Free Comic Book Day 2012 announced (includes Labyrinth)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the details and all the titles

Mouse Guard, Labyrinth and More HC Flip Book
Written by Jeremy Bastian, Nate Cosby, Royden Lepp, Jim McCann, Ted Naifeh and David Petersen
Illustrated by Jeremy Bastian, Chris Eliopoulos, Cory Godbey, Janet Lee, Royden Lepp and David Petersen. Cover by David Petersen
This Free Comic Book Day, Archaia offers readers the chance to experience history in the making with a FREE, gorgeous, 48-page, 6” x 9” full color hardcover original graphic novel featuring all-new material! David Petersen returns with an all-new Mouse Guard tale that’s guaranteed to tug at your heartstrings! Lose yourself once again in Jim Henson’s amazing world of Labyrinth, featuring a fantastical story from Eisner Award-nominee Ted Naifeh (Courtney Crumrin) and Cory Godbey (Fraggle Rock). Get a new perspective on Jet Jones in Royden Lepp’s critically acclaimed Rust, with a short story seen through the eyes of younger brother Oswald Taylor. Jeremy Bastian’s acclaimed Cursed Pirate Girl hits the high seas in this whimsical, swashbuckling tale of wonderland journeys and unimaginable dangers. Nate Cosby (Pigs) and Chris Eliopoulos (Franklin Richards) present Cow Boy, a comedy/western that tells the tale of a young bounty hunter determined to send his entire outlaw family to jail. And Jim McCann and Janet Lee follow up their Eisner Award-winning Return of the Dapper Men with an all-new short story that leads into the upcoming sequel, Time of the Dapper Men. Witness the origin of a new, major character! And…the return of 41?!
Still... the most exciting thing is Adventure Time. Too bad it has to share a flip... The Mega Man would interest me more had it not been a first issue reprint. Seems they went ahead of the usual Sonic the Hedgehog comic (which at least has new storylines most of the time).

But YAY! Labyrinth for Labyrinth fans.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
YAY for Labyrinth!:news::super:
(If we ever expand these smilies again, it'd be great to have one for Hoggle or Ludo, maybe- something to represent one of my favorite Henson fantasy movies.)

beaker

Reaction score
Adventure Time? Thats now a comic? Ive come to really hate Adventure Time and all the annoying fad fans. But Labyrinth is always good. Too bad they arent putting out Fraggle stuff, but theyve done a wonderful job with Fraggle Rock

Its so funny, last year at Wondercon I was in the Fraggle Rock/Mousegaurd/Archaia line, and idiots kept cutting in front of me. So an hour later I had enough, and cut back back in front of dumb fangirls but everyone including the artists gave me bad looks thinking I was the one who was cutting. I just said "yeah, i was into fraggle rock before you guys were even a twinkle in your dad's sack...thanks"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Adventure Time? Thats now a comic? Ive come to really hate Adventure Time and all the annoying fad fans.
I really like Adventure Time, but I think Regular Show is better all around. I really hope that blows up even bigger than AT. All I saw was like one T-Shirt at Hot Topic... that was it. Still, I bet Boom screws up the license just like the Disney one. I'm just happy to see there's another comic to buy every month... though I am shocked DC comics isn't putting it out. The Peanuts one doesn't really excite me all that much.

But Labyrinth is always good. Too bad they arent putting out Fraggle stuff, but theyve done a wonderful job with Fraggle Rock
I didn't even get to go to the comic store on Halloween and beg the comic guys to give someone in their late 20's a Fraggle Rock comic from the free kiddy selection. I'm glad Archaia is digging deep through the Henson license (though it seems they absolutely didn't get the point of Skrumps at all... but then again, I just watched a couple last night and it seemed FAR from a kiddy thing), but I want to see the Fraggle Rock comics come back. They're the only ones who know what they're doing with them anyway. I haven't seen Labyrinth since I was very young and can barely remember anything, but that one's coming back in a big way. I'm surprised that a Labyrinth movie isn't the one that keeps almost getting to preproduction and folding completely every time.

beaker

Reaction score
I really like Adventure Time, but I think Regular Show is better all around. I really hope that blows up even bigger than AT. All I saw was like one T-Shirt at Hot Topic... that was it. Still, I bet Boom screws up the license just like the Disney one. I'm just happy to see there's another comic to buy every month... though I am shocked DC comics isn't putting it out. The Peanuts one doesn't really excite me all that much.

I didn't even get to go to the comic store on Halloween and beg the comic guys to give someone in their late 20's a Fraggle Rock comic from the free kiddy selection. I'm glad Archaia is digging deep through the Henson license (though it seems they absolutely didn't get the point of Skrumps at all... but then again, I just watched a couple last night and it seemed FAR from a kiddy thing), but I want to see the Fraggle Rock comics come back. They're the only ones who know what they're doing with them anyway. I haven't seen Labyrinth since I was very young and can barely remember anything, but that one's coming back in a big way. I'm surprised that a Labyrinth movie isn't the one that keeps almost getting to preproduction and folding completely every time.
Every convention I go to, every forum Im on, everyone frickin' loves Adventure Time. I mean I get the random innocent kooky nature of it, its just not my bag. I still like Invader Zim, but again it got too popular with people(tho, not in the way that would sustain it on the network) Yeah Regular Show is actually funny and the writers reference stuff I can relate too. People have said my animated series seems influenced by Regular Show and I wouldnt call that too inaccurate.

Oh and the My Little Pony thing...I just hate memes. That, nyan cat. Thats why I satirize that stuff in my cartoon. I think like Angry Birds, I got so sick of the hype before I even saw Adv Time that I was already soured. I LOVE Dan Vs on the Hub, even some of Bob's Burgers. So its not that I dont like modern cartoons. I reallllly wanted to get into Phineas and Ferb, but that art style and some of the quirks of it prevent me from really being a fan.

Wait Fraggle Rock series ended? Well what they had was amazing, so thats good

Why wouldnt the guy give you a free comic? Im an almost 34 year old and I still sometimes order kids meals

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait Fraggle Rock series ended? Well what they had was amazing, so thats good
I dunno if it ended... they were doing volumes of three. it just seems like they haven't made any announcements about a third volume yet. I think they might, but I haven't heard anything yet. I know they're reprinting those Marvel Comics in nice collections though. Don't know when volume 2 of that comes out.

Why wouldnt the guy give you a free comic? Im an almost 34 year old and I still sometimes order kids meals
I assumed they'd have a kids first policy... but I don't even think any of those places gave them out that year. I know one that bundled a bunch of the together and sold them for 6 bucks for a large bunch of them, and I almost considered buying it just for the FR one... but that was it. I know one place that saves their Halloween comics for FCBD, so I might just wait until then.

Every convention I go to, every forum Im on, everyone frickin' loves Adventure Time. I mean I get the random innocent kooky nature of it, its just not my bag. I still like Invader Zim, but again it got too popular with people(tho, not in the way that would sustain it on the network) Yeah Regular Show is actually funny and the writers reference stuff I can relate too. People have said my animated series seems influenced by Regular Show and I wouldnt call that too inaccurate.

Oh and the My Little Pony thing...I just hate memes. That, nyan cat. Thats why I satirize that stuff in my cartoon. I think like Angry Birds, I got so sick of the hype before I even saw Adv Time that I was already soured. I LOVE Dan Vs on the Hub, even some of Bob's Burgers. So its not that I dont like modern cartoons. I reallllly wanted to get into Phineas and Ferb, but that art style and some of the quirks of it prevent me from really being a fan.
AT is something I didn't think I'd like at all, same with Regular Show. But I got into both of them watching a few episodes... but AT took a little longer to sink in than Regular Show, which grabbed me instantly. I love all the success AT is getting, but I DESPERATELY want an official High Five Ghost plush and a shirt I can get at Kohls or J.C. Penny.

Yeah, I hate most Internet memes too (though I can't get enough Pingas for some reason)... I see they have all these Annoying Orange shirts and plush and I'm like... Man, if only my parents had the money to get me all those cameras and expensive video editing softwares like these guys obviously did... we'd have something on a T-shirt WORTH wearing. I don't get it OR that poptart cat thing...

as for the other comics, I wonder what the small indie print comics will offer. I was extremely happy for the Inspector Gadget one last year (even though only one place had it and it was the very last place I checked)... I really wish the Mega Man one was a new, single issue story like Sonic usually is (with the exception of that reprint of the first issue and the retrospective issue). other than that I miss whatever free Disney Donald Duck/Scrooge McDuck comic they used to give away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A more complete list containing Silver selections

Some seriously weird titles (My Favorite Martian?!?)

Donald Duck, Sonic the Hedgehog, Moomins, Smurfs, Voltron...

I hope they're not stingy as heck this year with these... I'm still drooling over Adventure Time... but I LOVE old Donald Duck reprints. And Moomins... I always wanted to give that a look...

DTWolf

Reaction score
Since this is little more than a week away, it must be time to drag this thread up to the top of the list.

Free Comic Book Day is Saturday, 5 May 2012! Find a local comic shop* and go pick up a free hardcover comic with Labyrinth in it! The actual cover will feature Mouse Guard, but note the "Labyrinth" in the title.

See a description here:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/1041?stockItemID=STK460061

*Most comic shops in the U.S. will be participating. If you're in doubt, call your local store and ask. Don't know your local comics store? There's a find-a-store link on the FCBD website.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I'm afraid none of my LCS's will carry the "Labyrinth" book, at least not the one I actually enjoy going to because the people are nice there:sympathy:.