return to HBO, remastered in HD on December 14, 2016

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Tordwashere, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Tordwashere

Tordwashere Member

LStein and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  2. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Wicked exciting!

3. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

First Sesame now Fraggles are on HBO again. What's next a new Muppet series on HBO?

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

This sounds exciting, i'm happy to see the Fraggles back at their original network. But, how do you convert a thirty-four year old show into HD?

5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Depends on what it was shot on. Films are especially easy to bring to HD because they have no set resolution like 1080p (this article can explain it better).

FR was shot on videotape, as far as I know, which doesn't necessarily clean up as well when upgraded to HD.

Someone at the JHC said this about the restorations:

The same company doing it also restored the Pee-Wee's Playhouse episodes for a recent release (video), but those seem to be shot on film and I doubt FR will look anywhere as good.

6. superboober

superboober Member

Good to have it back home. Now the question is, will they also bring back the HBO in Space Family Showcase variant intro to run before it? After all, since next year's the network's 45th anniversary anyway, now may be the time to start bringing back the past to prepare for the 50th.

7. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

I am so excited about this! I have seasons 1, 2, and 4 on DVD for sure. I've had those for many years, but they have many scratches on them. So i'm really happy that!
    Unfortunately, I don't have HBO. :(
    However, it's good for Fraggle Rock to come home to HBO.

8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Oh, big shock, it's going to be cropped into widescreen. Totally didn't see that coming.

Drtooth likes this.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've been saying this since Sesame Street got HBO's money. HBO doesn't really have a wealth of kid's programming, and blah blah blah streaming and being on a premium channel and all, I could see them reacquiring rights to an older show and remastering it, rather than spending the money and time to create a show completely new. I mean, we still don't know what the supposed Sesame Street spinoff program is. Besides SW's library (which doesn't venture further than the 00's Electric Company and Pinky Dinky Doo), they have those old 90's Family Fairy Tale things and Crashbox, which I still have no idea what its supposed to be. And a couple things other than that. I can see why they'd bring back FR. Maybe because it fits with Sesame Street too.

I've watched something on The Splat that added frames to either side to not have to crop and stretch the footage. It still was "HD" and widescreen, but they preserved the aspect ratio, covering the sides with various Nicktoons characters. A little busy, perhaps, but nothing as lame as the "HD" Simpsons reruns on FXX.

10. Tordwashere

Tordwashere Member

I don't know if this is the same release but the DVDs for PeeWees Playhouse look crystal clear, Really astounding quality (Better than a lot of shows/movies DVD releases from film, cough cough, The Matrix )

11. 123Sunny

123Sunny Active Member

Heard it on the radio this morning. All through the first half of (a three hour) class I couldn't stop waving my hands and squeaking. I can't wait!! With Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street airing, the Muppetyness will be kept well alive, even without the ABC series!!

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  12. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Active Member

may be this is a precursor to a movie?

MuppetSpot likes this.
  13. 123Sunny

123Sunny Active Member

OH GOSH I HOPE SO

there's been talk of one for awhile now huh?

14. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I want to know if the line "Gee, Gobo" that was edited out of The Hub's broadcast of one episode because one guy thought it sounded like a racial slur has been restored here.

15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Personally, I would be very happy if it didn't look like the trainwreck "remastering" that Freeform's broadcast of the Bells episode last year was. Why...why did they make it look like it was filmed? I mean, there's all those cleaned up DVD transfers they could have used, even if they wanted to cheat a widescreen ratio. It looked like the 30 something year old puppet show was 40 something years old and kept in a dank basement. HBO I'd hope won't have to edit episodes like 8 minute commercial break 5 times a half hour Freeform did.

123Sunny likes this.
  16. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  17. Oscarfan

FYI: Fraggle Rock comes to HBO GO, NOW and On Demand starting December 1.

18. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

This is exciting news, though I don't have HBO, any word on whether the remastered versions will be released on DVD / Blu Ray? I only own "Where it all Began" on DVD...

19. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the remastered episodes yet? What do they look like?

20. Oscarfan

They're not coming out until the 14th now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.