Fraggle Street

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I'm happy to say that I'm ready to start posting the many wonderful chapters of my new fanfic series, "Fraggle Street", a crossover between the two most inspirational Muppet programs, Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street. I worked up this first chapter in only an hour, which has to be the shortest time that I've ever spent working on only one chapter.:smile:

I hope everyone here on Muppet Central enjoys "Fraggle Street", because it's everything that you would find in FR and SS rolled up into one.:wink:

Chapter One: Doc Comes to the Street

“Oh, boy! It’s such an exhilarating feeling when you move into a new neighborhood, eh, Sprocket?” said Doc, an eccentric inventor whose best friend was his very intelligent dog, Sprocket. “I hear this little New York neighborhood is a very friendly place to be. Everyone’s always playing great games, singing wonderful songs, and…” Doc heard a sad growl come out of his canine companion. “Oh, Sprocket. I know that you miss living back at the old workshop by the sea, but…just think of the fun that we’ll have on Sesame Street!” Sprocket wasn’t convinced; he sadly stuck his head out of the window of Doc’s old car, as they drove through the Queensboro Bridge on a sunny day. Their destination was a small inner-city street known as Sesame Street, which was (as of that day) their new home.

Sesame Street was very friendly place, where the most amusing bunch of characters learn new things every day; the most notable thing there were the sunny days that swept up clouds away. Most Sesame Street natives described life in the neighborhood as a magic carpet ride and every door would open wide to happy people. One of the most distinct characters there was an eight-foot-tall yellow canary named Big Bird, who lived in a large nest on an abandoned lot near 123 Sesame Street, located behind the building’s garbage heap.

On that particular day, Big Bird was rollerblading through the street, passing by several of his friends: Bob, a music teacher who had lived on Sesame Street all his life; Gordon, a teacher, and his wife Susan; Telly, an eternally worrying purple monster; Bert and his roommate, Ernie; Cookie Monster, a ravenous monster with a passion for cookies, inedible manmade objects, and a well-balanced diet; Grover, a confident, entrepreneurial blue monster; Herry Monster, a big, unibrowed, furry light-blue monster who didn’t know his own strength; Maria and her friend, Luis; Mumford the Magician, whose tricks did not always have the intended effect; and then there was Mr. Hooper and his assistant, David.

“Hi, Mr. Looper!” Big Bird said, as he rollerbladed past Mr. Hooper’s store.

“Hello, Big Bird.” He said, and he graciously added, “And it’s Hooper.”

Big Bird rollerbladed throughout the entire neighborhood; there was even a few children that rollerbladed alongside him, until he began to lose his balance. Big Bird tried desperately to maintain himself and the children, knowing that he was going to fall, stood in front of him and behind him to catch him in case he did. Unfortunately, they didn’t anticipate on him falling sideways, which was exactly what he did as he crashed right into some garbage cans that were next to Oscar the Grouch’s.

“Hey, what’s the deal?!” Oscar shouted, from within his garbage can, and the lid flew open to allow the moody monster’s head to stick out and see Big Bird sitting in a pile of garbage bags. “Hey, didn’t know ya were into trash, turkey. I would’ve invited ya into my can more often.”

“Oh, I’m not into trash, Oscar.” Big Bird said. “I just fell.” Oscar seemed a bit insulted.

“Well…I’d appreciate it if you’d stay away from my home and learn to keep quiet!” Oscar snapped, as he ducked back into his garbage can and closed the lid over it, while Gordon and Susan came up to Big Bird and helped him up.

“You alright, Big Bird?” Gordon asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” He said. “My feathers cushioned my fall. I guess that’s one of the advantages to being a big bird.” Susan and Gordon laughed.

“You can say that again.” Gordon remarked, just as Mr. Hooper appeared at the scene, seeming very excited.

“Has he come yet? Is he here?” Mr. Hooper asked, and Susan, Gordon, and Big Bird looked around, all a little puzzled.

“Has who come, Mr. Hooper?” Gordon said.

“Jerome…or ‘Doc’ is what we’ve grown to call him.” Mr. Hooper said, while the other residents of Sesame Street arrived in time to hear about Mr. Hooper’s friend. “Jerome and I used to run a candy store business out in New Jersey, long before I came to Sesame Street. He had this idea of creating chocolate-flavored bubble gum, and I thought it was a kooky idea, but a very creative one, nevertheless.”

“Did he ever go on to make the gum?” Luis asked.

“He did.” Hooper replied. “And every kid on the block had cavities for months.” The group laughed, much to the dismay of Oscar, who couldn’t help but to eavesdrop on the discussion from inside his can. “Oh, I was so happy when old Jerome sent me a postcard, telling me that he was coming to Sesame Street and staying here for as long as…forever!”

“When is he supposed to arrive?” Bob asked, and before Mr. Hooper could’ve answered, the honking of an old vehicle echoed through the block and everyone turned to see Doc and Sprocket pulling up near the group. As soon as he parked his car, Doc happily jumped out and hugged Mr. Hooper.

“Harold! You haven’t changed a bit, old buddy!” Doc exclaimed.

“And you’re exactly the same way I left you back in New Jersey, Jerome.” Mr. Hooper said, and Sprocket barked at the new faces he was seeing in the neighborhood. “Looks like old Sprocket’s still his curious self.” Doc walked over to his car and opened the passenger-side door, allowing Sprocket to jump out and dash over to Big Bird, who he barked at curiously.

“Lively little fella.” Big Bird uttered.

“Relax, Sprocket.” Doc said. “It’s only Big Bird.” Doc took a moment to admire the sights of Big Bird and some of the monsters that lived on Sesame Street. “Amazing! Everyone’s exactly as you described them, Harold.” Doc looked towards Bob, Maria, Luis, Gordon, Susan, David, and some of the other grownups of Sesame Street, admiring them as well. “All of these friendly faces…it makes me feel so glad that Sprocket and I are going to live here.”

“You couldn’t have found a friendlier place than Sesame Street, Doc.” Bob stated.

“Can’t argue with that.” Doc remarked, turning his attention back to Hooper. “So, Harold, where’s this old workshop that you said I’ll be staying and working in?”

“It’s right next to my store.” Mr. Hooper said. “Come on, I’ll take you to it.”

“Splendid.” Doc said, and he turned to Sprocket, who was still barking at Big Bird. “Come along, Sprocket.” As soon as Sprocket heard his master summoning him, he stopped barking and dashed over to Doc, accidentally knocking over Oscar’s garbage can in the process.

“HEY!!!” Oscar yelled, as he and his garbage can rolled down the street and right up to the feet of Bruno the trash man. While lying down sideways in his garbage can, Oscar popped open the lid and saw Bruno in front of him. “Well, what are ya waitin’ for? Get me back where I was.” Bruno dropped what he was doing and picked up Oscar’s trashcan (with Oscar in it), carrying it back over to where it was.

End of Chapter One

There's more to come soon.:big_grin:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ooh, cool! I like it! I'm honestly excited to see what happens next- it's just so fun right now! Post when ready, please!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Amazing!! Simply amazing!! I love it!! Everyone is in perfect character!! Can't wait for more!! :excited:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wow! This is awesome! I was so excited when you came up with this concept and was really looking forward to seeing how it played out. I also like how you went back to the days when Mr. Hooper was still alive and David was still there! I think it's really neat that Doc and Mr. Hooper were good friends and ran a candy store back in the day. Anyway, this is really good stuff and I look forward to reading more!

G-MAN

Reaction score
This is so cool, a story set in the classic days, I can't wait to see the Fraggles pop up, and you just know Boober's bound to run into Oscar and his trash can. "Oh no, germs!", lol

muppetwriter

Reaction score
I'm so glad everyone's enjoying the story so far. I'm really putting a lot of thought into each chapter, so bear with me if it takes a while getting them posted. I should be getting Chapter Two in pretty soon.:wink:

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Let's see what's happening today on Fraggle Street.:smile:

Chapter Two: Doc Makes New Acquaintances​

“This isn’t gonna be perfect, Sprocket!” Doc exclaimed, as he and his furry friend looked around the abandoned, dusty, cluttered, old workshop. Doc walked up to a dirtied window and wiped some of the dirt from it to see Mr. Hooper’s store, where Big Bird was getting his favorite dish: a “Birdseed Milkshake.” “And look, Sprocket…we’re right across from Harold’s shop, just like he said we’d be.” Sprocket wiped off some dirt from the window and also looked out to see the store, barking enthusiastically. “Oh, I tell ya, Sprocket. We’re going to have some good times in this old workshop.” Doc noticed how there was a lot of boxes and crates left in the abandoned workshop. “First thing we’re going to do is move some of this junk out of the way.” Doc was about to go over and remove a small wooden box from a particular spot on the wall, until a small green, friendly frog named Kermit walked into Doc’s new workshop.

“Hi-ho.” He said, just before Sprocket ran up to him and started barking at him. “Whoa! Easy, boy, easy! I-I-I’m just passing through to say hello to our new neighbor. W-W-Will you be my neighbor?”

“Calm down, Sprocket.” Doc said. “It’s only Kermit. You know…the one who always does those great Nursery Rhyme reports.” Sprocket eased off of Kermit, who sighed in relief afterwards and focused on Doc.

“I’m glad you know so much about me, Doc.” Kermit said. “For a second there, I thought I was going to be frog chow.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t let Sprocket eat ya.” Doc said. “Besides, he’s not one of those dogs that are into frog legs.” Sprocket stuck his tongue out to show his hate towards frog legs, and Kermit felt a bit relieved.

“Well, that’s good.” He said. “So, Doc…I hear you and Mr. Hooper are really good friends. I’m guessing that means you’ve been around Sesame Street before, eh?”

“I’d visited one day, just to come see Harold and his new idea for Birdseed Milkshake.” Doc told Kermit. “In fact, that was the same day that I saw Big Bird, when he was just two years old. Doc let him try out the milkshake, and Big Bird just loved it.”

“You should see how he digs into Doc’s Birdseed Pizza.” Kermit said, just as he and Doc heard a loud crashing noise and noticed how several empty cardboard boxes had fallen over Sprocket, who was fooling around near them. “Boy, I don’t think this old workshop has ever been used here on Sesame Street.”

“Well, someone must’ve used it before,” Doc contradicted, “Otherwise, how did all of these boxes get here?”

“Storage.” Kermit uttered, as Doc went over to the small wooden box that he was going to move from the wall.

“I’m going to clean this place up and put it to the use that it was built for.” Doc stated, and he attempted to move the wooden box again, until Bert and Ernie came in.

“Hello, Doc. Hello, Kermit.” Ernie said. “Bert and I were just wondering if you needed any help cleaning this place up.”

“It looks like he’s going to need all the help he can get, Ernie.” Bert said, looking around the cluttered area. “This place looks like your room!”

“Huh…I guess that’s why I feel so at home here.” Ernie said.

“Doc, I’m sure you’ve heard of Bert and Ernie before.” Kermit said. “They’ve been on Sesame Street almost as long as Bob has.”

“Oh, yes! I’ve heard of an odd couple of roommates that…” Doc said, and he was abruptly cut off by Sprocket, who had accidentally knocked over some wooden crates that crashed to the floor. “Oh, Sprocket…I’m beginning to think you’re accident-prone, old boy.” Sprocket whimpered as Kermit walked over to the pile of shattered crates and analyzed them.

“Some of these boxes are older than my great-uncle, Skippy.” Kermit commented, just as he spotted something within the shattered crates that looked like a piece of paper. “Hmm, I thought some of these boxes were empty enough to build a clubhouse.” Kermit reached into the shattered crates and pulled out the rolled up sheet of paper that was as long as his own arm. “What in the world is this?” He unrolled the paper to see some strange writing and artwork of small humanoid creatures, about twenty-two inches tall, that came in a wide variety of colors and had tails that bear a tuft of fur on the end. “The kids here on Sesame Street sure have some bright imaginations.” But as Kermit looked at the artwork more closely, he realized that no child could do art that seemed so real; it was as if he was really staring at the creature. “How odd.”

“If we’re gonna clean this place up, let’s do it now.” Bert said, impatiently. “I’ve got to take Bernice to the annual ‘Pigeon Festival’ by this afternoon.”

“Okay, Bert.” Ernie said, grabbing a broom. “Let’s get to cleanin’.” And they all started cleaning up the cluttered room, they sang happily.

What’s the best way
To turn something that’s old
Into something that’s new?
Clean it up
That’s all you have to do
There’s really nothing to it
You just have tell yourself
It’ll shine like new!

They all had their way of cleaning up the old workshop: Bert cleaned everything nice and slow, while Ernie cleaned everything really fast and almost messed up the room even more; Sprocket was sweeping some areas with his tail and putting the dirt under a rug; Doc took all of the boxes and crates, moving them outside. When Doc finally got to the small wooden box that he had been attempting to move since he came in, he moved it aside and revealed a hole that was almost the size of the creatures on the paper that Kermit found. Kermit noticed the hole as soon as Doc moved the box away; curiously, he looked through it, only to go further inside when he spotted a deep tunnel.

“Hey, let’s take a break.” Ernie suggested. “All of this cleaning and singing is wearing me out.”

“Good idea.” Doc said. “We’ll go over to Harold’s store and grab ourselves some of his best dishes.”

“You coming, Kermit?” Bert said, and they all noticed how the frog was no longer in the room. “Wh…Where did he go?”

“He must’ve left while we were cleaning.” Doc assumed. “Oh, well…come on, boys. Let’s get something to eat.” Doc, Sprocket, Bert, and Ernie left the workshop, leaving behind a half-cleansed room and a frog that was on an interesting journey.

End of Chapter Two​

At this point, things get very interesting.:big_grin:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I already think things are pretty interesting! I love Doc and Sprocket interacting with Kermit, Ernie and Bert! And I know what Kermit's going to find and it's so exciting! You're doing a great job bringing these two shows together!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I love it soooo much!! It's simply amazing!! And I cannot wait to see what Kermit finds in that hole!! :excited: