Free at Last!!!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I just took the last final exam of my college career. As of May 17, I will be a college graduate! And maybe have a couple weeks to breathe easy before I have to face the real world... I'm just relieved I got through it. After 17 years of school, to be suddenly done -- maybe for good -- is a pretty weird feeling. :crazy:
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Congratulations!! I can't even imagine what that would finally feel like!(I just finished my first final exam of my second sememster of my first year of college:big_grin:) What are your plans now? Good luck in whatever you do!:excited:

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
awsome!! congrates!!

youre luckey, i'm only in 10th in high school.

whats your major?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I remember when I finally finished college!!

It took me a while to get out of the restraining orders and peace bonds they placed on me, but I got finished with 'em alright!

Okay, so I was forced out and didn't finish, but YOU DID!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm very proud of you!!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm an English major (creative writing) with no particular plans right now. Time to figure that out! What I really want to do is write, in some way or another. Writing children's books would be my dream job. :smile:
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
What I really want to do is write, in some way or another. Writing children's books would be my dream job. :smile:
Then do it!:smile:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Go Erin!!!! Congrats!!!! It must be VERY exciting to be finished!!! (I know, my sister's almost done w/her Master's!!!) ...And, like ElectricMayhem sid, if you wanna do it, then do it!!! Follow your dreams and you can never go wrong! (Hey, that'd sound good on a Hallmark card! :wink: )

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, as Dr. Teeth or Floyd once said, "Ain't nothin' to it but to do it!"

There's entertainers and then the audience. The entertainment industry on ANY level is not easy to break into, whether doing something visual or audible, you have to keep in mind that there are millions out there with the same dream, and what you HAVE to do is find your personal niche that will make everyone else who is looking to be entertained (the audience) pay attention.

Find that gimmick in your story line and play off it. That's what sells, gimmicks!

Snoopy as a WWI Flying Ace or Lucy's Psychiatrist Booth, or Muley as DracMula or the Soul Mule...all gimmicks.

And you also want to remain as individual as possible, so try to NOT write what someone else has written, which is VERY hard to do (believe it or not), mainly because so much is in print.

I hope I said something that makes sense.

Kev

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! :smile: I am going to try to find my niche. I know what you mean about almost everything being written, Fozzie. It's Harold Bloom's dreaded "anxiety of influence" again -- every time I think I've come up with something original, I realize I've read something remarkably similar somewhere, sometime. Hmm...
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originality is HARD HARD HARD because, for as long as things have been around, it's not easy to do something that someone can't say "Looks like (insert whatever here)."

I strive to be original, in comics or writing, and many times I just desert a whole project because something seems like something else.

What's hard for me to do is escape Charles Schulz when cartooning or Jim Henson when doing puppetry stuff.

Muley is good because he IS his own personality, and while I write for my other characters in comics or whatever, I don't perform the puppets of them.

Whenever you write something that seems like something else to you, just keep going and make changes to that similarity-problem. When you complete the project, go back and rearrange it to make it your own for sure. The only advice I can think of for the problem.

What else do you think could be done to escape that situation?