Frank Oz: praise from a fan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Beautiful site. I hope they maintain it. It's very classic and Hensony. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What comments did he make about SS? I'd like to read the article if there is one, please.
Ah here it is!

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=34451&highlight=frank+interview

Q: How do you feel about the direction "Sesame Street" has gone in, from the early days when you and Jim Henson worked on it?
A: It's just become a kids show, instead of a hip show. I've told them that, so many times - there's nothing I can do. I've given a master class in that stuff, but they don't get it. They're very nice people, and there are some really gifted people there. But the show was begun by people who were actually performers and actors.

The business now, it's mainly about people who are more executive, and people who come from television, and there's a difference, I think. I don't often watch the show, but I did a little bit, to see how it's going, and it's become a little kiddie show, and it's very sad. It was never like that with Jim and I, and everyone else back then. We always f - - - ed around, and did it for ourselves, and that's changed. I probably should be politic and diplomatic - but I'm not.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ah here it is!

Q: How do you feel about the direction "Sesame Street" has gone in, from the early days when you and Jim Henson worked on it?
A: It's just become a kids show, instead of a hip show. I've told them that, so many times - there's nothing I can do. I've given a master class in that stuff, but they don't get it. They're very nice people, and there are some really gifted people there. But the show was begun by people who were actually performers and actors.

The business now, it's mainly about people who are more executive, and people who come from television, and there's a difference, I think. I don't often watch the show, but I did a little bit, to see how it's going, and it's become a little kiddie show, and it's very sad. It was never like that with Jim and I, and everyone else back then. We always f - - - ed around, and did it for ourselves, and that's changed. I probably should be politic and diplomatic - but I'm not.
Unfortunately, I agree with him. Don't get me wrong, the show is great for kids. I hope it never ends. But it's always been great for kids, even when it was, as he puts it, "hip" too. Not a little kiddie show, but an educational show that was fun and funny.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Ah here it is!

(thanks heralde)

Wow, blunt? I'm very curious if that's how he feels about SS, I wonder how he feels about the Classic Muppets. As a fan, it certainly gives me a perspective I'm confused about.

Also enjoyed the bit about doing voices for the crew on set, man I'd love to hear that.

Not that I mind at all, um, Frank certainly speaks... adult. I think it's awesome that Bert drops the "F bomb" a lot. I'd expect that from Animal though.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think this could clear part of it up. My favorite part of the interview:

Frank: People are much more discerning than other people think.

Q: Even kids?
A: More so!

It's true. People don't give kids enough credit, and that's why Sesame Street has started talking down a bit more to kids (not nearly as much as some shows), and I think that's the whole issue Frank has with it. Jim never talked down to kids, but felt that they could be your best audience.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Frank: People are much more discerning than other people think.

Q: Even kids?
A: More so!

It's true. People don't give kids enough credit, and that's why Sesame Street has started talking down a bit more to kids (not nearly as much as some shows), and I think that's the whole issue Frank has with it. Jim never talked down to kids, but felt that they could be your best audience.
Absolutley, they're young, not stupid, hehe. But society keeps trying to "baby" kids and protect them from being "confused" or "disapointed." Society will end up paying for it down the line.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
When I explain to folks about how wonderfully talented Frank Oz was with the Muppets, I say it as simply as possible: It took two puppeteers to replace him.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
When I explain to folks about how wonderfully talented Frank Oz was with the Muppets, I say it as simply as possible: It took two puppeteers to replace him.
And in some cases, even more than that! :embarrassed:

:insatiable: ---> David Rudman

:attitude: ---> Kevin Clash (now Eric Jacobson)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Absolutely, they're young, not stupid, hehe. But society keeps trying to "baby" kids and protect them from being "confused" or "disappointed." Society will end up paying for it down the line.
I totally agree with you there! You cannot protect and shelter a child forever.:stick_out_tongue:

Is Eric doing Sam in the new (and fantastic) YouTube video? I thought it sounded a little like Bill Baretta.
I thought it was Eric myself...