Frank Oz: praise from a fan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Much has been said about Frank Oz' estrangement from the Muppets in recent years. Even though I would like to see him in some sort of production capacity, I fully respect and understand his choices. This is a blurb that touches on just a bit of his Muppety and film accomplishments over the years. Feel free to share your thoughts and feelings too!

:mad: Frank Oz :embarrassed:

Richard Frank Oznowicz was born May 25, 1944 in Hereford, England to puppeteer parents who were also Holocaust refugees. He moved to California at the age of five and eventually attended college in Oakland. He became a professional puppeteer during his teenage years and assisted Jim Henson with Rowlf the Dog on the Jimmy Dean Show in 1963.

Frank's work with Jim led to commercials, specials, Sesame Street, the Muppet Show, the performing of Star Wars character Yoda, Muppet movies and much more. His skills in special effects and directorial duties in the Dark Crystal and the Muppets Take Manhattan made him the perfect fit for Little Shop of Horrors in 1986. That film his directorial debut away from the Henson Company. He continued his work with the Muppets during this time and went on to direct Dirty Rotten Scoundrels in 1988.

Oz focused more on his career as a director after Jim Henson’s sudden death in 1990. Credits include What About Bob? HouseSitter, the Indian in the Cupboard, In & Out, Bowfinger, the Score, the Stepford Wives and most recently Death at a Funeral.

Frank popped in to perform a little with the when he could but ended up dubbing his classic voices more than actually providing the entire dedicated and brilliant performances of his pre-90s work. This includes the Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppets Tonight, some brief television appearances, Muppet Treasure Island before pretty much ending things with Muppets From Space. It is said that he makes the rare trip Sesame Street for a few sketches here and there, but after spending nearly forty years in the Muppet trenches he’s considered mostly retired. Many fans have a difficult time admitting this truth because it is such a hard one to swallow.

It’s hard to pinpoint the exact date Oz actually stepped away from his performing duties because it is more of a fading that occurred throughout the 90s and by the early 2000s. The tradition of his characters is kept alive in the skillful hands of Eric Jacobson for Fozzie, Piggy and Grover (among others) and David Rudman who does a very convincing Cookie Monster. Some critics have even ignorantly remarked how well Oz was carrying on the tradition even after his unofficial exit.

The truth is that nobody can achieve the skills that come so naturally to Frank Oz. There’s a special spontaneity, wit and life that no one can ever match. That spark had been nearly snuffed out with the dubbing of his dialogue while others performed his characters. It’s best they have been recast and the new performers are carrying on the tradition beautifully. We actually get to see more of his beloved characters these days.

Much of the Muppet team has changed over the decades. I remarked during the last special that the only original Electric Mayhem performer left is Dave Goelz with Zoot (and he’s the one that doesn’t speak much). To my knowledge, neither the Hensons nor Oz are stockholders in the Muppets brand since the Disney sale. Jim Henson and Richard Hunt are no longer with us and Jerry Nelson has moved on with the exception of a rare Count appearance. It is an honor that Steve Whitmire and Dave Goelz still put in the time and that later additions Bill Barretta and Eric Jacobson are solidly committed to their Muppeteering craft.

Not many people hold one job for four decades before retiring from everything. Frank Oz has given us enough laughs and entertainment to last us several lifetimes. He has honored us with his gifts and deserves only praise for his years of Muppet service. Thank you Mr. Oz!

:super:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Frank Oz is a wonderful person with wonderful muppets. Heck, besides Jerry Nelson, I think he had the most characters on TMS (main characters anyway). I'll admit, its sad that he's gone, and I'm glad that we have Eric and David with them now. But I'll also admit this, hes one heck-a-va director as well. It would be nice if he would come back, but I wouldn't force him, becasue in the end, he's following his dream. Following your dreams has always been apart of the Muppets, and since he stoped working for the muppets full time, he now has (and had) the oppretunity to follow his dreams. Anyone get what i'm saying here, or am i crazy?:crazy:

As frogboy4 put it, Thank you Frank Oz!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Frank's like a rock star, he left when he was on top and you can't thumb your nose at that. This is Jim's best friend we're talking about, and I admire the man tremendously.

Just out of curiosity, Frank most likely keeps in touch with Dave and Jerry I'd imagine, right? Like a phone call here or there, you think?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I definitely don't give him a hard time, it takes guts to leave a comfort, successful job like the Muppets and try new things. It's an inspiration to better yourself. And I've enjoyed several of his films.

His characters have always been so sharp and dead on in their humor and charm. His chemistry with Jim is something that can't be repeated. And even after all this time he could make me laugh in the bonus feature interviews of Stepford Wives, lol.

He may not be quite as "tuned in" to the Muppets nowadays as fans are, because that was his past, it's perfectly normal. But I appreciate the comments he made about the current state of Sesame Street. It's clear he cares about what is happening there. It's also clear he has fond memories of the people he worked with, which is and should be most important. :smile:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
What comments did he make about SS? I'd like to read the article if there is one, please.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear about his SS comments too. :insatiable:

Here's a YouTube Oz interview clip about Death at a Funeral where he briefly mentions the Muppets and Jim Henson. He is a rather humble and reserved man that really only broke away from that through his characters. He also explains how he likely will never retire (in general) and I wonder if that is why he still hasn't called it totally quit with Sesame. :super:

Also, I'd like to think the performers all get together with their Muppet counterparts from time to time for tea. He he. I know that doesn't happen, but I do know that some of the Fraggle performers have reuinited over the years.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
To repeat what other have already said here. His chemistry with Jim Henson is incomparable. And he looked back fondly at his time he and all the years that he spend working with Jim and that part of his life and career is over and he has moving to other things. He is grateful that Jim gave him the opportunity to do what he is doing today.

Thank you for giving the world so much and continuing to do so, Mr.Oz!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Also, I'd like to think the performers all get together with their Muppet counterparts from time to time for tea. He he. I know that doesn't happen, but I do know that some of the Fraggle performers have reuinited over the years.
The Jim Henson Legacy does stuff like that.

From the Jim Henson Legacy website:

"The Jim Henson Legacy decided to try and keep track of as many of Jim's extended creative family as possible.

The Amphibian Alumni Associates was formed to do just that and we welcome all past and present staff and freelance employees of the Jim Henson Company and Sesame Workshop to join its ranks. You're automatically a member, just drop us an e-mail to let us know where we can find you.

If you regularly receive invitations to Legacy events via e-mail, you're already enrolled and will continue to be invited to our special events. Please keep us informed if you move."​