1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Fraggle Rocks nod to Peanuts

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by RKUNKLER, Jun 22, 2007.

1. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

I noticed the 3rd season episode is called 21.A Dark and Stormy Night. That is the exact line Snoopy types whenever he starts his book. Were the fraggle Rock writers Peanuts fans paying tribute to Snoopy or is that just a coincidence. What do you guys think.
  2. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

That opening sentence probably predates Peanuts. :smirk:
  3. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Actually, Peanuts, which first hit newspapers in 1949 as Li'l Folks to be renamed and retooled as Peanuts a year later, originated the "Dark and Stormy Night" thing in the early 60's.
  4. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Wow, that's interesting!
    :cool: Maybe you could answer a few more questions for me? I notice at least a few other titles of episodes that are either common frazes or takes on them:

"Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk" (Common daily life expression)
    The Incredible Shrinking, (also used in Muppet Babies to my knowledge)
    "The Man Who Wouldn't Be..."

I'm sure there are others...
    Do you or anyone else know where they originated?
    :) It's rather interesting, no?
  5. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

Thats very interesting and i dont know why they did that. Maybe someone can answer that.
  6. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

So, that phrase came from Peanuts then? Golly.
  7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That would be a reference to "The Increditble Shrinking Woman".
  8. Harvey Towers

Harvey Towers Active Member

The line "it was a dark and stormy night" originally comes from an 1830 novel by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton:

A competition now exists to attempt to find the worst possible opening line to a novel. More information can be found here: http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/
  9. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Not "Golly," you mean: Good grief. :)

Actually, there were no "security blankets" by name until Peanuts, and so many other things came from Schulz's mind that created such a grand thread of pop culture over the years in the blanket of American, and then worldly, culture.

Did anybody buy the book, "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night" by Snoopy? It's fantastic! It even has the cover art by Lucy Van Pelt in it, and is in the back of a collection of comic strips by the same name.

10. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

Thats good. I read that in my library. Thanks though it doesnt answer my question.
  11. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

Ah! I knew it was pre-Peanuts. :smirk:
  12. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

Harvey Towers thanks for finding that. Its great because i never read that before. i stil weonder why Fraggle rock did that.
  13. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

I think because it's just a well-known phrase that just fit the episode.

I think a lot of the Fraggle Rock episode titles are plays on umm.. famous words and sayings and things. Like " The Day The Music Died ". * thinks *... Umm... that is the title of the " ditzy " episode isn't it? * mutters to self * I should know this. :smirk:
  14. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

The Day The Music Died is also a line in Don mcleans American pie as well. You may be right Fodie.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I remember this from a Peanuts TV special years ago! It was Snoopy singing his ideas at the type writer while we see live action footage to go along with his story. Then Charlie Brown comes at the end saying, "What about the king?" Lol
  16. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

Yeah. I was gonna mention that but I wasn't sure if Don got that phrase from something else or not. :smirk:
  17. Foodie

Foodie Active Member

Oh, here's another Fraggle Rock title that's prolly a nod to something; " Fraggle Wars ". Eh? Eh? :smirk:
  18. Fozzie Bear

It would have been funny if, in Fraggle Wars, they had made some kind of 'robot' something to look like R2D2. Or some Fraggle character to resemble Chewbacca.

Or, maybe not...I'm glad FR didn't have parodies like that.
  19. Fozzie Bear

My world...is crushed... :concern:

That is a fantastic bit of trivia that I had NO IDEA about! How on earth did you learn about that?
  20. RKUNKLER

RKUNKLER New Member

heralde what special is that.